Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,804,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Or maybe the OP has a career that they admire from reading her profile and wish to connect with her in order to seek out advice on where's a good place to start building that career?
Also true, especially when so many of these college students the OP's whining about are being told by professionals to "Network! Network! Network!" in order to land the job they want. That's what LinkedIn is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,776,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
The only way to Message a LinkedIn user is to add them to your connections. I added someone I did not know once so I could message him. He was an alumni of my school, we had a few connections in common, and he was employed by the ad agency of my DREAMS: Leo Burnett.

We chatted a few times via message about what it was like at the agency, what he was working on, etc. He was not well connected with the Leo Burnett in NYC unfortunately, only Detroit and I was not looking to move there so although that opportunity went nowhere, that same guy is now in Richmond, VA (where I plan to be in the next year) working at The Martin Agency, another power house agency. So, I may hit him back up if I am in the market for a new position.

I would ignore friend requests unless they have connections in common with you, are alumni from your school, or a recruiter (and can offer potential opportunities down the road).

As a paid member you can message people without having them as a connection.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,762,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Also true, especially when so many of these college students the OP's whining about are being told by professionals to "Network! Network! Network!" in order to land the job they want. That's what LinkedIn is for.
I've had a few college students add me in order to ask me questions about the company I worked for or about how I wound up in a certain field because I had an unrelated degree and they wished to get to that field with the same unrelated degree. Not all of these college students are trying to get you to get them a job, but generally want to know what kind of qualities they should cultivate to get there. I'd feel pleased that they thought that highly of me to seek out a connection.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:47 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,857,854 times
When I was looking for a job some recruiters found my resume on linkedin. Also, on linkedin I was looking at companies where my friends & ex-colleagues were working & started applying there. Not all companies advertise on monster, career builder, etc. You need to go to their website to see job openings. Linkedin helped me find these companies. It also recommended other professionals in my field & where they worked so that helped a lot as well.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,804,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I've had a few college students add me in order to ask me questions about the company I worked for or about how I wound up in a certain field because I had an unrelated degree and they wished to get to that field with the same unrelated degree. Not all of these college students are trying to get you to get them a job, but generally want to know what kind of qualities they should cultivate to get there. I'd feel pleased that they thought that highly of me to seek out a connection.
And you never know. When these college students do this, they may eventually luck upon someone who takes a liking to them and will want to help them land a job.

But they'll never know if they're discouraged by folks like the OP.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,286,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
The only way to Message a LinkedIn user is to add them to your connections. I added someone I did not know once so I could message him. He was an alumni of my school, we had a few connections in common, and he was employed by the ad agency of my DREAMS: Leo Burnett.

Same here, it is often alumni that try to add me.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM

469 posts, read 640,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So true, colleges tell you that in order to compete you have to network any way you can or at least have an on line presence.

If you don't want to network or mentor the "BOOTOM FEEDERS" who reach out to you then deactivate your linkedIn.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,288,221 times
My old man is on LinkedIn, and they email me invitations all the time in his name, without his knowledge or consent, using his email address to do it. I don't trust any bunch that pulls that kind of sneaky stuff and will have nothing to do with them.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 PM

23,924 posts, read 24,505,972 times
It may be a joke for you, but I have landed two job opportunities through LinkedIn. My current gig came from a recruiter via LinkedIn.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM

734 posts, read 1,091,550 times
i tried to add one of my old supervisors but it kept asking me for her email address. i wanted to ask her if i could use her for a reference. i guess she has her settings set so that only people she work with now can add her.

it hasn't been useful at all for me, but i don't use it on a regular basis, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment