Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:39 PM

17,463 posts, read 15,592,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
The universities need to limit the number of applicants in these useless fields based on jobs available in the market. Its about demand & supply. Before wasting your money on these degrees you need to spend some time online to search for job market in your chosen field. Just look at your parents expenses & see where they spend most of your money every month - rent/mortgage, electricity, water, food, cell phone, medicine, internet. Jobs are plenty in the industries that make products & services that are essential in life, as opposed to music, sports, arts, fashion, entertainment which are considered luxuries & not at all important for survival. Its common sense on what should be your obvious choice. Job is to support you financially & doesn't have to be interesting. You can have a weekend art hobby in something you really but doesn't pay much like ex: photography, painting, singing, etc. Sure there are some people successful in arts but there are plenty of failures too. If you were a pharmacist or an engineer, you are most likely to succeed & live a comfortable life. Aptitude or not, if you want to survive then learn a skill that has value in the real world. Its a jungle out there & whether you like it or not you have to learn the skill to fight.
YES!!!!
Just like they do in other fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 12:42 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,621,624 times
Quote:
Just look at your parents expenses & see where they spend most of your money every month - rent/mortgage, electricity, water, food, cell phone, medicine, internet. Jobs are plenty in the industries that make products & services that are essential in life....
We're not even a half dozen years away from a housing crash that saw construction, real estate, and mortgage people laid off by the millions. Farmers went broke in similar numbers when I was a kid and there's every reason to expect the pattern will repeat itself. The internet has boomed and crashed before. Plenty of people who thought they were going to get rich went broke just ten years ago.

Anybody who says there is a secure path is selling sunshine.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:49 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,068,774 times
Quote:
The universities need to limit the number of applicants in these useless fields based on jobs available in the market. Its about demand & supply. Before wasting your money on these degrees you need to spend some time online to search for job market in your chosen field. Just look at your parents expenses & see where they spend most of your money every month - rent/mortgage, electricity, water, food, cell phone, medicine, internet. Jobs are plenty in the industries that make products & services that are essential in life, as opposed to music, sports, arts, fashion, entertainment which are considered luxuries & not at all important for survival. Its common sense on what should be your obvious choice. Job is to support you financially & doesn't have to be interesting. You can have a weekend art hobby in something you really but doesn't pay much like ex: photography, painting, singing, etc. Sure there are some people successful in arts but there are plenty of failures too. If you were a pharmacist or an engineer, you are most likely to succeed & live a comfortable life. Aptitude or not, if you want to survive then learn a skill that has value in the real world. Its a jungle out there & whether you like it or not you have to learn the skill to fight.
Thats not going to happen. No incentive for the universities to do so.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:51 PM

17,463 posts, read 15,592,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Thats not going to happen. No incentive for the universities to do so.
They do it in other fields: engineering being one.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:09 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,391,294 times
Default Isn't it obvious after 80 years? Your degree.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I think the best bet for people with a BA in liberal arts now is to look for non-degree specific jobs like human resources, sales, marketing, and recruiting positions.

I think there are even few master degree jobs in the liberal arts that can get you a job. I mean, even teaching jobs like at a junior college and in schools are becoming harder and harder to find.
created a job for your professors. That's why they want to graduate 1,000 people with Anthropology degrees; it justifies THEIR job they already have.

The only "guarantee" such a degree would have is if you join the faculty i.e. less than .1 of 1% of those with the same degrees, and continue to justify their job as an intern/M.A./Ph.D. candidate, OR are returning to a "vehicle" where your job will be justified and you'll be kept on staff, like a First Nations first nation.

Everyone else upon graduation is on their own.
Hey, look at all the wannabee "journalists".
Look at half the lawyers in California that stay in the Bay area and never practice law.
But not a few of them had their law firm position job WAITING FOR THEM. gEE. THANKS, grandpa.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,674,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Good advice but the problem I usually find is not "I can't find the HR jobs, the recruiting jobs, the sales jobs etc..." it is rather " Yea I found the HR, the recruiting, the sales jobs and I applied to them, the problem is no one is calling me back".

HR jobs, I honestly do wonder how one acquires a job in HR? Yes I often see job openings in recruiting (often as recruiters for various employment agencies and sales (often commission only) that really don't care about the candidate having a specific degree and or years of experience. Yet I have never seen a HR job opening that did not require X years of experience and or a degree in X.
I've worked in HR for a few companies. They all required business degrees. No one with a LA degree would have been hired because they don't know anything about HR or business. I took HR courses, numerous business courses, and numerous accounting courses. Unless you minor in business, you won't have those classes. Even with a minor, you won't have all of them.

What are kids thinking with getting a degree in philosophy? Seriously. What was their plan? Unless they plan on getting a master's and a doctorate and become a professor, they're out of luck. Even with that path plan, it's not guaranteed.

There's an over priced LA school in my town....tuition is about $60k a year! It's really ONLY LA. No business. No computers. Only degrees that get you nowhere in life unless you have wealthy parents. The kids have to get master's degrees or work for their parents which many of them do. Some famous people have attended (before they were famous.....back when they were young and dumb) so people think oh well so and so the actor/musician/artist attended so everyone lands a job and is famous.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:10 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,215,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
For such a creative generation you'd think they would do something more than just "wait for something promising to come along" but that's exactly what I've seen many of them do, too.
My friend with an English Lit degree from Michigan is closing in on $100k. She's only 30. I have a social science degree (also from Michigan) and I'm closing in on $70k base salary (I actually made more than that this year with bonuses). I'm 29. Not necessarily an exceptional salary, but I make more than my parents do and I still have plenty of years ahead of me, too. I know several more in this boat as well. We probably won't see many stories like this on here though. Successful people tend not to post their stories on Internet forums.

One thing I've learned awhile ago is that it's seldom that reality reflects the negativity and hubris that is spewed on Internet forums.

Last edited by Lafleur; 12-18-2014 at 04:25 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 04:33 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,215,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've worked in HR for a few companies. They all required business degrees. No one with a LA degree would have been hired because they don't know anything about HR or business. I took HR courses, numerous business courses, and numerous accounting courses. Unless you minor in business, you won't have those classes. Even with a minor, you won't have all of them.

What are kids thinking with getting a degree in philosophy? Seriously. What was their plan? Unless they plan on getting a master's and a doctorate and become a professor, they're out of luck. Even with that path plan, it's not guaranteed.

There's an over priced LA school in my town....tuition is about $60k a year! It's really ONLY LA. No business. No computers. Only degrees that get you nowhere in life unless you have wealthy parents. The kids have to get master's degrees or work for their parents which many of them do. Some famous people have attended (before they were famous.....back when they were young and dumb) so people think oh well so and so the actor/musician/artist attended so everyone lands a job and is famous.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but business degrees are a dime a dozen. Any dolt can get one. I'll take a LA grad from a good program over a BBA from Average State University any day.

HR is also by far one of the most at-risk career fields one can go into as well. Always first to get cut, and they always seem to hire the ditsy sorority girls who know jack squat about the field they recruit in.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,674,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but business degrees are a dime a dozen. Any dolt can get one. I'll take a LA grad from a good program over a BBA from Average State University any day.

HR is also by far one of the most at-risk career fields one can go into as well. Always first to get cut, and they always seem to hire the ditsy sorority girls who know jack squat about the field they recruit in.
Depends where you are that business degrees are a dime a dozen. Where I live they are not. The college here is strictly LA. No business program whatsoever in the school and people aren't flocking to my neck of the woods. And no one I know who has a degree in business has a BBA. Everyone I know has a BS. The vast majority of them didn't attend state schools either and in my state, our schools are pretty good. Our state school system is massive. Getting a degree from one of them is not frowned up here at all. Everyone knows at least 10 people who attended and graduated from one. Probably more than 10.

I have a business degree with an accounting concentration. I've done fine in my life. Never had problems finding a job either.

Your experience with HR is the complete opposite of mine. I'm not a ditz nor was I a sorority girl. I know many women who have been in sororities and you'd never know it speaking or looking at them. I graduated with honors and knew plenty about HR and accounting. I've worked in both and now own my own business.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:06 PM

687 posts, read 618,522 times
Quote:
The universities need to limit the number of applicants in these useless fields based on jobs available in the market. Its about demand & supply. Before wasting your money on these degrees you need to spend some time online to search for job market in your chosen field. Just look at your parents expenses & see where they spend most of your money every month - rent/mortgage, electricity, water, food, cell phone, medicine, internet. Jobs are plenty in the industries that make products & services that are essential in life, as opposed to music, sports, arts, fashion, entertainment which are considered luxuries & not at all important for survival. Its common sense on what should be your obvious choice.
I wish universities would do this more. Then I wouldn't have graduated in a field I thought was in demand but was actually in over-supply because everyone was telling college students it was in demand. Now the average salary for someone with my degree is 30k despite the huge amount of schooling and technical knowledge we acquired (p.s. the job market can change in the 4 years it takes to complete a degree).

Jobs being plenty doesn't mean they are well-paid or you can make a good living off them. Usually when you get high enough demand for certain goods/services, those goods/services end up heavily regulated, and then suppliers tend to look for cheaper and cheaper labor to offset their overhead costs, and/or when demand is so high that many employees are needed, those "plenty jobs" wages tend to get smaller while the fewer and higher level positions are paid much more. So you can look for a "rare" position making lots of money for goods/services that are in high demand as basic necessities, or a "rare" position for goods/services that are in high demand but aren't necessities (because, you know, video games aren't a very moneyed industry at all). Doesn't really matter that way if the goal is to making a real living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment