Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,377,680 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously thinking of going into the airlines. I kinda want to travel, to see the world, and stuff. That, and I kinda need to get away from the rut my life is in. So, I've been looking at three jobs.

Customer service agent
Customer service manager
Flight attendant trainee

I've no idea how these businesses are like, so I want to talk to an actual person who works in the business. Particularly a flight attendant. How are they paid, not just in salary, but tips secondary pay (I heard something about how they don't get paid until the plane takes off). What happens with rent/hotels and so on. You have time for groceries or is the schedule so weird, you have to eat out? Basically, the entire experience, as much as possible.

I just applied, so this may be moot point, but in case it's not...

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 09-03-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:59 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,025,856 times
I am not a flight attendant but I do have 27 years in the airline business so I will give you my take on things.

First, if you are just looking for a job and think working for an airline might be as good as anything else, my advice to you is run as fast and far away from that idea as you can. Entry level jobs pay awful. Flight attendants start out making about the same as a clerk working at a convenience store. As a flight attendant chances are good that you will get furloughed one or more times. You might get laid off all together as airlines have a habit of going out of business. Customer service agents often start out part time. Many are seasonal and can expect to get laid off after the busy season. Airlines often find themselves in a financial hardship. When this happens you will be asked, or told to take a paycut and give up other benefits. The next financial hardship will come before you have recouped your losses from the last one. You have to put up with non stop complaining and bickering,and that is just from your co-workers. After a while you will swear that many passengers IQ's are cut in half anytime they get near an airport.

However...If you sense some unkown sensation every time you drive past an airport or start laughing every time the flight you are riding on hits turbulance or have a yearning for a job with no set work schedule then a career in the airline business might just be the most awsome job you will ever have. To keep your sanity in the airline business you have to have a real love for it.

I believe most flight attendants get paid from the time the plane blocks out until it blocks back in. You might get per diem if you have to layover somewhere. If you are working under contract there may be additional pay if you have to work past your normal contract day or if you get reduced crew rest. If you do layover somewhere the airline pays for your hotel. The rest of your expenses are your's to pay. Flight attendants usually are assigned to a base airport. Just starting out you have no seniority and may have to relocate to a base other than where you live. Where ever you end up being based living expenses come out of your pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment