Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
She would have had to pay a babysitter to watch the kids so she could go to school. I guess she doesn't know about the programs that would help her, so she could get a better job.

Who told her to have 4 kids? She made very poor choices and now it's McDonalds fault?

Awhile back "60 Minutes" did a piece on a man who was Latino who was born I believe in Mexico who started off working as a minimum wage worker at McDonalds and now owns a couple of their franchises in CT.

I'm no fan of big corporations, but this is a case of someone who in 10 yrs could have gone to school just taking one or two classes a semester and done something to advance themselves. She could have become a CNA, worked up to being a LPN.

And again, no one told to keep having kids you can't afford to take care of.

Should we start off fast food workers at $20 an hour. These jobs are not meant to be able to support a family on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
So what?

Who are you, the paternity police? It's not your business who anyone else has kids with. Sheesh!

It's WAY more entitled to think you get to pass judgement on someone else's personal choices than it is to want to be paid a living wage for one's labor.

It is my business when I'm paying for it. I guarantee with 4 kids she is getting welfare and food stamps.

I have no issue with people who find themselves down on their luck for example due to job loss and needing assistance. I do take issue with people having kids they can't afford and expecting the taxpayer to foot the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,621,303 times
Cry me a river lady. You're decisions in life have led you to this.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,189,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'm still amused how McDonalds showed a sample budget of how to make ends meet, which included income from a second job.

Well, they could afford those things while living in a dinky studio apartment in less appealing part of town.
I interpreted the second job as income from a significant other or rommate. I guess they did make the silly mistake of thinking that an adult working at McDonald's would be living with someone else though.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,775,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Don't believe any of this.
Don't believe any of what?

Was there something in the OP that wasn't factual?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,010,409 times
I think people as a whole completely miss the point when they read about this push for living wages in fast food occupations.

Is it that in the past it was a concern? No. Is it because they aren't intended to be used to support a family? No. Is it because people should be trying to do something better? No. Is it because they should be paying a living wage? No.

It's because the jobs these people would have been working at that did pay a living wage are largely gone.

The unskilled jobs that one could support a family on are gone. And now, with those jobs gone, people are falling into entry level positions at McDonald's. And now you have people trying to support a family on jobs that traditionally went to high school kids, or at a minimum people who didn't really expect to make a living wage working there.

So now, in a way, McDonald's is stuck holding the bag when it comes to the erosion of the working class (not the middle class). And don't take that as sympathy for McDonald's, but it's true: 30 or 40 years ago people that had 4 kids would be doing something else, like working on an assembly line, being in the union, and getting benefits.

That being said, I would think with that kind of experience - even McDonald's experience - that she could move into a role that even if it doesn't immediately pay more would have more of an opportunity for upward mobility. I would be impressed with someone who could stick it out at McDonald's for 10 years.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,010,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The McDonalds Corporation CEO makes just above $11mm in salary
I'm not going to bother looking that up, but likely the article is referring to combined payment vs. strictly salary.

It's not uncommon for a CEO's compensation to be made up of a large portion of non-salary items, like stock or options.

And if you think those don't "count," ask yourself the last time a job you worked at paid you double your salary in stock that will likely be taxed at a lower rate than your wages would have and, conversely, if there does happen to be a loss, that you can write off against your taxes (should you decide to sell and take said loss).

Or, in simpler terms: We'll pay you $50,000 a year, plus we'll give you $50,000 in gold that is easily convertible to cash. Would you say that person only made $50,000 a year? Of course not.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,234,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
And if you think those don't "count," ask yourself the last time a job you worked at paid you double your salary in stock that will likely be taxed at a lower rate than your wages would have and, conversely, if there does happen to be a loss, that you can write off against your taxes (should you decide to sell and take said loss).
Last year. And a few years prior. Incentive programs are perks.

This CEO is paying his interns $20/hour. Interns are the lowest paid at the company. That's live-able for an intern.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,234,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Don't believe any of what?

Was there something in the OP that wasn't factual?
The message. The McDonalds CEO pays his employees a reasonable wage/salary.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 AM

10,349 posts, read 14,041,598 times
[quote=mizzile;35884867]So, are you lining up to help her pay for birth control? Or abortions? No? Didn't think so. Are you lining up to pass judgment on the dads of all those kids? No? Just for the mom then? No sweeping condemnations of the random dudes who impregnated her and who aren't around to take care of their kids? It's only her fault she has to work a minimum wage job to support her kids? No men are at fault here? OK, I get the

I am not condoning the men's behavior who got her pregnant. Nice try, this is not a feminist issue, it's called taking some responsibility for your actions. And as far as paying for birth control and abortions, last time I checked not having sex was free and guaranteed you wouldn't get pregnant.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM

769 posts, read 979,436 times
She is here in Charleston. I would LOVE to know which one she works at so I could go in there and see WHY. Bet there are reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment