Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,314,530 times

Advertisements

Okay so I have a BS in Business and for a while had no clue what I wanted to do. My first job was working for a small publishing company handling operations and shipping. I left that company several months ago because there was just no challenge or advancement oppurtunity and some personal issues arose ( I left on good terms with a recommendation letter).

Okay so now heres the problem. I am currently unemployed and trying to get into supply chain work or purchasing and have no clue where to start. My uncle was a procurer for a well known marketing firm with barely any business education and he made 80k + a year. So is supply chain management hard to get into? Is purchasing? Where do I start? I've been catching up with old friends recently and almost all of them have well paying jobs or careers and I'm sitting here doing nothing. I honestly don't want to be a loser and am reaching out trying to network, but watching people my age (mid 20s) succeed while I remain stagnant is demoralizing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 05:13 AM

57 posts, read 109,516 times
My only advice would have been not to quit until you had something else , but thats obviously too late now.

It looks bad with a gap on your resume and also reflects poorly on your personality and tendencies.

At this point , I would just try and get anything back on your resume and just apply to everything. Ive always believed that money>happiness. Once your making a decent salary , then focus on getting into the career you want to.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:28 AM

928 posts, read 1,103,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan123 View Post
My only advice would have been not to quit until you had something else , but thats obviously too late now.

It looks bad with a gap on your resume and also reflects poorly on your personality and tendencies.

At this point , I would just try and get anything back on your resume and just apply to everything. Ive always believed that money>happiness. Once your making a decent salary , then focus on getting into the career you want to.
Great advice sportsfan. Op you need to get back to the work force asap. The longer you are out of work the more undesirable you become.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan123 View Post

Yeah quitting with nothing lined up was a dumb idea. Luckily I do have several people looking for jobs for me. Also, my old boss is willing to let me come back,but I will only do that as a last resort.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:02 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,860,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Yeah quitting with nothing lined up was a dumb idea. Luckily I do have several people looking for jobs for me. Also, my old boss is willing to let me come back,but I will only do that as a last resort.
Take it. Always easier to find a job when you have one.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
I agree you should go back to your old job because being unemployed makes finding a job much harder.

There are people with degrees in Logistics and Supply Chain Management or Purchasing and Supply Chain Management who are unable to find work in their field, so it may be tough for someone with a Business degree to land a job in that field. If you're unemployed and looking for one specific job, you may find yourself unemployed for a lot longer.

Also, you cannot be passive about looking for a job. Join networking groups in your area through Find your people - Meetup or your local Chamber of Commerce and talk to as many people as possible letting them know you're looking to make a job change. Keep going to those meetings so you're staying on their radar screen.

What your uncle did is no longer relevant. Today you not only need a degree, those degrees are very specific.

Don't get discouraged and keep plugging away, but do go back to that old job because being employed is critical.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:54 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
Take your old job back.

The past doesn't matter. My boss' brother (just retired after something like 40 years on the job) made a six figure salary with a HS education. His replacement will probably have a master's degree.

Would a graduate degree in supply chain management help?

Old 09-17-2014, 11:58 AM

The only problem with taking the old job back is, I know for a fact I do not want to stay there long term. I can do the job well I'm just not a good fit with the company's culture in a pretty big way. Thats why I said last resort. Also, once I go back I would continue to look for other work. Leaving a 2nd time would pretty much end all contact I have with the company. My manager went from wanting to fire me to considering me a good friend. I dont want to ruin that.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:08 PM

694 posts, read 1,204,840 times
Supply chain management is very sophisticated now and people get Masters degrees in it, I was shocked because I always thought, what's the big deal, but things are complicated these days. The role includes detailed knowledge of all the products and services that the firm purchases such as do you really need a renewal for the XYZ software, or what does a particular piece of equipment do for the network. It also includes contract negotiation skills not just the payment, but termination clauses. It also includes vendor management, making sure that you do due diligence on the vendors, risk-rate them, perform periodic reviews whether they still deliver the service your firm needs, and at the most advantageous price, in other words, this has become a complex job.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Supply chain management is very sophisticated now and people get Masters degrees in it, I was shocked because I always thought, what's the big deal, but things are complicated these days. The role includes detailed knowledge of all the products and services that the firm purchases such as do you really need a renewal for the XYZ software, or what does a particular piece of equipment do for the network. It also includes contract negotiation skills not just the payment, but termination clauses. It also includes vendor management, making sure that you do due diligence on the vendors, risk-rate them, perform periodic reviews whether they still deliver the service your firm needs, and at the most advantageous price, in other words, this has become a complex job.
Yeah I would like to get a masters but I can't afford it right now.l like the complexity of it...makes it interesting...I get bored easily because I learn things very quickly and it doesn't become a challenge anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment