Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 AM

4,381 posts, read 7,327,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
This wouldn't occur to my current employers. The bulk of our start-up company is under 50. However, as a single woman, my life would be considerably easier if I had a stay-at-home spouse as all our top executives do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I really can't see this being an issue. With todays work life balance or lack of it I would actually see employers preferring single people. I hear alot of women on these boards complaining of getting hints employers would prefer if they weren't married or didn't have children. A spouse ties you down in terms of not being as ready to move for promotions and not being able to work insancely long hours.

Maybe for a CEO position if you're in a role where your entertaining other clietns and there wives but I really can't see this being a big issue.
I've been asked point-blank in job interviews about my marital status, or asked after not volunteering such information in answer to the ubiquitous "tell me about yourself" question, so it must matter to some employers.

Traditionally, the thinking has been that a married person (particularly a male) is someone who has demonstrated maturity and accepted responsibility (as opposed to a single person who may be a little immature, less responsible, not as committed, etc.).

In the past, I've worked for entrepreneurial and/or product development employers, and the work hours can be insane. Sometimes, there are stretches where you are working late evenings as well as weekends. If you are single, that might be a plus in the eyes of an employer like that, but for the employee, it's not always easier. If you have a spouse who is either stay-at-home, or has a less-demanding job, they can be a big help to their partner, if they are willing to handle the domestic chores, like laundry, shopping, meal preparation, etc. The single person has to work all of that in during the limited off time they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:36 AM

9,907 posts, read 14,286,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I've been asked point-blank in job interviews about my marital status,
They should never ask this question.

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Marital Status or Number of Children

Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,048,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
But they do and can. It's not illegal to ask, only to use the answer in a discriminatory decision.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,494,575 times
Nobody has asked about my marital status in a while. I don't offer that information either. I'm not ashamed to be divorced, but it is irrelevant to my ability to do the job.

I do think my gender and ethnicity eliminate me from a lot of positions, but I can't prove it.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:32 AM

9,907 posts, read 14,286,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
But they do and can. It's not illegal to ask, only to use the answer in a discriminatory decision.
I am aware it's not illegal, but can appear discrimanatory. I've never had a interviewer ask me about family status, not would I ever ask someone I was interviewing. It's just not a relevant peice of information,

Old 12-30-2014, 09:33 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,705,261 times
Is this a MadMen plot?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:04 AM

89,203 posts, read 85,980,213 times
My uncle was put through the wringer back in the late 50s, early 60s, when he finished college and applied for a sales management position with a chemical firm that manufactured fire protection systems for oil companies. He was asked if he was married, if his marriage was stable, very personal questions, to the point where he just about decided to drop out of the running when he got the job.

The job involved world travel at a moment's notice--if there was a fire at an oil refinery in Venezuela, he had to go there. They said they didn't want to put the training into someone who was not going to be able to survive this kind of schedule because of personal concerns.

Probably couldn't get away with that now, but that's how it was then. He became a wealthy man, too, later starting his own fire protection systems company.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:49 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,160,047 times
I formerly worked in the human resources field before being laid off and not once was marriage ever an issue with hiring or promoting a candidate. In fact, my company prohibited involving an employee's personal life in employment matters.

If anything I would think most companies nowadays would prefer employees to be single.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,136,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Admittedly, this was a far greater issue back in the Seventies when I was starting out, but I'd like to know how many of us here have had their employers drop hints that the path to advancement would be easier for married candidates. And I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who had to deal with it in the days when the prejudice was out in the open. Did a hurried or pressured decision on this issue come back to haunt you later?

I left college in 1972, after an unsuccessful attempt at graduate study. My first "real" job was interesting and challenging enough, but my boss (very much a product of the World War II generation) made it clear early on that I could expect little in the way of advancement so long as I remained single, and proved his point by promoting two men whose performance statistics were somewhat lower than mine, but who were engaged. Having only recently emerged from a college-centered community where men outnumbered women by a 2-1 ratio, but settling in a blue-collar town with a much smaller (and picked-over) set of available singles, I found myself on the horns of a dilemma.

Anyone familiar with the culture of the "organization man", and the much-stronger stigma against both cohabitation and homosexuality which prevailed in the Fifties and Sixties can probably add a story or two of their own.
Leave the crappy little town.

There lots of wonderful women in the cities. Women are great. Granted, I already married the best one, but there are still several great candidates for you

Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,136,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nobody has asked about my marital status in a while. I don't offer that information either. I'm not ashamed to be divorced, but it is irrelevant to my ability to do the job.

I do think my gender and ethnicity eliminate me from a lot of positions, but I can't prove it.
People ask me about my marital status, but it is usually commenting after seeing the ring. It is also usually attractive women my age, so I take it as a compliment that they think my wife found a good catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment