Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:57 PM

91 posts, read 196,817 times

Advertisements

Today I had a powerful allergy attack at work: sneezing, watery eyes, shortness of breath, headache. It began in the late morning and got worse throughout the day. I did not feel better until I got home tonight. I think that my colleague's pungent perfume caused the attack. If it does not recur tomorrow, then I will just forget about it. But if this becomes an ongoing thing, then I don't know what to do. I guess I should go to a doctor but I don't want to have to rely on medication to do my job. I have been working in this space since the spring and have never had this reaction before. I don't want to cause any tension with my colleague and, anyhow, I could never prove that her perfume causes this reaction. I guess if it becomes an ongoing thing I will have to go to a doctor and then HR. Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,454,543 times
Ask her to wear that perfume on a certain day so you can see?
Might mention that you liked it.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 PM

531 posts, read 1,178,986 times
If your allergy attack continue, you can talk to your manager first. Your manager can either talk to your colleague or re-arrange your seat. It doesn't make sense to go straight to HR without working out a solution with your manager first.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ask her to wear that perfume on a certain day so you can see?
Might mention that you liked it.
She wears the perfume every day. I am not even certain that it is a perfume. It has a strong talc smell -- almost like a deodorant spray. So I don't need to ask her to wear it. I can smell her from halfway down the hall.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:05 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,298,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_hill89 View Post
Today I had a powerful allergy attack at work: sneezing, watery eyes, shortness of breath, headache. It began in the late morning and got worse throughout the day. I did not feel better until I got home tonight. I think that my colleague's pungent perfume caused the attack. If it does not recur tomorrow, then I will just forget about it. But if this becomes an ongoing thing, then I don't know what to do. I guess I should go to a doctor but I don't want to have to rely on medication to do my job. I have been working in this space since the spring and have never had this reaction before. I don't want to cause any tension with my colleague and, anyhow, I could never prove that her perfume causes this reaction. I guess if it becomes an ongoing thing I will have to go to a doctor and then HR. Any insight would be appreciated.
Go see an allergist and get tests for exactly what you are allergic to. This way you will know for sure, and a letter from your doctor will be taken seriously.

More offices have moved to become a fragrance-free work environment, so your request isn't unusual.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,817,462 times
Quote:

I have been working in this space since the spring and have never had this reaction before.
Quote:
She wears the perfume every day.
So where is the correlation between the perfume and the sudden first-time onset of this discomfort?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So where is the correlation between the perfume and the sudden first-time onset of this discomfort?
I don't know that there is a correlation. I am sitting at my desk right now and feel fine. She usually does not arrive for another 2 hours or so. If the symptoms resume at that time, then I have a pretty good idea that her perfume is triggering my allergies and asthma. If not, it may have been some kind of flukey thing that I just attributed to her perfume because it has a strong smell that I do not like. We'll see . . .

Old 12-17-2014, 06:54 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,189,397 times
Quote:
I am also sensitive to scents and perfumes.

Over the years I had found that telling someone directly that they are wearing too much perfume is almost like saying "you stink." There are few that will take real offense, but those who do can then be a big PITA.

When someone was near me and swimming in it, I would suffer for a day to see if it is just a fluke, and if not, I would then go to my manager and explain that I need to move my location so I don't have to suffer the headaches and such.

Usually, the problem got fixed.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 AM

183 posts, read 353,735 times
I'm allergic to specific perfumes. And I'm not good at telling the difference between different ones.

Maybe if you get triggered today, you can ask her if she's switched perfume or deodorant or whatever it is she uses? Maybe she has and it's the new one that's bothering you? I'd just tell her that I'm having attacks at the office lately and am trying to pinpoint my trigger. She shouldn't get defensive with you I think?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:50 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,824,879 times
So you’ve been there since the Spring and she’s been wearing the perfume (or whatever) the whole time, every day? You have a reaction to something one day and you blame it on the perfume?

Seems like a large (and wrong) leap to me. Do you think you developed an allergy to it overnight? I’m confused.

Regardless of the sketchy details, if this were a normal scenario where the person begins to wear a specific perfume and I had a reaction, my inclination would be to just tell my coworker about it. Doesn’t have to be a big deal. Most people are not motivated to bother others so I would expect my coworker to be a human and not wear it anymore. I mean if something you wear wearing gave that reaction to a coworker, wouldn’t you stop? I don’t see a need to talk to a manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment