Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 12:03 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,111,774 times

Advertisements

I am still trying to figure this one out for myself in my jobs. Ready for a work environment where positivity abounds. I will say this about workplace environment, management sets the tone from the top down of the workplace. Unfortunately, I don't know if any workplace is truly perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 12:55 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,875,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I am still trying to figure this one out for myself in my jobs. Ready for a work environment where positivity abounds.
Yeah, I have yet to work at a job where even a few people seem to like being there. Sure, there are some who throw out a hollow "I love my job" when management is around, but they sure don't act that way otherwise. Hearing the lottery talk gets old after a while.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:57 PM

272 posts, read 383,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Military. Nonstop hazing and unjust punishments, until I lost all of my rank and was kicked out. What's even better is nobody believes my story but me. Even better than that, something similar happened to my mom in the military a generation ago, and nobody took her side either.

I think the lesson is, if I have kids, to keep them away from the military.
I agree, the military is toxic environment to work in. I am a veteran myself.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:52 PM

926 posts, read 1,263,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Military. Nonstop hazing and unjust punishments, until I lost all of my rank and was kicked out. What's even better is nobody believes my story but me. Even better than that, something similar happened to my mom in the military a generation ago, and nobody took her side either.

I think the lesson is, if I have kids, to keep them away from the military.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:44 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,519,587 times
My first long term Job in a printing facility.

The job was great for 4 years and then went to hell after the owners death when his son took over the business.
No consideration was given to the employees anymore and just REALLY bad business choices
where being made all around.

The new owner regularly harassed the collage girls who came in for temp work
He would crash over the weekend in the building lunch room too drunk to drive himself anywhere
He would name call and demean employees in front of others for little to no reaosn other than he was in a bad mood that day
Checks started to become late ona regular basis
New help was never checked for qualification and it was left to the employees to give hands on training...something with neither had time or the right to be doing

So many issues, I could go on for paragraphs...

Think frat house mentally and you have the gist of what a once professional working environment was turned in to.

The long standing (20 year+) employees slowly began to hate thier job and the whole place was turned in to a giant ball of tension and desention.

I broke after the 6 year mark after being over worked, underpaid and under appreciated. I woke up and decided i couldn't do it anymore and stopped showing up for work.

I was the first of many, the company officially closed doors 2 year after I had had enough. Nobody wanted to work for or with them.

It was the only time in my life I can ever think of being so burnt out by something that I lost all motivation or care about anything to do with it.

Last edited by rego00123; 12-14-2014 at 12:54 AM..

Old 12-14-2014, 12:57 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,713,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I will say this about workplace environment, management sets the tone from the top down of the workplace.
I agree, and if those people have flawed characters, it's all over. After reading through all the posts, it sounds like it is very commonplace for these problems to exist. I found that mostly, it was supervisors or those running their own small businesses, that could be problematic. I always made friends with coworkers if I was there a while, only experiencing one, horrible coworker in my entire life. Then there are those who can sneekily end up stirring up trouble where there was none. People can be so flawed and we have no control over what they may do, especially if in positions of power.

I think the only ones who don't know of this are those who, for whatever reason, were able to stay in a place forever, whether they had preferrential treatment or were protected in some way, which has fed their ego, developing a negative impression of those who couldn't help but change jobs.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:13 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,713,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
It was the only time in my life I can ever think of being so burnt out by something that I lost all motivation or care about anything to do with it.

It can really take its toll on a person. No wonder so many end up needing anti-depressants, etc., and counseling. If things were not so messed up by some in the workplace, there would likely have not been as many requiring unemployment benefits, either.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:59 AM

23,926 posts, read 24,505,972 times
Another point: management at these workplaces are almost always in denial if you call out their workplaces as "toxic".
Either they know what is going on and don't care, or don't understand the meaning of "toxic workplace". Both situations are bad. The best way, is to get out.

In my previous post, another situation I faced at this toxic workplace, was "bait and switch". I was promised certain things when I signed on at this company, but when I joined, things changed. The first time it occurred, I dismissed it. The second time, I knew I made a big mistake by joining this company. And, I knew it within the first week of joining! I was tempted to leave and call my old boss back (I left on good terms) and rejoin my old company. But, I did not and decided to "stick it out" with this toxic company. My biggest career mistake of my life. You live and you learn.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:19 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 368,809 times
Temp job in in one department at a large corporation. I was about 21 or 22, late 1980s. The permanent employees were terrible. I had one permanent employee trying to set me up to make me look bad (telling me to do some type of process and intentionally leaving out a step so I'd do it wrong, then loudly announcing in a crowded room that I'd done it wrong so I'd look stupid). There was a small clique of people who seemed to dislike me for some unknown reason from day one. And the only person who was actually friendly, a guy about twice my age, started hitting on me after a few days (he even told me his wife was very understanding when I said that his wife and my boyfriend were likely to object in an effort to get him to stop). When I finally, in desperation (after about a month of this), called the agency that placed me and told them what was going on, I was pulled off the job that day...and I never got another assignment from them. It was as if they blamed me for the whole thing.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,668,502 times
Semi military organization. A lot of young and really brilliant people, but with huge egos, immaturity, and the inability to separate sex life from work. Young ladies went from one guy to another, bitter broke ups etc. That led to a war between clans and groups. I did not like it, and moved to another branch of this organization, and it was much much better, because of the strong manager who kept strict discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment