Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,909,417 times

Advertisements

Employees aren't required to give a reason at my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,917,581 times
Upset because she broke up with her boyfriend. Took 4 days for that one, actually.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,412,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Yep, my wife missed three days because she had to get stitches in her finger trying to save our dachshund from a German shepherd ...
I've never had a job that would consider stitches in a finger as a reason to miss work FOR THREE DAYS ... and my jobs always involved typing. Perhaps if the procedure had just happened or involved a hospital admission but otherwise ... What kind of work does she do?

Old 08-17-2014, 10:49 PM

31 posts, read 33,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stygmata View Post
My favorite excuse was the employee who called in because she had a rash under her breasts and had to remain inverted on the bed to let them air out.
I've had that rash and when your bra rubs on it it is quite painful. The rash won't go away unless it has time to dry out and with medicine and when you stand up the breasts keep that area warm and moist. So if that's too much information for you, you really did deserve it by being insensitive and ill informed. I think you owe that woman an apology

Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 PM

31 posts, read 33,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Employees aren't required to give a reason at my job.
As it should be. You have alotted sick days and judging from the insensitivity I've seen displayed here; do you really want an employee so depressed from the death of their dog, their baby, man's best friend that they are crying all day? Do you want your employees breaking down crying and talking about their ex all day or too stoned to maintain. Everyone has their own issues that are private and important to them and a personal day might be required in order for them to give their best. Mental health is as important as physical health and unless you want your employees losing it you be best served to mind your own business and excuse them

Last edited by 78's; 08-17-2014 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Misspelling

Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,455,768 times
if it's PTO, i don't care. if it's a sick day usually employees give me a reason.

a dog dying would be one of the bad excuses in the places where i have worked even though i fully realize that to many folks, a dog is like a member of the family. but then again, a guy might extend that logic to his goldfish dying, etc.

i did have one case where our payroll company screwed up and everyone's paycheck was a day late. we got paid on the 15th and last day of the month so it wasn't necessarily on a friday, etc. this time it was supposed to direct deposit on a wednesday but due to their mess up, they notified everyone on monday that rather than direct deposit on wednesday it would be delayed a day until thursday.

i didn't think much of it and it didn't seem like the employees thought much of it either until wednesday rolled around and one guy emailed me saying that he couldn't come into work because the direct deposit didn't go into his bank account on wednesday. he gave a list of reasons including:

1) felt that someone was being sneaky by trying to save 1 days of interest (and felt that he deserved to be paid interest for the 1 day that it was late)
2) didn't have gas money since he was going to buy gas on wednesday
3) didn't have lunch money since he was going to use his direct deposit

etc...in short, he was saying that his life was turned upside down and would be unable to work on wednesday and felt that it should be a day off for himself and the rest of the company for the screw up.

we laughed and told him to take PTO which he wasn't happy about but oh well.

a few months later during an important phase of the project, he threatened to quit unless we gave him a raise. he did good work so we gave it to him (it was a startup and he had been working there for about 6 months).

he quit a few months later anyway and was amicable about it when he left saying that he found his dream job that he always wanted and how much he appreciated the opportunities we gave him, etc.

i like to stay in touch with all of my employees (especially the good ones and he was good despite this weird stuff) because many times they aren't happy and i hire them back, etc. i sent him an IM a few months later just asking how he's doing and he came back with a weird "why are you contacting me? what do you want from me?" vibe...strange cat.

oh well.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 PM

265 posts, read 407,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
if it's PTO, i don't care. if it's a sick day usually employees give me a reason.

a dog dying would be one of the bad excuses in the places where i have worked even though i fully realize that to many folks, a dog is like a member of the family. but then again, a guy might extend that logic to his goldfish dying, etc.

i did have one case where our payroll company screwed up and everyone's paycheck was a day late. we got paid on the 15th and last day of the month so it wasn't necessarily on a friday, etc. this time it was supposed to direct deposit on a wednesday but due to their mess up, they notified everyone on monday that rather than direct deposit on wednesday it would be delayed a day until thursday.

i didn't think much of it and it didn't seem like the employees thought much of it either until wednesday rolled around and one guy emailed me saying that he couldn't come into work because the direct deposit didn't go into his bank account on wednesday. he gave a list of reasons including:

1) felt that someone was being sneaky by trying to save 1 days of interest (and felt that he deserved to be paid interest for the 1 day that it was late)
2) didn't have gas money since he was going to buy gas on wednesday
3) didn't have lunch money since he was going to use his direct deposit

etc...in short, he was saying that his life was turned upside down and would be unable to work on wednesday and felt that it should be a day off for himself and the rest of the company for the screw up.

we laughed and told him to take PTO which he wasn't happy about but oh well.

a few months later during an important phase of the project, he threatened to quit unless we gave him a raise. he did good work so we gave it to him (it was a startup and he had been working there for about 6 months).

he quit a few months later anyway and was amicable about it when he left saying that he found his dream job that he always wanted and how much he appreciated the opportunities we gave him, etc.

i like to stay in touch with all of my employees (especially the good ones and he was good despite this weird stuff) because many times they aren't happy and i hire them back, etc. i sent him an IM a few months later just asking how he's doing and he came back with a weird "why are you contacting me? what do you want from me?" vibe...strange cat.

oh well.
One of the dumber things I've heard on this forum.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,348,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
They had a hangover and told me all about it Lol, too honest

They were to stoned to come to the office (supposedly accidentally ate an edible without realizing it). Lol, that's a totally valid excuse

They had to watch their sister's kids because she could not afford to miss work. Maybe her sister needs to work all 40 hrs. each week in order to get by for the month

My favorite and one of the few times I was actually okay with someone just taking a day off, a sales woman called and said it was that time of the month and she absolutely could not deal with a customer with a bad attitude and needed a mental health day. Lol, she was WAY too honest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Cramps. Totally valid excuse
Headache. Headache or migraine...
Bad allergies. Sometimes you can't function if you're constantly coughing, sneezing, and wiping your watery eyes.
Didn't sleep last night. Totally valid excuse
Being upset about something personal. Totally valid excuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Upset because she broke up with her boyfriend. Took 4 days for that one, actually.
Some people need some time to heal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
1.Didn't feel like it. Sometimes my depression gets the best of me, although I would've probably lied and said that I was sick
5. Christmas shopping. Hope you got a gift
Man, I'm glad that some of y'all aren't my manager.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:34 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,469,077 times
One time back when I was working at a grocery store I called in to my boss and let him know I drank waaay too much the night before and there was no way I could make it in. He said thanks for being honest, see you tomorrow. It helped that I ALWAYS covered for him when other people called in. Usually they came up with crafty excuses like "My car engine exploded, then they magically drove to work in said car the next day.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:46 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,076,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadstugatzi View Post
A few weeks ago, we had one of our Pit-Dogs ( Before you jump on me, a Pit Dogs' ( dogger) is an industry term for crane operator/helpers ) call in some time off for a death in the family.
Absolutely no big deal, we honor bereavement no questions asked, however the death?

A Dog.

ARE.YOU.KIDDING.ME

We summarily rejected his bereavement pay and now hes pulling the old Go-Slow on us...

As a side note, anyone looking for work in Louisville, KY area? I have a feeling a position will be coming open pretty soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
To some of us our dogs are the most important things in our lives.
+1. My dog was. When my 11 year old Great Dane passed away, you bet I took a day off. I have no family in my life, save a sister, so he was my constant guard and companion. OP is being rather judgmental, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment