Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 03:16 AM

457 posts, read 646,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Some of it is economy, some of it is people getting worthless degrees, underemployment, and some of it is refusing to go where the work is. Lots of factors here.
Not always "refusing" but some of the people with degrees that could otherwise be useful, might be unable to go where the work is in their fields for reasons other than "flat out refusal." Yeah, some of us Native Americans "flat out refuse" to go try to get a job in our major fields in places like North or South DAKOTA whose governors have been recently on-record as saying "the only good ***** is a dead *****" and that's how places like Racist City, SD seem to feel IN GENERAL. Yeah we don't "wanna" go to the Mississippi of the North; that's not "refusal" it's "self-preservation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
If people with high degrees actually want to work menial jobs, they should leave off their high degree from their resume, so they don't appear too overqualified & don't get hired. Otherwise, the employer will either think:

A) the person won't work here long because they'll be onto something higher paying when it comes along
B) the person will demand a higher pay because they have the high degree(s)

C) Another thing they tend to think is that people with higher degrees, especially in the "brainy" fields like math, science, or law, actually can't do the work. That we studied Math because we can't do heavy lifting. Which, to some extent, might be true. However, some of us out here think that office data entry and typing constitute somewhat "menial" jobs too and we get ignored or turned down for that, too.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
You could do it online, but for legitimate online programs from real universities, it's not cheap - they usually charge a premium for online.

The last time I checked Johns Hopkins' online programs they cost about $16,000/year for an online graduate degree. Of course, I was looking at Biotech and not sociology.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:36 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,554,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
C) Another thing they tend to think is that people with higher degrees, especially in the "brainy" fields like math, science, or law, actually can't do the work. That we studied Math because we can't do heavy lifting. Which, to some extent, might be true. However, some of us out here think that office data entry and typing constitute somewhat "menial" jobs too and we get ignored or turned down for that, too.
not can't but won't. I've seen people think jobs are below them because they have a piece of paper that says "masters".

Look for the thread on someone not wanting to take out office trash because it was "below" them, and look where that got him.

Low-skilled jobs are often physically demanding, if someone with a degree wants to work them, does the employer think it might be "too" hard and since they have an option for a desk job, that they'll take it at the first chance? That would just increase turn over rate and increase his costs

Sure everyone might clean the toilets as lowest on the totem pole but will the person with the degree work his way up in restaurant skills to become an chef/owner later on? Or just take the office secretary job when one opens up? Even when both could pay the same, the college guy wants his suits and cubicle more than likely.

There isn't much "qualification" in doing low skilled jobs, so you can't be "over" qualified in my opinion. It's just how the company has to spin it so they can deny people who are most likely to jump jobs later on so they don't waste time/money on training someone that will only stay a few months. Unless you can convince them your degree will benefit them, IE degree is hospitality and you want to work way up to owning a chain restaurant or something. But try doing that with a STEM degree and it looks less likely. So I agree with @Forever blue

Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,627,979 times
Also, if you work for Starbucks, they pay for education... or so I have read. Maybe some of these workers started out there with a HS diploma or a BA/BS degree, then figured "Well, Starbucks offers online classes at ASU! Why not get my master's?! It might improve my chances elsewhere!" So they take online courses and get the degree.

Hey, Starbucks offers benefits. It doesn't seem like a bad gig. I looked at it, but they wanted some retail experience and I never worked in retail. Always library and office.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:57 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,831,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
The last time I checked Johns Hopkins' online programs they cost about $16,000/year for an online graduate degree. Of course, I was looking at Biotech and not sociology.
They are actually getting pretty significant into data science
https://www.coursera.org/specializat...udatascience/1

Old 12-27-2014, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are fine careers to be made with jobs that are not prestigious to society.

I've told this story before, but my former husband was doing carpentry work at a $million+ home. The owner would come home and watch him and seemed interested in his work, and my ex noticed this man was dressed like him--jeans, workboots, flannel shirt. One day he asked the guy what he did for a living. It turned out to be Rats. He had a vermin-control business and his clients were buildings on the docks in the NJ container ship port cities, as well as warehouses in the urban areas. Not pretty or prestigious, but he was living well.
This is so very true. So many people today are dreaming of posh modern jobs, sitting at their desks that pay good money. When a lot of money is to be made in occupations that have been around for ages. Of course you have to be willing to work hard too. So that is what I said also, even if I am a woman. Had I had to choose again I would want to become a carpenter. My cousin is banking making unique staff for people with money.
Oh and another think I wanted to add since I live in Europe. Apparently there is a big lack of knowledgeable professionals who are able to perform tasks that have outgrown because of the new techniques and materials. like perform roofing in oldfasional way, these knowledges have been forgotten because of the new techniques and materials, but today in tourism and a trend to a more natural way of living are in demand again. And they pay good for they are rear.

Last edited by Laluna36; 12-27-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 06:53 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,911 times
Masters and star bucks type work- I am not sure, however bachelor's degree and starbucks type work- yes, definitely yes.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:10 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,994 times
I've been turned down for grocery store positions and I have a GED. Explain that one if you have all the answers (which you don't). I learned that when a manager tells you "we will be calling you in a few days" it really means they are too coward to say they aren't hiring you.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:23 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,314 times
Amongst stories I've heard in person:
1) a friend who joined the navy saw a recruit who was a college professor. They lowered him to PT work, he couldn't afford to pay for his family on that lower wage, and joined the Navy to better make ends meet. Should give him some advantage being a professor, as the Navy does value education more.

2) Struck up a conversation with a mover. He asked about what brought me to move to the area, and I asked about his story as well.... He said he went through the police academy in CA, and when he passed, they offered him a job... in Waco, TX! No openings in his region in CA. He didn't want to move his family to TX, so he took on a job as a mover. Things should be better budget-wise now, but if he rejoins, he has to go through the academy again. A shame to see this, as from my perspective, he's bright, STRONG (AFAIK, usually there are 2 movers doing a job. However, it would've cost too much to contract a helper. He managed to dead lift a medium sized desk alone!), good character, and also speaks Spanish (which is nice, especially in CA).

I have to wonder if folks with Masters working at Starbucks are doing so while getting their PhD, or graduated and weathering the storm while they find better work. While I don't believe every Starbucks, or the majority of them are full of such folks, I would believe there's more than we'd like to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment