Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:04 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,055,794 times

Advertisements

They're trolling you because right now it's so easy to get employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 08:49 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,076,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Well there is no excuse for a company "forgetting" about a worker, and how long they've been there. That reflects poorly on them.

The more I read this forum, the more glad I work in Australia, where workers have actual rights
Actually, I don't know anyone in REAL LIFE who would give up their personal rights so easily as I do when reading the internet.

I mean people are giving up:

- tax returns to "prove" what exactly?

- facebook, twitter, etc., passwords for "what" purpose?

- credit checks for positions that don't deal with money. Why?

I have no doubt that many of these same obedient robots would sign away their first born child or give the employer the deed to their home if it meant getting a job. Absolutely freaking pathetic.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:19 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,053,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Actually, I don't know anyone in REAL LIFE who would give up their personal rights so easily as I do when reading the internet.

I mean people are giving up:

- tax returns to "prove" what exactly?

- facebook, twitter, etc., passwords for "what" purpose?

- credit checks for positions that don't deal with money. Why?

I have no doubt that many of these same obedient robots would sign away their first born child or give the employer the deed to their home if it meant getting a job. Absolutely freaking pathetic.

So true!! As long as there's plenty of "Good Little Soldiers" out there ready to give all to The Corporation, they will be getting away with this nonsense.

I swear if The Corporation told them to keep their jobs they'd have to give an arm and a leg, these folks would not hesitate to reach for the nearest hacksaw

Old 09-27-2014, 12:23 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,447,321 times
You never know what's going on behind the scenes or above you. You have a job. You'd be more secure if it were permanent (I know the feeling, me too). There are funding issues involved. There may be an upcoming retirement that's taking longer than they anticipated. Never hurts to politely ask your immediate supervisor... Hope it happens for you but for now, get all the training you can and do your best!

Old 09-28-2014, 04:45 AM

3,531 posts, read 7,824,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
Thanks for all your input. I do know the boss from my previous company and he was the one who had them bring me on. All permanent employees start out as temp to hire at this place, like a lot of companies have done for a long time. The agency is an in-house agency, they only bring in people through this agency.
I would start to press them to hire you full time, the longer your a temp the less likely they will bring you on as full time. Even if you do get fired / lay-off / quit instead of getting hired full time, at least you gave it your best shot. Talking to the temp agency is a waste of time, they are not interested in you getting a full time job with benefits, they are interested in collecting there contract fee for as long as possible. If you quit, they will just hire someone else to replace you, your expendable to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
By the way, I'm curious, does anybody know how much these temp agencies get paid? I presume that they are working on 5% or 10% of our salary - but I don't know.
A lot. For a Piece of Crap staffing company I worked for, I saw the proposal (but not the signed contract) for work in the client companies internal website. They were getting $50 an hour ($75 overtime rate) for Support Techs and paying them as little as $16 an hour. That's a hell of a markup, especially considering they didn't offer any benefits to there contractors, not even paid sick/vacation/holidays days off. That's a 300% mark up!

I worked for a government contracting firm and a friend who worked in the main office told me the markup was about 30% after the contracting firm paid salary and benefits. The bill rate was around $100 a hour, but I don't know the exact figure.

Last edited by TechGromit; 09-28-2014 at 05:06 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 05:14 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,307,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I was answering her question, not making statistics. Sometimes companies just forget, especially if it is a corporation.

LOL

A company does not "forget". They (should) have someone going over their budget at regular intervals. The fact remains that temp agencies are not the same as they were pre Great Recession. Companies will do anything to get out of paying benefits now.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:58 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,260,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

LOL

A company does not "forget". They (should) have someone going over their budget at regular intervals. The fact remains that temp agencies are not the same as they were pre Great Recession. Companies will do anything to get out of paying benefits now.
But those temp agencies can be a life saver when that UC runs out so I won't say they are a 100% bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment