Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,874,825 times

Advertisements

How about those that cannot retire, as their kids simply will not move out of the house, and need supported. It takes money to support your grown kids.

A Rising Share of Young Adults Live in Their Parents

Young People Living At Home With Parents At Higher Rates, Particularly In Southern California, Study Says (PHOTOS)

Another due to the low returns on investment we are seeing today, many people cannot afford to retire. Some on these threads think people are not retiring out of choice, and they need to retire so young people can take their jobs.

The Greatest Retirement Crisis In American History - Forbes

There are many reasons people do not retire. They did not plan on living as long as people do today, and worry if they retire they will run out of money a few years before they die, so they have to work longer to make up for the longer life span they never thought would be happening when they were younger.

6 Reasons Why You Should Never Retire - US News

6 Reasons Why You Should Never Retire - US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:19 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,935,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But I suggest anyone who thinks about leaving to take good hard look at the job and the people and THEMSELVES... because this sounds like plain old bellyaching from people who really don't understand how business or life works. Like the young lady who went to job interviews and on being asked where do you see yourself in two years proudly says "sitting in your chair", not understanding that it took the people doing the interviews 15-20 years to get to that chair.

If you honestly think that some old guy not retiring is holding you back, maybe you aren't management material after all.
The trouble is when workers leave for better jobs, often offering one or even two step promotions. Then those performance reviews stating that they aren't management material get thrown out the window - not to mention the older workers who wrote them up losing credibility. The way business or life works, it's often the good employees who can find better jobs elsewhere when they are stymied. And it hurts companies more when these ex-employees start poaching their former coworkers.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 AM

321 posts, read 619,377 times
Champagne wants, beer budget!

Back in the 80's, could you imagine, $100k a year was a lot of money to earn. You were a member at the Country Club, you golfed 4 times a month, you had a really great family vacay once a year and an awesome vacay every five years.

Role forward to 2014, $100k is necessary to afford a decent home, you are drowning in credit card debt because you have to keep up with this new thing , that new thing. Travel is something you do once a month on "long weekends". It's hard to vacay, because all of your work follows you via email and cell phone.

We are under constant pressure to do something or be somewhere, for the experience.

We are consumers.

That life costs money, younger generations want it all, right now.

Why not live at home, my kid is coming up on 24, she works, but the $150 a month I charge her in rent isn't making me rich but what the hell, she ain't getting anything when I go anyway, I'm spending just to keep new Flat Screens on my wall. ;-)

Get it? All the bitching and moaning doesn't change the fact that we earn to spend nowadays, old farts gotta work to keep up. They made bad choices with their money or they made good choices but sacrificed for their family. No matter the scenario, we gotta work.

If you want great financial advice for young or old, pick up Dave Ramsey. I have been free for 5 years now. I will be 43, I work because I want to.

Money is a resourse, treat it with respect, save it, spend it wisely and get your ass out of debt.

My work is helping my employees achieve financial independence. They make money for me, I pay them well and I try to teach them how to become independent, not a slave to a paycheck.

When was the last time you tried to learn something from someone older or smarter than you?

That doesn't happen anymore, too many people are to concerned about personal survival, "Keeping what's theirs"

The good old days meant we all had a plan and we all knew what each other's struggle was.

These days, the general attitude is, "I don't care about you, I have to look out for me!"

If you are a really cool, you throw in a few "Mutha****ers" after that last quote.

We are consumers now, that is the problem. Good luck..

Old 10-09-2014, 07:42 AM

435 posts, read 638,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
That life costs money, younger generations want it all, right now.
If they were children in the 1980s, it is now wonder they have high expectations. But the 1980s will never come back.

Many employers today complain that young workers don't interview well, possibly because they spend so much time communicating through text rather than on the phone, or in person.

My generation did not text, and most of us are totally comfortable in a face to face interview. When we grew up, we had to actually talk to other people.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,049 posts, read 82,327,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
If they were children in the 1980s, it is now wonder they have high expectations. But the 1980s will never come back.

Many employers today complain that young workers don't interview well, possibly because they spend so much time communicating through text rather than on the phone, or in person.

My generation did not text, and most of us are totally comfortable in a face to face interview. When we grew up, we had to actually talk to other people.
Those that grew up in the 80's are still able to communicate pretty well, and did not grow up with texting nor even cell phones until they were close to college age. I'm more concerned with those kids currently
texting on their I-phones in elementary school. Our local district has had to add an item to their behavioral policy for K-12. "Cell phones should not be used at school. Students must use the office phone while at school."

Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,804,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those that grew up in the 80's are still able to communicate pretty well, and did not grow up with texting nor even cell phones until they were close to college age. I'm more concerned with those kids currently
texting on their I-phones in elementary school. Our local district has had to add an item to their behavioral policy for K-12. "Cell phones should not be used at school. Students must use the office phone while at school."
Your district just not added that behavorial policy?

Most districts had that policy in place for years now.

If anything, many districts are now less strict about cell phone usage in school. They'll allow you to use your cell phone as long as it's not in the classroom, or with your teacher's permission...

Old 10-09-2014, 08:43 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,594,867 times
Jobs are not a zero sum game. Wealth is created with the use of thinking. Along with the creation of wealth, new jobs are created. Zero sum game is a Keynesian fallacy. So ditch the generational bs. I'm 55 and I will work as long as I live. I don't believe in the word "retirement." That means one stops thinking and creating. Rather, I'm going to do a career change and work my own hours. Not use an alarm clock to wake up, go into the office 20 hours a week and the office could be my adjoining den. But I will not stop producing, not stop thinking, not stop creating and not stop getting paid for what I produce.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,557,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
well if youre talking jobs that will give a teen enough money to buy a new ipad in about an hours time (like these teens want) then no theres not.
Tough sh!!t. Then they don't get one.

I'm amazed at the excuses some parents will come up with to avoid making their children become responsible adults.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,557,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
How about those that cannot retire, as their kids simply will not move out of the house, and need supported. It takes money to support your grown kids.
It takes backbone to be a parent in the first place. If those kids had been raised to be productive members of society in the first place, they wouldn't resort to coming home to Mommy & Daddy.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:13 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,106,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Your district just not added that behavorial policy?

Most districts had that policy in place for years now.

If anything, many districts are now less strict about cell phone usage in school. They'll allow you to use your cell phone as long as it's not in the classroom, or with your teacher's permission...
Cell phones were an issue when my brother and I were in high school. My brother was born in 1984 and I was born in 1987. During finals, mid-terms and state tests, you had to declare them before you went in to take the test and collect them afterwards. So it's not a millennial from the 90's issue. If that was the case it wouldn't have existed in 2001/2 when I had my brick phone that maybe just had a flip microphone and snake for a game with the rechargeable minute cards.

I'm thinking it always existed but some people didn't realize it did...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment