Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,750,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
People on this board refer to women as bimbos? If they do I haven't seen it. Not cool if true.

Girl is fine.
Sadly, I've seen it. I just did a quick search of the Work & Emploment forums for the term "bimbo" and found 57 separate threads where the term had been used.

For example:

Women who speak in vocal fry perceived as incompetent...
Fool Me Once, Shame on on. Fool me Twice, shame on you. ("Another week passes, and their HR bimbo finally sets up an on-site interview.")
Bad job interview b/c of gaps in work history ("Some HR bimbo is going to see you have a gap and assume you were in jail or hiding a job where you got fired for setting the place on fire and give you no chance)
Ever been rude to an interviewer? ("The on-site was just more of the same, with the HR bimbo "forgetting" to give me some paperwork I should have had")
Would it be better for the hiring manager if human resources wasn't a part of the hiring decision? ("A hiring manager making six figs plus needs those HR bimbos to weed out the 950 applications that would be of no interest to him.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 04:47 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,063,241 times
Maybe people should start referring to adult males as "boys" or S.O.B's???

Anyone who believes it's okay to refer to a grown woman as a "girl" shows issues with females.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:30 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,073,553 times
Regarding the original question: No, do not approach HR directly. You submitted your resume; if your qualifications/experience are in line with the opening, you will be contacted.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:02 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,765,180 times
Someone called me "girl" once. Once.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,045,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Maybe people should start referring to adult males as "boys" or S.O.B's???

Anyone who believes it's okay to refer to a grown woman as a "girl" shows issues with females.

I'm 42 and I'm a boy. It means male. Never thought twice about it and never will. I also have a girlfriend, not a womanfriend, but a girlfriend, she's 37 and seems to like the term.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 AM

928 posts, read 1,103,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
. For higher level positions I could see this being perceived in a negative light, but it is impossible to say for sure how all people will react because everyone is different. And that alone is reason enough to try I think. Maybe I need to return to my roots.

Yeah, ideally I'd like to reach out to the decision maker, but HR is the next best thing. Actually, I might just try and navigate my way to the hiring managers office, or at least stop by the school to see if I can get some information. It's a college, so it's not like I have to pass through security or anything.
Now you are thinking. You are taking initiative which already sets you apart from the other 100 applicants. Prepare a good elevator pitch for yourself in case you encounter the hiring manager. However, if I were you, I would find their e-mail and phone and send them your resume. You can say that you saw the job posting, you have applied already online but you are also sending your resume just in case. Express your interest in the job and tell them you will follow up in a few days by phone.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 AM

672 posts, read 791,126 times
You asked a question, you were given advice from several avenues. You didn't get the advice that you wanted to read, so you rejected what you were told from every angle.

So here is what I say:

Yes, you should go to the HR department directly, physically. You should find the girl to whom you spoke over the phone, and speak to this girl in person, point out to her why you would be more than perfect for the job, and if you can't find her, you should leave your resume on her desk along with a letter outlining how your skills fit the job. I think that would be the best way for you to go.

My apologies for pointing out something that you may not have thought about with age appropriate gender identification.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,334,854 times
"Yeah, ideally I'd like to reach out to the decision maker, but HR is the next best thing. Actually, I might just try and navigate my way to the hiring managers office, or at least stop by the school to see if I can get some information. It's a college, so it's not like I have to pass through security or anything."

They still have an HR office with a receptionist, who will ask if you have an appointment. They will not take kindly to you just wandering around seeing if you can find who you want to talk to.

I have worked at public and private universities for 25 years and hiring is typically done by consensus of a group of interviewers (for high level positions it is multiple groups of multiple interviewers) so speaking to the hiring manager won't get you anywhere.

Hiring processes are very regimented and are conducted in accordance with policy, and guidance from legal affairs and EEOC. We read EVERY resume that is submitted and, based on what you submitted, you either make the cut or you don't. Stopping by isn't going to change anything. If you do, you will be told that we have received your resume and nothing more. You will not be viewed as having initiative, or being a go-getter, or anything else positive.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,658,266 times
If we ran a job listing that stated we would begin reviewing applications by the end of July, and we got a phone call from someone the first week in August asking about the process and wondering if we had begun reviewing yet, and then the person showed up leaving her resume wanting to be sure we got it, I would personally go through the stack of printed applications and pull that one out and put it in its own pile. So the op is correct in thinking that doing this would get her resume some attention so it would stand out from the other applications.

Then I would make a note somewhere in the database that we keep of all applications - not to hire this person as I fear she may be high maintenance. The op could apply for sixty more jobs and as soon as we checked our database, we would discount her due to this red flag. No company/school wants to hire someone who won't even give them a minute to do their job.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,526,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
That's just the thing. You can submit a resume, but what percentage of the time is it actually seen? I'd bet that percentage is pretty low. With such a high level of uncertainty, for me, it makes sense to do whatever possible to increase those chances. Whether it be calling in and dropping your name, or dropping your resume off yourself. People say traditional methods finding a job - such as submitting resumes online - are a black hole. So why so much disdain for trying something daring to get noticed? Of course I don't want to be too pesky, but I do want to stand out. If there were a job you really wanted, one you were confident you could do well at, I don't see how one could just submit a resume and walk away.

If they passed on my resume. What harm would there be in going there and trying anyway?
sounds like you don't want to take anyone's advice and you want to stalk the HR team. That's dumb. You already said you followed up after you submitted your resume.

You know how you get your resume noticed? You have a good resume that matches up to the key words in the open position you applied for. And you write a good cover letter that points out how you match up to those job requirements.

When I submit resumes, I get approx 50% call back rate. Based on my experience, there isn't a black hole. They key here is to submit to jobs that you are a good match for(you meet the experience and eduation they are looking for.).

Stalking them WILL get you noticed. Just not the way you are expecting. They'll write you off as someone that is bothersome and needs to be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment