Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You never answered my question about what you were convicted of so, to make it easier, if you were convicted of a felony you are prohibited by law from becoming a police officer in California.
I assume the OP?

He mentions it in his very first sentence, he was trying to pass a fake 100 dollar bill at a store, was caught and had 3 years informal probation and paid a fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:30 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I assume the OP?

He mentions it in his very first sentence, he was trying to pass a fake 100 dollar bill at a store, was caught and had 3 years informal probation and paid a fine.

That does not tell us what actual crime (as in title and/or code) he was convicted of or whether it was a felony or misdemeanor. Between making deals and waiving penalties, there is no telling what he was actually convicted of and what the classification is unless he tells us.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:43 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Deceased Officer Pesina was hired by the Balcones Heights Police Department even though he had a juvenile criminal record and a family member who was a gang member. He even admitted to committing crimes in adulthood for which he was never arrested. Later, an officer reported to the chief of police that Pesina had gang-related tattoos, but the chief did nothing. Pesina was killed earlier this year gangland style by people with a possible connection to the Mexican Mafia. There is hope for you. Small police departments tend to have lower standards.

Private corrections companies like Geo Group and Corrections Corporation of America will hire almost anyone. Security companies will also hire almost anyone who doesn't have a felony or recent Class A or B misdemeanor on record, but the pay is low. They usually don't do thorough background investigations. They just do a quick check to see if anything is on your record.
I'm always perplexed by people who bring up remote exceptions to give false hope to the desperate.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:03 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I'm always perplexed by people who bring up remote exceptions to give false hope to the desperate.
I'm always perplexed by people who think that their localities operate in the same way as everyone else's. This happens all the time at small police departments...at least where I live. When people with questionable backgrounds are rejected by the Bexar County Sheriff's Office and San Antonio Police Department, they usually go to the small police departments.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:34 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
As long as you're confident about passing the psych portions of the employment process with any department, I say keep on plugging applications into and all departments any where.
I once tried to get on with California Department of Corrections and that portion was the straw that broke the camels back.

Figured every other department was going to have a phase like this and pretty much gave up on it and staying in shape for that reason alone.
Not trying to sound like a Debbie Downer, or a Diaper Damian, but even with all the craziness that goes on with most departments, I feel the psychiatric portions are pretty much the decider in any law-enforcement hiring process.

With the record you have and all the other efforts you put in, you've still got a chance though in my book.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm always perplexed by people who think that their localities operate in the same way as everyone else's. This happens all the time at small police departments...at least where I live. When people with questionable backgrounds are rejected by the Bexar County Sheriff's Office and San Antonio Police Department, they usually go to the small police departments.
Fine, if you think this relatively young man has a chance, then kudos for him.

I'm not the only one that's been a cop to tell him to move on with his life from here. Again, for every position that's open, there are 1k+ qualified candidates standing in line. This holds true for every police department out there. Sure, every once in a while someone with a questionable background makes it through, just like every once in a while a business startup turns into a billion dollar industry or a college football players joins the NFL. But these are nothing more than exceptions. Unless the OP has some real skills that not many others have, he shouldn't bet his future on being another exception.

I was working as a computer programmer right up to when I joined the academy to become a state trooper. And when I quit a few years later, I had everything planned out and joined an engineering firm. I'm never going to be an exception. I realize that. It's time most people in the world realize that as well. Always have a backup plan. And have backup plans for the backup plan.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Fine, if you think this relatively young man has a chance, then kudos for him.

I'm not the only one that's been a cop to tell him to move on with his life from here. Again, for every position that's open, there are 1k+ qualified candidates standing in line. This holds true for every police department out there. Sure, every once in a while someone with a questionable background makes it through, just like every once in a while a business startup turns into a billion dollar industry or a college football players joins the NFL. But these are nothing more than exceptions. Unless the OP has some real skills that not many others have, he shouldn't bet his future on being another exception.

I was working as a computer programmer right up to when I joined the academy to become a state trooper. And when I quit a few years later, I had everything planned out and joined an engineering firm. I'm never going to be an exception. I realize that. It's time most people in the world realize that as well. Always have a backup plan. And have backup plans for the backup plan.
But, the OP's first choice is being a correctional officer. Correctional departments are much less competitive because they tend to have high turnover rates. By the way, it is not true that there are 1k+ qualified people applying for every police officer job opening. Small agencies usually don't see nearly that many qualified applicants. The competition is still stiff, but not that stiff. The small departments I've taken the civil service test for invited every qualified applicant to take the test. I have never seen anywhere near 1k people taking a civil service test at a small police department. I didn't even see 100 people testing. I'm sure it happens somewhere, but it definitely doesn't happen everywhere.

Yes, I have been through the hiring process at police departments several times and at one correctional department. I was offered a position earlier this year as a police cadet, but turned it down because the academy ran later than advertised and would interfere with my PhD courses. Currently, I'm researching personnel selection in Texas criminal justice agencies.

If anyone doesn't believe me, West Texas police departments are having a very difficult time with recruiting. One department received ZERO applicants. ZERO!
http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news...ice-candidates

Quote:
Right now, smaller cities and towns in West Texas are struggling with the reality that few people want to be a police officer in a small town. Wolfforth is one of many municipalities that can’t find applicants to fill their public safety positions.
Of course, you can't become a peace officer in Texas if you have ever had a felony, even if it was expunged.

Last edited by L210; 10-19-2014 at 11:06 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 11:26 PM

Just in case in anyone is interested, here is more info on how many people are applying for each police officer opening. Even a city as large as Seattle only received 14 applicants per opening.

This article is from this year.
Quote:
With the number of applicants down more than 90 percent in some cities, police departments may soon be posting more signs that say “Help Wanted” instead of “Most Wanted.”...A decade ago, there were 3,000 applicants for 10 openings with the Seattle police, the department says. Now there are 1,000 applicants for 70 positions — a drop of more than 90 percent...In rural towns in the South, the number of people showing up to take the written police exam has often dropped 80 percent, she says. In Fairfax County, Va., an entrance exam advertisement would draw 4,000 people five years ago. Now, it brings in 300.
https://lris.com/2014/07/07/police-f...tage-recruits/

This article is older from 2006.
Quote:
By estimation, more than 80 percent of the nation's 17,000 law enforcement agencies, large and small, have police officer positions that they cannot fill.
Police Chief Magazine - View Article

Old 10-19-2014, 11:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
A problem in your background is a HUGE liability problem for a police department. Not to mention a PR nightmare.

And if a good defense attorney gets wind of it, they will shred your credibility in the court room.

The reality in law enforcement is there are far more qualified applicants, with clean backgrounds, than available positions.
How about private security?? Some of those companies have much lower standards.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I was an officer in Texas long ago. Part of my job was doing back round checks on new hires.

What's the story on the money? I have known people who passed counterfeit money and they were never charged. Were you doing intentionally? You knew the bill was bad?

See a lawyer and see if the record can be sealed, expunged, whatever. It's worth checking out. Base your case on your years of being 'clean'. Find out how much of this you can clean up with a little help. It's worth the effort even if you never become an officer.

You may have to start small. Maybe as a corrections officer or something else besides a metro PD. Look outside the box. Perform well and you could probably get in with a little experience under your belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment