Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 01:35 AM

555 posts, read 808,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So the question-should I give the new manager time to fix it given that generally thats who I deal with on a day to day basis-or is it time to bail as upper management is screwing us? Obviously continue to work while looking for a new position.
Run like the devil is chasing you! Dude, get out now while you still have a job, before they make up something to get you fired. Leave, leave! Even if the manager is good, nothing positive can come of this situation if the people above the new manager are bad. And they are very, very bad.

Everyone should leave now. Good luck to you and your coworkers!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 02:39 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,742,765 times
You all need to either grow a set and quit or suck it up and deal with it. The upper management is not going to do anything unless it is a problem. Also, given that you're saying it's a large company, you can take the days off issue to HR. They're usually willing to step in if something can get them sued.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:46 AM

788 posts, read 1,252,517 times
Quote:
The hardest part of it is our team rocks. I hate uncertainty, but hating uncertainty doesn't mean hanging out on the life raft refusing to board the rescue ship because you're used to the life raft is a good idea.
I am writing my responses purely based on what you wrote. But it seems to me that upper management either has no clue of how things work with your team, or they are cost cutters and do not see beyond that.And they only cut the obvious costs, not the hidden costs.

Therefore, they migh just be betting on your team loving working together and staying. Knowing that you might get a raise elsewhere, but will not encounter a team you like as much as this one.

And with the new employer, make sure that everything they promise is in writing.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:31 AM

40 posts, read 58,829 times
Everybody can be replaced and in the end we are all replaced and the world goes on. If you all are such good engineers, you should be able to find other jobs w/o much problem. You sound like you would be a better fit with a small start-up company. The management in them is often hands-on type fully involved with the projects. Pay will be lower but if the company finds success , there could be much better payoff in the future.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 AM

51,721 posts, read 26,011,112 times
Either your upper management folks are incompetent or they want you to quit as some sort of cost saving measure.

In any case, you've been given some good advice. Get your CV up on Linkin. Reach out to recruiters. Start networking like crazy.

Keep doing your work and keep your head down, but you'd be surprised at the opportunities that are out there.

Friend of ours works as a computer engineer for a well known company. Rumors of another round of layoffs got him to working his network. One of the companies he's been dealing with for years offered him a job. He took it. Pay raise, great team, stock options in six months.

You may find yourself in greener pastures. Can your whole team offer their services to a competitor by chance?

Old 08-17-2014, 08:47 AM

223 posts, read 301,526 times
I am so sorry for the unfairness you are going through. If it were me, I would just sit quietly in my cubbyhole and do my job while looking for something else. I would go into survival mode. I would not even tell my closest friend in the place that I was looking for a new position. When something like this occurs, it is every man for himself. Don't make any noise about the unfairness, as that might give them a reason to let you go if they are thinking about laying someone off. The squeaky wheel does not always get the grease. That excuse about not letting you apply for the manager's position because you are too valuable is just nonsense. They were just looking for a "yes" man.

Meanwhile, update your resume and contact your former manager to see if you can use him as a reference. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:28 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,100,878 times
Greywar, earlier in this thread someone asked a couple of questions but I must have missed your answer. Doesn't anyone on your team have anything in writing.. an offer letter.. anything?

I'm in agreement with the others... start looking for other employment while you still have a job to pay your bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You may find yourself in greener pastures. Can your whole team offer their services to a competitor by chance?
OP stated that this is a very large company. If so, they might have a non-compete clause. You can bet the OP's upper management will pull out something in writing from somewhere... maybe from those same policies that state sick leave is only 5 days, no overtime (I think that one is against federal regulations if you're not in one of the 'exempt' categories), no COL, etc.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:42 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,414,923 times
I'd be applying for anything out there.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:31 AM

15,653 posts, read 26,365,233 times
Quote:
Im 100% sure they can replace us. What they cant do is replace us, and keep the contract, losing 3 million a year or so. But as you indicate, they have other contracts, I don't have other jobs yet.

It was still wild to see the meetings. Our new manager met with me later and commented that it was like watching the people we work for do the exact opposite of the right thing throughout the entire meeting.

The hardest part of it is our team rocks. I hate uncertainty, but hating uncertainty doesn't mean hanging out on the life raft refusing to board the rescue ship because you're used to the life raft is a good idea.
Husband worked somewhere that pulled something similar -- eventually he was laid off, but in reality -- he was a "no" man, and they couldn't take it. Sales management team said new system could everything the upper management wanted to do -- tech people of that company said that wasn't what this system was designed for. Hubs kept telling anyone who would listen, till upper management couldn't take it anymore. Then made his junior take over his position -- with no better money and no bennies. Eventually -- four years later came the expensive lawsuit when the system failed entirely.

I'm going to give you one more piece of unwanted advice that hopefully you are following anyway. Get your money sorted out. Make sure you have a cash fund available to fall back on, and get your debt load as nonexistent as possible. Don't make big money plans or decisions until you know everything is either going to be okay, or you have another job on hand. Unemployment pays crap, and severance is not a guarantee. You've already seen how they stand by what they said.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 PM

75 posts, read 124,595 times
The writing is on the wall. Trying to change things, or waiting to see if they do, would be in vain. Absolutely leave. Absolutely say nothing - speaking up (even complaining to/with colleagues) could impact future job opportunities. Mind your Ps and Qs at work - get the job done, to the best of your ability, and get out.

Consider contacting your previous supervisor, if possible, and ask him/her for a reference - since s/he had worked with you for some time, s/he will be an excellent resource for potential employers to learn about you/what you bring to the table - and s/he's a recent supe, so that's fabulous (from the potential employer perspective). For now, if/when you reach out to your last supervisor - I'd stay clear of the conversation about why s/he left and why you're leaving (for now- take him/her out for a beer after you've secured a new job, and talk shop then).

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment