Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 3 days ago)

16,092 posts, read 21,217,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Cramps.
Headache.
Bad allergies.
Didn't sleep last night.
Being upset about something personal.
my dog is having puppies and I need to help her
my cockatiel flew out an open window and I need to go look for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 06:36 PM

639 posts, read 1,967,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78's View Post
I've had that rash and when your bra rubs on it it is quite painful. The rash won't go away unless it has time to dry out and with medicine and when you stand up the breasts keep that area warm and moist. So if that's too much information for you, you really did deserve it by being insensitive and ill informed. I think you owe that woman an apology
I don't see anything wrong with taking the day off for that. What's wrong is telling your boss all the details!

Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,663,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
At a previous job I had a really long commute. It was about 1 hour 15 minutes to work. I remember that morning being really hectic. I woke up a bit late and was scrambling to get ready fast. I got up in the dark, drove in the dark and the sun was just coming up as I arrived at work after my commute.

I was ready to get out of the car and looked down. To my horror I had NO pants on. I had on my dress shoes and socks and a polo but no pants. To this day I honestly have no clue how I did this. I must have been a bit more out of it that morning that I had previously thought.

Rather than driving home and getting pants and driving back and showing up 3 hours late I called my supervisor and said I wasn't feeling well. The truth would have been too weird. I thought about trying to buy pants somewhere but I started this job at 6 am and nothing in this small town area was open yet.

Needless to say I carry a spare outfit (including shoes) in my car at all times now.

This is the funniest thing I've ever read on c-d! Mr_Geek, you win for most entertaining post, and kudos to you for being so honest!

It's almost every persons nightmare, isn't it?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,874,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadstugatzi View Post
A few weeks ago, we had one of our Pit-Dogs ( Before you jump on me, a Pit Dogs' ( dogger) is an industry term for crane operator/helpers ) call in some time off for a death in the family.
Absolutely no big deal, we honor bereavement no questions asked, however the death?

A Dog.

ARE.YOU.KIDDING.ME

We summarily rejected his bereavement pay and now hes pulling the old Go-Slow on us...

As a side note, anyone looking for work in Louisville, KY area? I have a feeling a position will be coming open pretty soon!
I hadn't missed a day of work for over 7 years but called in when my dog was sick.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 PM

701 posts, read 1,694,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
At a previous job I had a really long commute. It was about 1 hour 15 minutes to work. I remember that morning being really hectic. I woke up a bit late and was scrambling to get ready fast. I got up in the dark, drove in the dark and the sun was just coming up as I arrived at work after my commute.

I was ready to get out of the car and looked down. To my horror I had NO pants on. I had on my dress shoes and socks and a polo but no pants. To this day I honestly have no clue how I did this. I must have been a bit more out of it that morning that I had previously thought.

Rather than driving home and getting pants and driving back and showing up 3 hours late I called my supervisor and said I wasn't feeling well. The truth would have been too weird. I thought about trying to buy pants somewhere but I started this job at 6 am and nothing in this small town area was open yet.

Needless to say I carry a spare outfit (including shoes) in my car at all times now.
LMAO. The worst I've done in that area is go to work in my slippers. Realized about halfway through the commute that my feet were particularly warm, looked down, and saw the slippers. I just went with it. They are moccasin looking slippers with a decent sole, so I just hid them under my desk all day.

My favorite excuse I've gotten so far is, "I ate some bad pizza last night."

Old 08-19-2014, 03:59 AM

863 posts, read 1,199,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I can see taking the day or at least part of it off to haul the dead dog down to the vet or pound for disposal, but I would not waste PTO grieving, to me, it's after all, a dog. I do know people for whom the dog or cat is their "children" and though I don't understand it myself (having both children and dogs) I sympathize as does my employer. In fact my boss took a day off after her dog died recently. We only require proof of illness for sick leave, which is separate from PTO which can be used for anything. Bereavement leave is also separate, but is not available for pets. If you work for me and take a day off when your pet dies it just means losing a day of PTO, I would not question or deny it.

At times being either an employer or an employee, I think this is a BS rule. It's rules like this that'll make an employee come in hacking up half a lung and end up spreading illness to either customers or other employees. Most cases of the common cold or flu aren't serious enough to go to the Dr. but serious enough that the person would be better off in bed for a day or two. That type of rule is usually used by companies with high turnover........and that's often symptomatic of a bigger problem.

The two best excuses I ever heard: One Saturday morning I had an employee call and slur into the phone - "Hey boss, I've been up all night smoking crack and drinking. If you want, I can probably make it in but I won't be worth a sh*t." He got points for honesty and also every crap job we had for the next month.

..........and this one - " I don't know when I can make it in today, there's a family of skunks hanging around my car"

Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,301,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I've never had a job that would consider stitches in a finger as a reason to miss work FOR THREE DAYS ... and my jobs always involved typing. Perhaps if the procedure had just happened or involved a hospital admission but otherwise ... What kind of work does she do?
In high school I worked at Dunkin Donuts. Three stitches in thumb when racing to get off shift and cut self w knife. Out of work 1 week until stitches came out of hand per MD order.

On the other end of the spectrum, i worked there w a girl WHOSE HOUSE BURNED DOWN THAT DAY AND SHE CAME TO WORK as scheduled at 3p. Blew my mind. Made me proud to be Portuguese that day- dedicated workers, in general.

Last edited by Utopian Slums; 08-19-2014 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: house burned down chick addition

Old 08-19-2014, 05:05 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,301,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Cramps.
Headache.
Bad allergies.
Didn't sleep last night.
Being upset about something personal.
I've called in sick for cramps. Sleeping 20hrs, bleeding when already anemic and heavily medicated is not someone you want evaluating your mental status. (Then a beach at my office told everyone, "did you know X didn't come in yesterday since she had cramps? " I wish I smacked her but I was too tired.)

Also called in for lack of sleep. A serious medical circadian rhythm problem with me and I've been in 1 major car crash on a morning commute due to lack of sleep. I called in sick in the ambulance.

So i understand necessary sick calls and wish I didn't have to record reasons. When i did have to, mandated by my own boss, some of the more odd reasons were:

- I can't drive in the rain (?)
- my car is in the shop (she made plenty for a rental)
- another guy just screamed "NOOO" anx became irate when asked why. Found out later after 4 years that he was drunk at time and was a semi-functional alcoholic. Very sad situation since he was one of the best workers we ever had.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,123,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with taking the day off for that. What's wrong is telling your boss all the details!
Agree. You just say you don't feel well (truth) and won't be in.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,123,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I hadn't missed a day of work for over 7 years but called in when my dog was sick.
Here's my take on the death of a pet. It's devastating. I definitely don't want someone like a crane operator being distracted and coming to work--that could lead to disaster. I would have no problem with them (or anyone else) taking a day off. Unpaid or personal time or a vacation day.

What I do have a problem with is asking for bereavement leave for the death of a pet. "Bereavement leave" should be only for immediate family members or in very specific cases, a friend. In other words the guy you played football with during high school dies, you haven't seen him in 12 years, that's not bereavement leave material. On the other hand, your best friend of 45 years passes, even though they might not be a blood relation, someone like that is often as close if not closer than a sibling, and an employer should respect that relationship as if it were a family member. (Obviously these need to be taken case-by-case.)

If a pet is sick, the same applies. Take a personal day. I've done it, when the pet is really sick, it needs to go to the vet, and pets don't usually get sick at a time convenient to their owners.

The key is to call and say you had a household emergency and won't be in. The company shouldn't ask what the emergency was, the employee shouldn't offer more info. An employee who doesn't abuse leave and is reliable should never be hassled about using the time that the employer has allotted them for exactly this type of situation. I think the problems arise when employees abuse the policies or aren't reliable to begin with, or the employer has been burned in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment