Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:39 PM

765 posts, read 988,235 times

Advertisements

Its just a job i go in at 8am and leave at 5pm at 501 im out not my problem .
cant wait for the weekends saturday and sunday.
what do you guys think of this mindset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 12:42 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,817,714 times
It's fine I guess, depending on the job. Some are conducive to that while others are not.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:43 PM

17,369 posts, read 15,524,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
No, it's not "just a job." It is my source of income, I depend on it, my family depends on it, and as such, I work with a sense of pride and urgency. I treat it very much like I did my sports team growing up: I strive to be the best possible.

That said, when it is time for me to leave the office, I leave. If I set myself to work from 7-3, I leave at 3. If I MUST stay an extra hour for whatever reason, I typically either get paid overtime, or get to take an hour off later in the week.

I can't wait for weekends because I get time off to enjoy my hard work with my family.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,000,392 times
Quote:
If you have a job that allows for that mindset, then I think it's awesome. My job is like that and I don't think about work when I'm not here. It works for me. I would hate it if I was worrying about my job all the time.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,029,352 times
At age 54 now, it works for me. Been in my field for for almost 30 years, at current job for almost 20. Been there, done that no challenge anymore. It’s all about making the most money for the least amount of work.

Luckily, I’m union covered, with great bennies. Hoping to coast – doing the least amount of work – while earning just enough brownie points for boss to think I care….until 65. It’s just a gig. One I need to eat and pay my bills – but the thrill – and caring about the company, per se, is looong gone.

I don't even really care about whether I do a good job with MY work anymore, not for personal pride or conscientiousness. After 30 years I think I've proven I can do more if I need to. But I don't need to so I don't. I care- and do enough not to make more work for other people. That's it. I work on projects that are passed on to other people for completion so if my work has mistakes that makes more work for them. You never want to do that because it just makes enemies from co-workers you might need to save your butt one day, or who'd go to management about it. So that's why I care just enough to do the job not a bit more. So other than staying when I think I could earn some brownie point -- when my shift is over -- I'm out.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear that you are not finding any personal pride from your work, unfortunately that's quite common. Many people do work just for the paycheck so it's normal, but sad. There are people like me, however, that have a job with great pay and benefits that we look forward to, and feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of each day. I hope you find one some day and don't have to suffer from this
lack of motivation your whole career.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:14 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,852,902 times
Quote:
I'd say the vast majority of people have this mindset. I readily admit that my job is just a paycheck to me. That is the sole reason for me showing up to work everyday. Most people feel that way.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:27 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
Quote:
.......what do you guys think of this mindset?
I think that if there is a RIF, you might find yourself jobless with only lukewarm references from the company that let you go.

I also think that your mindset isn't uncommon, especially in the lower paid jobs.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:29 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
....... making the most money for the least amount of work.........

Luckily, I’m union covered, with great bennies. Hoping to coast – doing the least amount of work –.......
Add that is the problem with unions and why employers don't want them. Union workers turn into slackers and the business can't get rid of them.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:42 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,852,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Add that is the problem with unions and why employers don't want them. Union workers turn into slackers and the business can't get rid of them.
Very true. I audited a company where the workers were unionized and there was a small group of them "working" near where I was sitting. They spent a good 6-7 hours of the day facing in the opposite direction of their workstations, talking to each other, every single day. Most of them have been there for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment