Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:40 AM

223 posts, read 321,446 times

Advertisements

My husband had a similar commute in terms of mileage for two years. We lived just outside of Trenton and he commuted to Newark. It was absolute hell on earth for him. He was a teacher in one of the high schools, though, and hated it, so that didn't help matters. It would routinely take 1.25 hours, and sometimes it was much longer if there was an accident. They were doing the widening project on the Turnpike at that time, too, so that would cause delays. He would get very anxious and sad on Sunday evenings, and the whole situation made him depressed. He would also get tired on his drives home since he had to get up at 5:15 every morning.

One day, he pulled off at the Molly Pitcher rest stop on the way home to take a brief nap and walk around a bit. Well, he must have blacked out for a second because before he knew it, he was in an accident which caused almost $1,500 in damage to his car. He only ran over the curb going about 25 mph, since he was driving into the parking lot. That was a scary wake-up call for us. Thank god he got laid off from that job. We still live outside of Trenton and he works in Trenton, so the commute is now under 15 minutes and he loves it.

TL;DR - don't do it. A long commute is soul-crushing and depressing, especially in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:48 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I don't see why people would subject themselves to this torture. If you hate these long commutes, move somewhere where you won't have this kind of commute and take the commensurate pay cut.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:16 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Don't do it. I live about 30 couple miles away from work and it takes me around 40 minutes. Thankfully unless there is an accident I don't have traffic to deal with and I am moving the whole time. When I lived in Denver I did a commute that was less distance, but the traffic was brutal and it took me 45-60 minutes. I hate my commute, but I like my job and I like my house in a cheaper COL area, so I don't see myself changing anytime soon. It is what it is, but my quality of life would be so much better if I had a short drive. It's easier for you to tell yourself now it won't be so bad and you'll find something closer, but what if you don't? That long of a drive is going to wear you down over time. I'm at my absolute max. There's no way I would be able to handle a drive even a minute longer than what I do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment