Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 03:58 PM

305 posts, read 726,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
A commission-based salesperson can assuredly control the extent to which those who purchase from them later return their purchases. So we're not talking about "uncontrollable factors". And no, there is not general agreement that government should impose a 90 day limit on returns policies, much less 5 or 10 day limits. That kind of interference is a non-starter in hybrid economy like ours.
Okay then, you try puttting up with customers taking advantage of my store's excuse of a rental service and losing money off your paycheck for it because customers can't think before they buy. You're dealing with the most unfair system known to man.

Try having customers return an old sweater from a year ago, because all of a sudden, they don't need it anymore.

Rude customers trying to get away with repurchasing crap for cheap.

Underwear with poop and period on it because "I just don't like it."

People returning things because they just don't want it anymore.

People returning things after a year of purchasing them with no tags, labels and they paid it with cash.

This is why customers with a box of returns get sent to another register everytime they want to do a return. No one at work wants to deal with them because if they don't have tickets or a receipt, it's time consuming and a huge pain in the butt to have to call the operator to look up the purchase, or having to deal with customers getting pissed off like it's suddenly your fault that they have no proof of purchase and they're getting $0.25 for a $200 suit. No one gains anything from their returns unless it's an exchange, which someone loses money for their return and someone gains money from their exchange.

If I see a $300 purchase with my employee number on the receipt, I have to use every fiber of my being not to give customers a dirty look. It's not their fault that I'm mad, but I'm sick and tired of dealing with such a BS system that penalizes me for things I have no control over. At this rate I have no choice but to employ really sneaky tactics to keep myself from getting screwed over, like ripping out tags when customers aren't looking, hiding the receipt and pretending to have forgotten it, etc.

Unless someone is buying something worth over $50, forget expecting people at my store to help you. I've seen customers get sent to as many as 7 different registers before they lose it.

I'm currently looking for a new job, because this job drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,836,583 times
Quote:
At this rate I have no choice but to employ really sneaky tactics to keep myself from getting screwed over,
Of course you have a choice. You always have a choice. You could make the choice to leave, which sounds like the right choice. But the choice to vandalize someone else's property is by no means justified because you are unhappy with the terms of your employment. I empathize with your predicament because I have worked for minimum wage before, but the only person responsible for where you work is you. I bitched and moaned and ultimately quit over something I felt was unfair, and it was a great decision. I don't hate my former employer for it: they hired the next guy waiting for the job.

Quote:
You're dealing with the most unfair system known to man.
A little bit of Russian or Chinese history would go a long way toward illustrating some of the systems far superior at being unfair to man.

In your case, your choice is that your bonus is more important than your integrity. You value your percentage of a sale greater than the customer that paid the full price: you'd rather have $10 in your pocket than return their $100 (or whatever) because of The Man.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,016,773 times
I agree,OP, your job should have offered no commissions. Now you'd know your hourly rate all the time. Just pay the minimum wage, end retail commissions, no draws to be repaid.

Happy?

Old 01-07-2015, 04:33 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,738,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Okay then, you try puttting up with customers taking advantage of my store's excuse of a rental service and losing money off your paycheck for it because customers can't think before they buy.
Tough. If you don't like the arrangement you have then that's on you, since you accepted the terms and conditions of employment. Stop trying to shift the foreseeable ramifications of your personal decision onto others.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:13 PM

80 posts, read 70,581 times
Wtf why don't they just wait till the return period has ended to pay commission? Problem solved.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:05 PM
bUU

That's the effect of the current policy, with a kicker being the ability to effectively borrow against future commission earned based on sales made that are still within the return period.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:13 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,172,454 times
14 hours a week I'd would have left already. That's not even worth getting out of bed for.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 PM

981 posts, read 1,625,129 times
Quote:
Tough. If you don't like the arrangement you have then that's on you, since you accepted the terms and conditions of employment. Stop trying to shift the foreseeable ramifications of your personal decision onto others.
Good thing you weren't around for the labor rights movement.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:44 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Quote:
I think the concern is nothing more than sour grapes over the innate power balance/imbalance in our labor economy. Yes: Employers have lots of power because of the money they control. We get it - being an employee sucks in an environment where government doesn't ensure that people are paid a living wage. But there is nothing specific about the commission scenarios we're talking about that make it any more egregious than the man mopping floors in the cellar of an office tower overnight, earning little more than minimum wage, and therefore unable to pay his family's own way. Tough is tough no matter how you slice it.
Quote:

Good thing you weren't around for the labor rights movement.
Good thing people like me were around for the labor rights movement - people who believe in integrity and honor rather than just rabid dogs attacking business. The labor rights movement was about motivating society to change its standard practices and arrangements regarding employment. The labor rights movement had nothing to do with making excuses for individuals who made agreements they didn't intend to live up to.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:12 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,836,583 times
Some achievements of the labor movement in the 20th century:

- 40 hour work week / overtime
- Workplace safety standards
- Minimum wage
- Collective bargaining

Not on the list:

- Health care (businesses came up with this one during WW2 when they weren't allowed to raise pay)
- Commissions
- Generous return policies

Sounds like a red herring to me. The easy solution here has already been proposed: just wait 3 months before you pay out your commission. I don't see any incentive for Macy's not to do this, which leads me to wonder whether they'd prefer to but their employees want the short term reward along with the risk of losing it. Any retail managers on city-data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment