Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn15 View Post
I work for a small company that cannot afford to give me a raise (I am currently making what I was making on unemployment 4 years ago). I have informed my boss that I am beginning to seek other employment because I cannot cover my monthly expenses. How should I handle this situation? Any ideas?
Sounds more than reasonable on the part of the employer.

The business will continue even after you fly the coop, and the bean counting you do is a necessary part of the business.

Getting this woman up to snuff will make it easier for you to leave on good terms, provide you with more flexibility in starting your new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:00 PM

133 posts, read 175,343 times
Let's see. If you started work at 20 and now have over 30 years experience, that makes you approximately 50 years old. It can be tough out there at that age. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:05 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times
Why did you tell your boss you were *seeking* other employment? He's going to fire you and you'll be SOL if you don't find a new job.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:27 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,553 times
That's why you never EVER tell your boss or even anyone at work that you're looking for another job. You never even give clues. Of course he's going to have you train his wife and replace you. He's going to lay you off anyway at this point. I will bet this chair I'm sitting on. That was a really dumb move and I can't feel sorry for you.You can maybe get some really good references from these people, that's about it. Let's hope they don't turn on you when you leave or start interviewing. 30 yrs there, you grew his business. I don't know how rich you made him, but he profited a lot more from you than you from him. Now he's probably resentful that you're leaving.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:01 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
You shouldn't have told your boss that you're looking for another job. You are now learning the reason why this is a bad idea.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
I'll echo the others that pointed out its unwise to tell your employer you are actively seeking other work. Beyond that, what do you care if she actually learns it properly? As soon as she does, they'll fire you. Personally I wouldn't stress one little bit about teaching her to do actually do it right. It won't concern you soon.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:15 AM

I personally would sabotage her. If you say she's not too bright it's easy then. Just teach her how to do it the wrong way. I've never been asked to train my replacement. That's a slap in the face. He's messin' with you and probably getting a laugh behind your back; him and the wife both. But then I have never told anybody, boss or worker, that I was looking for a new job. You gave them a noose to hang you so now deal with it. Put the big girl pants on and face the music. In real life, nobody is "your friend" especially when it comes to $$.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'll echo the others that pointed out its unwise to tell your employer you are actively seeking other work. Beyond that, what do you care if she actually learns it properly? As soon as she does, they'll fire you. Personally I wouldn't stress one little bit about teaching her to do actually do it right. It won't concern you soon.
of course. the better you train your replacement, the sooner that one will take your job and the sooner you'll bet fired. Why would anybody want to hasten their demise?

Old 09-19-2014, 08:24 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
With 30 years experience you let your employer know you were thinking of leaving/quitting? Without another job lined up?

Are you insane?

Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM

5,207 posts, read 4,667,902 times
Unreasonable or not, you'll be gone in two weeks so do whatever you can in that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment