Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:29 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,636,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Curious, have you done this, or known software QA folks end up in this situation?
I've actually heard this a lot. I do more of a pseudo hardware/software with consideration to embedded development, so server, serial port, network protocol, gps, etc. I'm finding it's a bit of a pain to go that route in cities though, outside of server communication, so for the first time in a while I'm glad I kept my skill set broad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,015,856 times
Quote:

Curious, have you done this, or known software QA folks end up in this situation?
A friend is in this situation now. Been in QA jobs since getting a masters. Now she is trying to get dev experience. Boss is supportive but she hasn't had a ton of opportunities on the dev side. She is a great company now and is well paid but feeling stagnant.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,502,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A friend is in this situation now. Been in QA jobs since getting a masters. Now she is trying to get dev experience. Boss is supportive but she hasn't had a ton of opportunities on the dev side. She is a great company now and is well paid but feeling stagnant.

I've heard all sides of the coin... some devs have no respect for software testers/QA (swT), some like the work they do to ensure their work meets high standards... some swT/QA folk gone into dev since they feel there are better job opportunities there. Others went from developing to QA since they hated the sheer amount of code they had to go through, and plus, you get to interact with a lot of different people as a swT/QA person.

I've known a developer switch jobs because while she did get passed up for a promotion to project manager, she was there for 4 years, and the work was getting unexciting and she wasn't learning anything new.

I suppose a compromise for a QA person would be to do more automated testing using tools and writing scripts.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,015,856 times
Quote:
I've heard all sides of the coin... some devs have no respect for software testers/QA (swT), some like the work they do to ensure their work meets high standards... some swT/QA folk gone into dev since they feel there are better job opportunities there. Others went from developing to QA since they hated the sheer amount of code they had to go through, and plus, you get to interact with a lot of different people as a swT/QA person.

I've known a developer switch jobs because while she did get passed up for a promotion to project manager, she was there for 4 years, and the work was getting unexciting and she wasn't learning anything new.

I suppose a compromise for a QA person would be to do more automated testing using tools and writing scripts.
That is what my friend is starting to do (not an engineer/programmer type so i don't know about the progression).

Old 09-10-2014, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,317 times
Take the job. They are paying you a lot more because your work, and subsequently your gained experience, is much more valuable. Software development has limitless opportunities in this day and age and whose value will never go away. Money is an extremely important factor in the opportunity cost of life. The more you make, the faster you pay off those pesky loans and the earlier you can retire. It will allow you to live to work, rather than work to live.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:49 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,864,496 times
What do you think?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,636,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
What do you think?
Late reply, twas distracted by my birthday!

I think I should take it, but the consequence of leaving a job early is a bit foreign to me outside of when I made the jump from working retail to the internship that I held for 2 years. In that case, it was a literal double of pay as is this current position that I hold, and the one that's available to me is yet again doubling my pay. I think something about being out of college and this being more of a career move is for whatever reason frightening to me, but is it worth it?

I've concluded that it is a good decision to move forward with it with consideration that outside of reputation, it's a very good and lucrative shift. I also am not much of a job hopper if the situation I have is good, as was the reason why I stuck with the internship I got for 2 straight years. Had I not wanted to move [back] across the country, I'd probably still be working there at roughly the same pay I make now.

Something I picked up from my father who spends 5-10 years at a company before moving on, and only really due to layoff situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment