Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 AM

188 posts, read 238,200 times

Advertisements

In order to be promoted to higher level in company, what need to do?
And what shouldn't do? and what should do?
In relation with co-workers, managers, what are the principle ways of behavior(or mindset) for successful company life?
(For example, don't talk negatively things like that...)
Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 AM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCool64 View Post
In order to be promoted to a higher level in a company, what does one need to do?
1) be there 2) be qualified/capable 3) be trusted 4) be liked

And in that order of importance.
btw... That qualified/capable thing will usually include language skill.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:19 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,790 times
Talk to the manager about what you need to do. Seriously, don't guess. Others can see our blindspots far better than we can.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) be there 2) be qualified/capable 3) be trusted 4) be liked

And in that order of importance.
btw... That qualified/capable thing will usually include language skill.
Hmmm
You are a funny man.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,526,869 times
Many a man has been there, been qualified, trusted and liked and still never be promoted. Want to be promoted? Get a better offer for your desired "promotion" at a different company. Companies don't promote from within anymore. It's not the 1950s. You have to play dirty politics and oust from the company all others who are competing for your promotion. Look at the behavior of wolves: Beta wants Alpha's place. What does Beta do?

All humor aside: Managers don't want you to get promoted. That threatens them. You may eventually take his job or have him ousted. Like I just stated, get your promotion at another company.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Many a man has been there, been qualified, trusted and liked and still never be promoted. Want to be promoted? Get a better offer for your desired "promotion" at a different company. Companies don't promote from within anymore. It's not the 1950s. You have to play dirty politics and oust from the company all others who are competing for your promotion. Look at the behavior of wolves: Beta wants Alpha's place. What does Beta do?

All humor aside: Managers don't want you to get promoted. That threatens them. You may eventually take his job or have him ousted. Like I just stated, get your promotion at another company.
Mystique13, I agree 100%.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCool64 View Post
Mystique13, I agree 100%.
The you should probably have asked a question about how to do THAT instead.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,526,869 times
Because it's naive to say you have to be liked, trusted, qualified, etc. to get promoted. Put down the Kool Aid for a second. Yes, qualified. But that is one small part of it. POLITICS. I'll say it again. Plenty who have not been liked or trusted have been promoted. Just look at the banking industry, insurance, and any serious profit generating industry. You think these C level execs who bring in billions of profit are "liked"? "Trusted"? It's all about $. Some of you sound like some Paul Newman 50s film. You read the ending of the Wizard of Oz right?

Pick up the Wall Street Journal sometime, or Forbes.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The you should probably have asked a question about how to do THAT instead.
Mynatiional, you should ask that question to yourself.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post

Maybe some truth to this but you cannot make a generalization. I am constantly encouraging my people to take advantage of our generous internal training programs, tuition reimbursement and outside training budget to help them get promotions. I am not worried about anyone taking my job, I'm trying to help build
a successful future for good employees so they will stay here, and to have some qualified candidates to take over when I retire. In our specialized industry there are significant costs and a long learning curve to bringing in someone from the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment