Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,322,246 times

Advertisements

Some do, some don't. Your first major hurdle is going to be the civil service test. Unless you score well enough on the test to move on, the type of degree you have doesn't mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 06:57 PM

160 posts, read 288,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
Forestry might be a good degree. You might also look into seasonal jobs or Americorps type opportunities to build up your resume.
I disagree that forestry would be a "good degree" if one wants to pursue a career in conservation law enforcement. I think forestry is too speciificlly focused on the science and management of forest vegetation. I've written in other posts a general natural resource management degree or environmental science program with a heavy elective courseload in zoology, mammalogy, wildlife ecology & management and aquatic ecology. Today's college class offerings are much more diverse than in the past. One need not focus so narrowly on a specific traditional degree program, ex, forestry, to gain the breadh of knowledge as it once was. My point is select your electives carefully and wisely to tailor them to your future career goals. Don't waste them on "goof-off" classes!

I've worked alongside Conservation Officers/Game Wardens in California, Oregon and Ohio. Those professionals from OH and CA had wildlife management degrees from state universities. The folks from Oregon came over directly from Oregon State Police and did not have college degrees in wildlife or any resource management degree.

I know there are several good non-4 year schools with programs in wildlife conservation law enforcement in the northeast. Paul Smith's College comes to mind. You might consider one of those rather than a 4-year program in natural resources.

Good luck! Your choices are far wider then when I went to forestry school for my BSc.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:28 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,392,252 times
I e been thinking unity college for conservation law bachelors, if i get enough aid/acceptance after going to a 2 year college for it, but as ive pointed out it doesnt offer much options if i get denied, or while im waiting (a 10/300 chance is very low), and well i wouldnt like to go out of the new england mid atlantic area, i wouldnt care much about going to a few colleges elsewere.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 PM

Would you guys even suggest going after this job seeing im a type one diabetic with 20/70ish eyesight (sometimes i see 20/60, othertimes 20/70, depends on sugar levels). Becuase of that, it cuts most states were i have any chance out of the equation, leaving one state i found, maine. I would say pa, but i need 20/60, nh is 20/40, most states are 20/30-20/40, so i got a double wammy here.

Also, what would be good careers to go into besides police work to increase chances, and their recommended degrees?

Old 01-09-2015, 11:08 PM

534 posts, read 1,172,278 times
Quote:
I've worked alongside Conservation Officers/Game Wardens in California, Oregon and Ohio. Those professionals from OH and CA had wildlife management degrees from state universities. The folks from Oregon came over directly from Oregon State Police and did not have college degrees in wildlife or any resource management degree.
That may be because traditionally, Oregon hires troopers and "makes them into" game wardens, being that fish & wildlife is a division of OSP and not a separate agency like it is everywhere else (with the exception of Alaska).

Old 01-11-2015, 08:18 AM

Im starting to think wildlife management might be the way to go in regards of more options.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:43 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,763,018 times
Aren't you also a werewolf? Or am I mixing you up with another poster? In any case, that could work against you, even in a government job.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:06 PM

160 posts, read 288,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
Im starting to think wildlife management might be the way to go in regards of more options.
That's what I would suggest... keep flexible but maintain a focus on the natural resource field.

Some CD posters in this and related posts suggest "you should know what you want to do (within the natural resource field) in the future" before you've even picked your major.

HA! At 24 years old I didn't even know what types of career paths and specializations there were in forestry! After I graduated from a prestigious university forestry program I still didn't know! My forestry career had so many zigs and zags with areas of disciplines I couldn't have forseen the paths at 18 let alone 24 years of age. So many paths opened up along the way that I took "a bite out of each one of them" until I finally decided which specialty I'd stick in till retirement.

So there! My advice FWIW is stay open to whatever paths open up along the way and to "sample" whatever job disciplines that may be handed to you! Good luck!

BTW - I did manage a wildlife management program for about 5 years (big game herd and upland bird habitat management, T&E plants and birds, some fisheries)

Old 01-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Thats a very descriptive post, now what other jobs could i get with natural resource management and wildlife management?

Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 PM

336 posts, read 378,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
Thats a very descriptive post, now what other jobs could i get with natural resource management and wildlife management?
All sorts. Search USAJobs for open positions from the Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, and National Park Service. Also look at state fish and wildlife agencies and conservation organizations such as The Nature Conservancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment