Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,981,420 times

Advertisements

The company is just saying that to avoid lawsuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,205,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The company is just saying that to avoid lawsuits.
Even if that's the case, isn't it smart to do that?

I used to work for a company a long time ago and run their analytics reporting on recruitment trends. They would compare the new hires against the respective demography in the each geography and see if that stats match. It didn't have to match exactly but it should show there was enough representation of its constituents. And if not, there has to be a valid reason and paper trail of list of applicants, selection process, offers, etc.

I personally think it was a bit overboard but a smart move to avoid or be prepared for a lawsuit.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 AM

662 posts, read 1,052,953 times
Diversity is important if you want to stay in business. Demographics are changing. When have a one-minded workforce who all look the same, you risk losing business because the population wants to buy from people that support their ideals more.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Diversity is important if you want to stay in business. Demographics are changing. When have a one-minded workforce who all look the same, you risk losing business because the population wants to buy from people that support their ideals more.
I agree! And you might be surprised that there are some big names in the industry that wants its clients to prove their diversity before they would do biz with them. And not just at the low level, they want to see diversity in mid-level and in management. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard that. And these a some big names in the industry that set trends.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 AM

30 posts, read 37,332 times
Quote:
Exactly! This is why rap videos show only African-engineered and African-made automobiles.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:26 AM

951 posts, read 1,145,706 times
I wish there was diversity where I currently work at and in the last 10 years (financial industries). Nobody really ever admits this, but it sucks being a minority.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
I wish there was diversity where I currently work at and in the last 10 years (financial industries). Nobody really ever admits this, but it sucks being a minority.
Every American financial in NY/NJ that I know has significant numbers of Asians; not just IT and Ops but across the board. JPMC, BOA, Citi, Goldman, BoNY, Bloomberg, BBH, Blackrock to name a few.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 PM

951 posts, read 1,145,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Every American financial in NY/NJ that I know has significant numbers of Asians; not just IT and Ops but across the board. JPMC, BOA, Citi, Goldman, BoNY, Bloomberg, BBH, Blackrock to name a few.
Well, I live in MN, and it's not as diverse. There's diversity in financial industries here, but it's usually at the lower-end jobs where it does not require a lot of education. I suppose it's not really the company's fault as I don't see too many minority ethnic groups here aiming for higher education and higher paying jobs. I come from an ethnic group that's part of the first generation to graduate from college in the U.S. Would love to move to a place like San Francisco for more diversity, but that would only be a dream since COL there would be too high.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,155,293 times
A little more background that might help explain the "focus". Our Company does recruiting almost exclusively on college campuses. The process involves summer leadership programs, on campus job fairs, dinners, and fun activities like bowling. After all of these events you really just need one person to vouch for you to get invited to interview (and a 3.0 gpa in a specific major). Unless you are in the top 1% of prospects, you also need to do a paid spring internship. That rules out most people serious about college athletics. I don't see any diversity at the campus level so its impossible to get diverse interviewees.

Also, most of the recruiting is done by people under 35. I don't think our generation really has strong biases against hiring a diverse workforce, it just isn't available. I just think that our Company should treat everyone without regard to skin color and focus on getting the best students, not on diversity.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,008,285 times
Quote:
Yup! Opening up the places you search for applicants doesn't hurt the company at all. Let's say you are looking for engineers, and you only go to specific schools (the ones where the c-level people went). How does it hurt to add more schools to the pool? Or reach out to the local black engineer, latino engineer, indian engineer etc club too? You get a bigger pool of people to talk to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment