Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 PM

483 posts, read 692,851 times

Advertisements

Yeah, don't worry, it's not ideal and they would probably have preferred that the shredded documents still exist, but if the information basically exists elsewhere in another form, it'll be OK. I think it would've been safest for HR to shred themselves to limit the number of eyes on it, but clearly this isn't your company's primary policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:56 PM

532 posts, read 960,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
If I understood correctly, the OP's boss told them the shred the papers for Employee B. However, by mistake, they instead shredded parts of Employee A's files.

So technically, if again I understood correctly, it is the OP's fault for that error.

But to the OP, if your boss and the HR Manager said it was ok, then leave it alone. I think you handled it relatively well. After realizing you were in the wrong, it appears you did take full responsibility for your mistake and felt sincerely bad about your lapse in judgement. In the future, as you stated, always ask your boss if you're unsure about something.

Also, always try to get all instructions and responsibilities they give to you in writing (in the event a similar issue does come up and it is you'r boss or the HR Manager's error).
Yes, you stated it perfectly. I did take full responsibility and sincerely apologized...and learned a very valuable lesson at the same time.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I think it's very bizarre that your manager gave you (access to) the paperwork and information on why Employee A was fired. Doesn't she have a locking cabinet, or doesn't anyone in HR?

It just seems very inappropriate.
The paperwork concerning employee was not confidential, it had to do with her work, but no write-ups, warnings, etc. My boss does lock her door when she isn't there, but does not have a locking cabinet (and believe me, no where to put one). I am HR for my location (with minimum duties) but I do have a locking file cabinet that only my boss and I have the key to.

However, if you think that is inappropriate -- years ago I had just taken a job in accounting, this was my first week and my manager handed me a very recently fired employees personnel file and asked me to make a copy of everything in it. I thought that was a little odd.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am curious why your boss would ask you to shred documents that are supposed to be confidential, she should be shredding those documents herself.
She also needs to get a file cabinet or drawer or something that locks and do her own work and keep all confidential documents put away properly.
Actually she asked me to shred documents that were not confidential, unfortunately they were in the same type of bag as the confidential ones and I grabbed the wrong bag. I have the only shredder in the office and my boss had more important things to do.

It is part of my job to keep all confidential files (under lock). In 4.5 years there has never been an issue...until today

Old 09-29-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I agree. Chain of evidence rules should apply. What if the OP decided to read things rather than shred them? Unless OP's boss is the CEO, it just seems too risky to trust that to anyone else.
They were not confidential, although all personnel files are kept in my office under lock. And no, my boss is not the CEO. They needed to be saved but there is nothing confidential about them.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Actually, I don't think the shredding piece is the problem here. The real lesson here is that it's about time for the boss to get a filing cabinet that locks. If something is that important and needs to be locked away from people, why doesn't the boss have a place to lock it up?

The shredding piece was likely just "semi" sensitive. We need to shred financial statements that are printed in case someone else from the cleaning crew reads them, but most people can run those same reports themselves, so being asked to shred that wouldn't be a big deal. Even in the world of HR, while personal information is sensitive, disciplinary records seem to be even more so, especially since they likely need to be held in case of lawsuits.

Being asked to hold onto sensitive HR related information that needs to be locked up... that should have stayed with the boss. Shredding is usually just designed to keep it from getting outside the company.
True, she should be able to keep certain items safely in her office, unfortunately, it's not possible. It is my job to house them. I shred documents every day with no problem. But, and I hate to look like I am putting the mistake on my boss, if this was something out of the ordinary in terms of storing it, and it was very important that nothing happen to it, then yes, a locked cabinet in my boss's office would have been the way to go.

But, as my HR Manager said, we can't go back and fix things, so the fault does lie with me, and I accept that.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
The whole "I was just following orders" excuse has been tried before and found to be lacking.

@OP
Never shred anything at work that someone else asks you to shred. Not knowing the law doesn't release you from liability when you are violating the law. HR files should be disposed off by HR. Your manager's files should be disposed off by your manager.
These were not HR files, nothing personal in any way (and yes, when I have a question about those, I do ask my HR Manager because she knows the laws, these were documents that have to do with her job, but no personal information.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:06 AM

822 posts, read 1,286,411 times
What you should have done was give her your filing cabinet or swapped the locks with her and let her store it in her office. Why would you accept such documents unless you were the supervisor of said people? This is funny. Maybe not a great analogy but its like you are outside of a bank and some robber says hold this for a second. Inside the bag could be money as the robber panicked and wanted to take off, or a gun or both or drugs. Five seconds later, the cops show up and arrest you. lol The teachable event is don't accept such stuff. If you want to help, then help in a way where you assume no risk.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
I grabbed the wrong bag.
I guess you won't do that anymore.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:19 AM

217 posts, read 314,725 times
Meh, this is a non-issue really..... if anything, your boss would be the one getting in trouble for allowing you access to confidential documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment