Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:53 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicLove View Post
Look into a degree program in "online" journalism. This way you can segue way into more of a marketing position. Have you thought about copywriting? Or a degree in MLIS, but if you go this route try to pick up basic scripting languages like HTML, Javascript, etc.

How much do you know about social media??? If you already have these skills list them, or volunteer somewhere locally utilizing your online skills.

Some of these courses can be taken at your local community college. Good luck
Not allowed to volunteer (how dare I take unpaid work when I should be looking for a 2nd job just to fill the time until I can move, says my parents) and I am forbidden to go to graduate school or community college. I still live with my parents and I currently work at a library part time. Been there for 8.5 years. I'm not happy where I currently live and looking at retail as a second job filler to pass the time until I hear from an employer to where I move to. I would love to get my MLIS because I do love working in a library and would love to continue on with a library when I move. I also know Arabic and German; I'd love to study more of Arabic when I move too. I know a bit of HTML, but I'm not too familiar with Javascript.

I deleted my Facebook, but I am on Twitter and Instagram. I know them well, but I'm an expert with Instagram. Also, I am very good with Pinterest. I also blog (my blog is listed on my profile here) and do get paid a bit for my blog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:47 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
i had a college internship in HR. Got me interviews for adminstrative assistants position. I wish I didn't waste my time at my second internship with the county gov and a non profit.

But degrees like art are a recipe for disaster.

I think sociology, psychology, sociology, social sciences, english, history, and communications are best to get a job in sales, marketing, HR, or recruting.

Colleges offerings MAs in anthropology, history, sociology, and the such bother me. I know those ppl can't find a job with that degree or will have a hard time getting one.

I don't know why, but my college made me take stats and mathematical ideas for a liberal arts major. But at least I have a good reputation attached to the uni i went to and IT DID help me getting interviews within my state.
I really don't want to out and out say disaster but rather, the LA grad will probably have to work harder post grad to acquire a job than someone who majored in something more practical. Now I am not discounting the effort that the STEM or the more practical degree students put in ( I am not saying "STEM=AUTOMATIC JOB"), yes the Nursing grad will have to put in effort to find work just as the English grad. It is just the English grad must be aware that his journey to gainful employment may be more difficult, more aggravating, take longer than the Nursing grads journey .

In any case, as some have stated earlier I think the more pressing issue is there are not simply enough jobs to satisfy the job seekers. So lets say you found a company that has a position that does not require a specific degree and is willing to train from the ground (which is rarity in the first place), lets say they have 2 openings and you have 90 LA grads applying for those 2 openings. What do the other 88 applicants do? Most likely the 2 who got the job will say nothing bad about graduating with a LA degree but I bet that the other 88 applicants are pretty salty about their LA degree.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:31 AM

687 posts, read 616,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
i had a college internship in HR. Got me interviews for adminstrative assistants position. I wish I didn't waste my time at my second internship with the county gov and a non profit.

But degrees like art are a recipe for disaster.

I think sociology, psychology, sociology, social sciences, english, history, and communications are best to get a job in sales, marketing, HR, or recruting.

Colleges offerings MAs in anthropology, history, sociology, and the such bother me. I know those ppl can't find a job with that degree or will have a hard time getting one.

I don't know why, but my college made me take stats and mathematical ideas for a liberal arts major. But at least I have a good reputation attached to the uni i went to and IT DID help me getting interviews within my state.
I know someone who was in HR with a general AA degree. She went back to school to hopefully get a better position with a bachelor's. She majored in psychology with emphasis on business psychology. Worked pretty well for her when she graduated. She's working for a private HR firm that she enjoys very much, now.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:46 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've worked in HR for a few companies. They all required business degrees. No one with a LA degree would have been hired because they don't know anything about HR or business. I took HR courses, numerous business courses, and numerous accounting courses. Unless you minor in business, you won't have those classes. Even with a minor, you won't have all of them.

What are kids thinking with getting a degree in philosophy? Seriously. What was their plan? Unless they plan on getting a master's and a doctorate and become a professor, they're out of luck. Even with that path plan, it's not guaranteed.

There's an over priced LA school in my town....tuition is about $60k a year! It's really ONLY LA. No business. No computers. Only degrees that get you nowhere in life unless you have wealthy parents. The kids have to get master's degrees or work for their parents which many of them do. Some famous people have attended (before they were famous.....back when they were young and dumb) so people think oh well so and so the actor/musician/artist attended so everyone lands a job and is famous.

Philosphy teaches one how to interprete difficult material, critical thinking, and how to see both sides of an arguement. In short, it teaches you to think. The fact that you never took a class is obvious in more ways than one.

Really. My philosphy research paper was one of the most difficult assignments of my entire college cirriculum.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 AM

194 posts, read 148,713 times
College is a scam.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:13 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Good advice but the problem I usually find is not "I can't find the HR jobs, the recruiting jobs, the sales jobs etc..." it is rather " Yea I found the HR, the recruiting, the sales jobs and I applied to them, the problem is no one is calling me back".

HR jobs, I honestly do wonder how one acquires a job in HR? Yes I often see job openings in recruiting (often as recruiters for various employment agencies and sales (often commission only) that really don't care about the candidate having a specific degree and or years of experience. Yet I have never seen a HR job opening that did not require X years of experience and or a degree in X.

In any case, I believe you are on point. Probably the best bet for the LA grad is to apply for the non-specific degree jobs. The question being then, are there enough non-specific degree jobs to satisfy all the LA grads?
In my last corporate job and this one our management only hires people who have gotten their Masters in Human Resources degree for HR positions. And yes they pay a ton. Ironically Forbes says this is one of the worst masters degrees to get*, however I know for a fact that 2 of our local HR reps who were younger than me made twice what I made.

*No. 10 Worst Master's Degree For Jobs: Human Resources Management - In Photos: The Best And Worst Master's Degrees For Jobs - Forbes

Old 12-19-2014, 01:14 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
College is a scam.
#Youdiditwrong

Old 12-19-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
#Youdiditwrong
No, check the numbers. I'm the one who really gets it.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
No, check the numbers. I'm the one who really gets it.
But the numbers across the board indicate that people with a college degree earn more than those who don't have one over the course of their lives. Which numbers are you referring to?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
But the numbers across the board indicate that people with a college degree earn more than those who don't have one over the course of their lives. Which numbers are you referring to?
I have no desire to work for someone else for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment