Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM

732 posts, read 4,160,601 times

Advertisements

If I had to pay $3,000 on medical per month I'd kill myself and let my family have the money instead of wasting it on my short life span
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
If I had to pay $3,000 on medical per month I'd kill myself and let my family have the money instead of wasting it on my short life span
Assistive living care can be pricey. However, many of the facilities are wonderful and provide tremendous care for the individual -

Well worth the cost

Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 AM

652 posts, read 2,665,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
that is one of the reasons to get the insurance. She doesnt have to rely on us for anything and can still do almost whatever she wants. At this point she can live a relatively normal life without any wories. There are so many people (including myself) that donet think of the "what ifs" when planning for retirement. There are so many tricky things. I am only 32 now and dont plan on any "serious" retirement planning yet but I have a feeling I will be checking out lots of books from the library in another 5-10 years. I love watching and listening to money talk shows so I know I wont have to much catch up if any when the time comes.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 AM

652 posts, read 2,665,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Assistive living care can be pricey. However, many of the facilities are wonderful and provide tremendous care for the individual -

Well worth the cost
Since I started researching and visiting many of them I have decided if I can, that is where I want to live once I cant do everything for myself. Maybe before A lot of those places provide a better quality of life than you would get living with your children. Maybe even better than I have now! LOL

Old 01-09-2008, 02:53 PM

857 posts, read 4,882,346 times
Look at the retirement calculator on Financial Calculators from Dinkytown.net and just put your numbers in and it will tell you what you will need. It varies, depending on where you live and what you do. My house in White Plains had $7,000/yr taxes when I sold it 15 years ago! My house in GA has $2700 taxes , so it makes a difference.
You have to figure conservatively, so assume that a 5% return on a safe investment (CD) is reasonable. For every $1,000,000 you save you will get $50,000/yr without touching the principle. Add your pension (if any) and Soc. Sec together and figure how much that is, and subtract it from how much you think you need per month, or better yet, just go to the website and it will figure it out for you.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:58 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,990,071 times
[QUOTE=questioner2;2426015]If your house is paid for you could survive on no savings but live on social security like 40% of retired Americans.[/quote]

I doubt that because it depends on how much your SS is. You have house maintenance repairs,homeowners insurance among other things and taxes. To pay these you need to continue to save so that you can actually live on your SS.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,877,866 times
I don't think a set amount of $$ would do it. You don't know how to exactly spend it. Spend too much and you go without later on. Spend too little and you end up dieing with lots of cash. What I would do is base it off income streams. So I would probably invest in dividend stocks, rentals, maybe some sort of other passive income stream, social security and so on. I am thinking 10k per month after taxes would be optimal. Enough to be constantly on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment