Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
In my experience. The best negotiation is done up front when they ask how much you want. If you've done your research and now what you can get, you can get a good offer and not have to do much at the back end.
Yeah, I generally have welcomed such approaches. It shows they're serious on some fronts. However, the issue is, I wouldn't bring it up unless they do. If they do bring it up, then it's much less taboo. Some folks and other advice here on C-D and elsewhere will suggest to not bring it up at all until you have an offer in hand. However, that's always a risk. If they deem you may be too expensive, they may just cut their losses and got seek others to interview. If you're happy where you're at, no harm really. OTOH, any other situation where you'd really like to consider it (e.g. currently unemployed, have a need to move out-of-state, or desire to just jump ship), that's a risk to consider. Some folks have been able to "wow" folks in an interview to greater effect. I'd say if they really press, either give them a range, or ask them what range they're offering.

I've been to some career fairs where salaries can be as low as $40K, or as high as $130K, depending on skills, experiences, background, security clearances, etc. They've been burned by interviewing an awesome candidate, only for the candidate to ask a salary that's way beyond their budget. The shoe fitted on the other foot too... candidates have been lowballed beyond belief. Some cases, one party was being what many would consider unreasonable, but there have been genuine cases of "wtf?". As such, recruiters will ask what salary or range they're looking for to get that out of the way. It's gone hand-in-hand with such questions as "are you a US citizen?", "do you need sponsorship?", "can you make the commute work to {this city}", or "when are you available?".

Someone recently posted a story of an acquaintance he knew who held out on his desired salary till the end. I was surprised to hear he went on 10 interviews just for one job , but the kick in the groin was when they offered him $80K when he was already making $140K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 AM
lye

3 posts, read 4,006 times
Thank you for your feedback. I negotiated a job offer today. I admirer you for your guts.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:09 AM
lye

3 posts, read 4,006 times
Wow thats impressive. What was your pitch?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:15 AM

435 posts, read 636,165 times
If you are interviewing for a sales job, it may work against you if you don't try to negotiate salary; they might think you are not assertive enough to be in sales. Really, any kind of job position that requires you to be influential in some way.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:57 PM

217 posts, read 314,627 times
Honestly, the key with negotiation is you have to be willing to walk away.

If you ask for more money and they say no, and you take it anyways, you're a poser. Now they know they have you by the ****.

Are you willing to walk away ( whether it's job, car, house, etc). That's pretty much the tell tale sign if a person knows how to negotiate or not. I see too many people "fake" negotiate and it's sad when you watch it unfold.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,694,915 times
It's never a bad idea to negotiate salary as long as you have a position to fall back on.

The only way I wouldn't negotiate an offer is the following things:

1) You are in a position of long-term unemployment and you need something.

2) The offer is on par to a significant raise over what your last full time job was.

3) The benefits are excellent

4) The commute is short.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 19,158 times
Learning from past mistakes, I always advice that you should negotiate salary. Abby Perkins wrote a structured strategy in her post: How to Negotiate Salary Like a Pro.

For me, the most important part of negotiation is where you 'set yourself apart'.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,754,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
If a company makes an offer, do they expect you to take what they offer OR try to negotiate something higher?
I agree with what everyone else has said.

Unless they explicitly state that the salary/wage is non-negotiable, it's never a bad idea to negotiate...

You could very well be leaving base pay/benefits on the table if you accept the first offer they make you.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:31 AM

44 posts, read 90,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
In my experience. The best negotiation is done up front when they ask how much you want. If you've done your research and now what you can get, you can get a good offer and not have to do much at the back end.
This has always been my experience. I always give some crazy number as my salary and then the company tries to talk me down. They will usually meet me at the high end and I get way more than market rate. I usually only have 2 conversation about salary. What I tell them and what they are willing to offer afterwards.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:38 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,754,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonx2man View Post
This has always been my experience. I always give some crazy number as my salary and then the company tries to talk me down. They will usually meet me at the high end and I get way more than market rate. I usually only have 2 conversation about salary. What I tell them and what they are willing to offer afterwards.
My only fear with trying that tactic is receiving the dreaded follow-up question of "Can you explain why, based on your qualifications, we should pay you that much?"

If you're dealing with a HR Rep/Hiring Manager who's really in a bad mood, or a company that is extremely cheap, they'll chew you to pieces.

So I'd only recommend using the "give some crazy high number upfront" method if you're willing to walk away from the job opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment