Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:39 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,314,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
^^^^This is exactly what I would do. Ask her, "What would you do differently?" "Why don't you tell (the boss) about (insert name of person she's complaining about)?" "Why do you work here if you have so many complaints about everything and everyone?" Just bombard her with questions that will make her think deeper. Just keep doing this until she stops. If she doesn't stop, kick it up a notch. Don't let up with making her think about her behavior.
I know - what is the use of complaining if you don't have a solution in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 04:44 PM

19,878 posts, read 12,170,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine_in_my_coffee View Post
Unfortunately we do not have a HR department. It is a small organization.
Your first post pretty much described our office gossip/nonstop talker to a T. Only problem, she IS our HR. No one can say anything because she retaliates and knows how to really hurt someone since she controls our insurance, etc. The boss has been repeatedly told but seems to have his head in the sand.

I know how much it sucks to have someone this bad in the workplace. They don't get better...ours is continually getting worse. Quite a few good workers have quit. Companies do not realize how expensive having a toxic employee can be.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:34 PM

20 posts, read 20,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Your first post pretty much described our office gossip/nonstop talker to a T. Only problem, she IS our HR. No one can say anything because she retaliates and knows how to really hurt someone since she controls our insurance, etc. The boss has been repeatedly told but seems to have his head in the sand.

I know how much it sucks to have someone this bad in the workplace. They don't get better...ours is continually getting worse. Quite a few good workers have quit. Companies do not realize how expensive having a toxic employee can be.
That would really suck. I wish we had a HR department. We have a Board that isn't concerned about what goes on in the office. This place has gone through many employees. This boils down to the environment not being changed.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
^^^^This is exactly what I would do. Ask her, "What would you do differently?" "Why don't you tell (the boss) about (insert name of person she's complaining about)?" "Why do you work here if you have so many complaints about everything and everyone?" Just bombard her with questions that will make her think deeper. Just keep doing this until she stops. If she doesn't stop, kick it up a notch. Don't let up with making her think about her behavior.
Today the complaining just got on my nerves and before I could stop myself I blurted out, "Just get over it!" My tone was pure agitation. Of course she stopped for bit and then continued later but gosh it felt good. It was the closest I can get to "SHUT UP!"

Old 09-19-2014, 07:53 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,701,009 times
The ol' "if you dont like it, theres the door" comment always seems to work for me.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 PM

17 posts, read 23,176 times
This thread piqued my interest because I am on the other side of the coin and wanted to see if any managers replied with a solution that helped in a situation like this. I am the manager of an employee that is just like this. Because I don't want to lose any more good employees due to this person's demeanor, not only have I tried in various methods to squash their constant outpouring of their negative outlook on life, work, and others, I have tried several times to encourage the negative employee to apply for other jobs within the company. I have taken the situation to my supervisor with no support. In a recent job review where I asked all of my employees what were their career goals and, in a nutshell, this person said they have none. I wish I could tell my staff that I have tried to advocate for them. Instead, I look like the manager with my head stuck in the sand or that I just don't care

Last edited by pcn28; 09-19-2014 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 09-19-2014, 10:33 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,428,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcn28 View Post
This thread piqued my interest because I am on the other side of the coin and wanted to see if any managers replied with a solution that helped in a situation like this. I am the manager of an employee that is just like this. Because I don't want to lose any more good employees due to this person's demeanor, not only have I tried in various methods to squash their constant outpouring of their negative outlook on life, work, and others, I have tried several times to encourage the negative employee to apply for other jobs within the company. I have taken the situation to my supervisor with no support. In a recent job review where I asked all of my employees what were their career goals and, in a nutshell, this person said they have none. I wish I could tell my staff that I have tried to advocate for them. Instead, I look like the manager with my head stuck in the sand or that I just doesn't care
Fire the person. Seriously, if you are the actual manager, fire the person. Your team will appreciate it, and your performance will improve. If you have to find a reason, then do so, but if you really are the manager, LET THEM GO.

If you need to document it, then have counseling sessions about their "problem". Being unwilling to let someone like this go is basically firing the people that will leave because of it.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:22 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,481,670 times
Am I the only one to notice that the people that start these "wooooo is me" threads are always Newbies to the forum???!?!?!?!? Always at the starting, throw you a bone "10" rep point. Makes me think some folks out there enjoy multiple "screen" name postings just to see how many "helpful" folk they can reel in. Just something to consider....

Old 09-20-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Am I the only one to notice that the people that start these "wooooo is me" threads are always Newbies to the forum???!?!?!?!? Always at the starting, throw you a bone "10" rep point. Makes me think some folks out there enjoy multiple "screen" name postings just to see how many "helpful" folk they can reel in. Just something to consider....
What does me being a newbie have to do with me having a work issue? That is stupid to even try to point. I am a newbie because I just found this thread while searching for solutions to the problem I am having. Did you ever think of that? Basically you're saying "newbie" shouldn't post their questions.

I searched the thread before posting my question. Had there been a previous post about this I would have read it instead but I did not see one. Don't knock people because they are new to the forum. You were new once too.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,995,317 times
Workplaces everywhere abound with ignorant, incompetent, nasty, two-faced people who know everything In my experience, managers don't want to know about personality conflicts in the workplace unless this person is causing issues with productivity or doing/saying things that create a hostile work environment, e.g. racist or sexist remarks. You really can't win with this type of person, so don't even try. Go to work, do your job, go home, and try to ignore everything in between; when she starts complaining just keep doing your work. Also, I suspect that if your office is as small as you say, your boss already knows what this employee is all about but either doesn't care or isn't able to do anything about it. If this employee shows up for work, meets her productivity requirements, and is even half-way competent your manager might not be able to do anything. A manager has to be able to show documented counseling sessions for related issues and must have a legitimate cause for termination.
jmho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment