Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,879,513 times

Advertisements

Generally they call as if they are doing a credit check, verifying employment not looking for a recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:31 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,612,428 times
This was on the application for my current job. It included an option where I could request that they could call only if I was being offered the job. They did contact my employer while I was at work. The expression on my boss's face was pretty funny when he came to tell me he had just had a conversation with the University. It actually worked in my favor since my boss and I had a great working relationship. He gave me a great recommendation and was nothing but pleased for me that I had found such a good opportunity to improve my life. I was offered the job that day.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,771,474 times
They call to make sure you really worked there and in most cases will simply confirm you worked the dates you recorded on your resume / application, your title and your hourly / annual pay. Nearly all companies do this, even if it's not stated on their application, and it's done after you've accepted their offer. Sometimes, they'll ask if the employee is eligible for rehire, or ask, "Would you hire them again?" And there are HR people / managers who will answer that question.

Verifying employment is standard procedure.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 AM

35,356 posts, read 31,806,426 times
I would not jeopardize current employment for potential future employment. If they want to contact my current employer, I'd need to have a firm, written off first. Also, the current employer may something out of spite, no matter how good of an employee you actually are.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,469,077 times
When I applied for my most recent job I simply asked the HR rep WHEN they would be contacting my employer. I emphasized that I was taking a risk here and they know that. He was more than willing to explain the process to me. They contact my "current" employer only AFTER I accept the offer, not before. However if youre applying for a small business their policy may be more lax and they may even ask questions that are illegal.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:09 AM

506 posts, read 328,903 times
You probably misunderstand what it's trying to say. What you claim it's trying to say really doesn't make sense.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:35 PM

595 posts, read 2,712,890 times
I'm not trying to "claim" anything. I am clearer now on what is written on the application, now that people have explained what other organizations have done. Again I have no issues with them calling my current employer AFTER a firm offer is extended and I've accepted.

My concern, or question rather was what if you are leaving a bad situation and they call for a reference and the employer then bad mouths you.

It's a bit of moot point since they've extended me interview. Just thought I would poll the board and see if this was common practice as I, personally, have never seen it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! Much appreciated!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:42 PM

659 posts, read 945,869 times
I hate that question "may we contact your employer", because if you say no... employers almost always (to my knowledge) assume that you left on bad terms. Half of the companies I worked with went bankrupt, got merged, my previous bosses got laid off, etc.

Some of the companies I worked with are so secretive that I can't find their updated and newer information online anymore. I wish there was a "No Longer Available" option.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:41 PM

6,770 posts, read 6,046,865 times
OP, it's probably OK to let them call your employer. You should be able to coordinate the timing - just don't let them call until you have officially accepted the new offer, have it in writing (paper, not email) and you have informed your current manager.

You could maybe give them an incorrect phone number - an innocent typing mistake - and then correct it for them after they actually try to call. Best of luck with the interview!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,303,504 times
A company contacting your current employer defeats the whole purpose of someone being secretive during their job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment