Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,163,667 times

Advertisements

OP is an adult. There are times when we have to do things we don't want to do. If OP does not show up, it will look bad on him/her. All he/she has to do is make a brief appearance and leave. If OP wants to climb the corporate ladder, he/she has to mingle and attend corporate events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 11:02 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,478,579 times
Just an observation from up here in Canada.........Business leaders here are no longer offering alcoholic drinks to their employees at parties , due to court decisions here that have held the company responsible, for any employee that drives home drunk, and has an accident, or injures somebody. The same law applies to bar owners, and their employees, who serve to the point of intoxication. The liability is just too much to hand out booze to employees, regardless of the occasion. One car accident, following a company party, that results in a death, and the resulting civil trial monetary award, could bankrupt a small company.

I think that it is a basic difference in the attitude about driving after drinking, between Canada and the US. We treat drunk driving as a criminal offence, with harsh penalties, in the US not so much.

To the OP, go and show your face, talk to people, have a laugh, go home.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:03 AM

3,536 posts, read 801,744 times
if it is a party for 8 or 10 then yes you mite be missed ..if it is a party for 30 or more dont go if you dont want to .. i`ve never been to a company function in my 26 years of epmploy and no one has ever mentioned it ..

Old 12-27-2014, 11:13 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,048,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
OP is an adult. There are times when we have to do things we don't want to do. If OP does not show up, it will look bad on him/her. All he/she has to do is make a brief appearance and leave. If OP wants to climb the corporate ladder, he/she has to mingle and attend corporate events.
I have to ask, would you go if you got sick or had a cousin come in unexpected? I agree that it might be a knock but it's not as big of a knock if you said, no I didn't feel like going.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have to ask, would you go if you got sick or had a cousin come in unexpected? I agree that it might be a knock but it's not as big of a knock if you said, no I didn't feel like going.
Obviously, if i was sick i would not go. I would either take my cousin or leave him at home. (i have to handle some business i will be back. I pay MY bills not my cousin).

If there is a legitimate excuse then it wouldn't be a knock but if you state that i didn't feel like going it will reflect the maturity of the OP. In business, you are required to do grunt work. It's a party at an expensive venue. (free food/drinks,etc) All OP has to do is show up make small talk, eat food and leave.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Obviously, if i was sick i would not go. I would either take my cousin or leave him at home. (i have to handle some business i will be back. I pay MY bills not my cousin).

If there is a legitimate excuse then it wouldn't be a knock but if you state that i didn't feel like going it will reflect the maturity of the OP. In business, you are required to do grunt work. It's a party at an expensive venue. (free food/drinks,etc) All OP has to do is show up make small talk, eat food and leave.
So what is wrong with saying "I fell ill" if it is a white lie you stick to and not change based on the person or post on Facebook that you are out with friends or seeing a movie at a theater...

Old 12-27-2014, 03:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,935,291 times
Quote:
So what is wrong with saying "I fell ill" if it is a white lie you stick to and not change based on the person or post on Facebook that you are out with friends or seeing a movie at a theater...
Too many idiots do such...busted

Old 12-27-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Are you anti-social? It's a free party with food and drinks. He/she can bring the boy/girlfriend to the party. OP can mingle and network. He/she does not has to stay all night. Just say hello to all your co-workers, chit-chat for a few minutes, eat some food, wait for the corporate speech, maybe say hello to the head bosses, and then leave. 2 to 3 hours won't kill OP. This is the 20th Anniversary for the company so it's a milestone. All his other co-workers are attending. It will look bad if he does not attend just because he doesn't want to go.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Are you anti-social? It's a free party with food and drinks. He/she can bring the boy/girlfriend to the party. OP can mingle and network. He/she does not has to stay all night. Just say hello to all your co-workers, chit-chat for a few minutes, eat some food, wait for the corporate speech, maybe say hello to the head bosses, and then leave. 2 to 3 hours won't kill OP. This is the 20th Anniversary for the company so it's a milestone. All his other co-workers are attending. It will look bad if he does not attend just because he doesn't want to go.
Why is this about me when it isnt? I said the op could use that if they honestly didn't want to go despite RSVPing like they did and not go. As I mentioned so long as the OP just dont do anything contrary to the lie like go see a movie and post it on social media or claim a headache to one employee and a toothache to another. To make a lie work, you need to pick an excuse and stick with it.

Would I do it, perhaps but not for a silly reason like for the food and drink. With my luck the beer they have is bud light over miller and the food spread is horrible or stuff I don't like or can't eat. I would go just to make appearances and network a little and then go provided I am not sick, the car don't start, etc.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:49 PM

18,774 posts, read 18,299,140 times
If the OP goes they should only drink moderately. Being new coworkers will remember if you make a fool of yourself. It isn't only that; but some coworkers will post everything on the social media. You don't want anything coming back to haunt you.

You could leave early - but try not to be the first. It is about networking and showing that you are a 'team' player. You just do not want to give anybody ammunition to be held against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment