Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,609,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Even then, you have to write estimates, work orders and receipts. You have to order materials and pay bills. The suppliers and customers might have a tuff time reading these items if the words aren't spelled correctly.
If you are going to be a spelling police officer make sure you can spell yourself. It's spelled tough not tuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 AM

788 posts, read 1,251,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
If you are going to be a spelling police officer make sure you can spell yourself. It's spelled tough not tuff.
Ever heard of irony and sarcasm?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:50 AM

469 posts, read 638,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Spelling and grammar come into play at each job except electrician. Just a thought...

That was a good one, made me laugh. Just a little thought that crossed your mind and you figured you would just throw it out there for OP to consider. lol

Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 AM

217 posts, read 315,036 times
If i were to become a police officer, I'd want to be one in a small secluded town, not in a big metropolitan area where crime is rampant/gang territory.

I think that would be easy. Look at the movie " The Last Stand" ( other than 1 incident, seems like a pretty easy job)

Old 08-07-2014, 03:19 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,218,307 times
For the NYPD you need 60 college credits. There's lots of competition because of the salary increase and the recession in 07-08.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:34 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,474,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Spelling and grammar come into play at each job except electrician. Just a thought...
Tell that to my now-dead uncle. His electrician left a note "live currant" attached to a wire and my uncle reached for it thinking it was a berry that assured immortality!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM

212 posts, read 336,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
If you write tough as tuff, yes, becoming a police officer is hard. Becoming an accountant will be near impossible.
I disagree. All there is to accounting is legers and duble-entry accounting, right?

Old 08-07-2014, 06:53 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,862,761 times
In Mass we had the Quinn bill which provided economic incentives from the state and local governments to obtain an associates, bachelors and masters degrees. The state backed out (big mistake I think). As a result of the program there's far fewer civil rights complaints here then other areas. There is police academy training but it still looks better to have a degree even if it is only the town paying.

I think that being a cop now vs the past is quite a bit different. Technology can help obviously but also hurt. If you made a mistake during an arrest in say the 50's it might reach the papers but that's it. Now with cellphones with cameras everywhere it will hit the news and will probably get a backlash to reach a mayor and eventually yourself. So while it is true police jobs might not require a degree frankly it helps because it lowers the amount of potential mistakes.

Quinn Bill - FAQ

Crime in itself has gone down but of course there's still trouble areas. Some have other expectations of police that tend to go a bit beyond local enforcement (immigration for starters). I would argue at any point I could easily find 100 openings nationwide for police jobs that are just sitting there. Some of the image has to really change to just getting back to the basics of local law enforcement. Not accepting excess military equipment, not making huge swat teams, not kafkaesque policies etc.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM

42,024 posts, read 75,450,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Try to follow along, would you?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,679,839 times
Ask yourself these questions.

Do I like being on my toes all day or do I prefer a desk job?

Do I have a desire to enforce laws and protect others at the risk of my own life and safety?

Is it important for me to have a steady paycheck and benefits or am I okay making much money one week and none the next?

Accountants, not to be confused with bookkeepers, obtain a CPA and often work for big accounting firms or financial service companies. They often obtain an MBA while working their first accounting job. Lots of office politics. In private practice, need to build a clientele and gain the trust and reputation through client relationships.

Many police officers in Massachusetts have at least an associates or B.A. in criminal justice.

An electrician usually learns at the high school level or in trade school. Usually needs to work under another electrician before going out on their own.

Was there any reason you selected these three jobs. I suspect they made the top of your list based on perceived demand, not your interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment