Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,405,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm not dressed for success and no brokerage firm would take me seriously.
If that is the only thing that is keeping you from completing your goal then do what you have to do to make it happen. You can find some very nice clothes at a second hand store. I know. I have suits that cost me less than $20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,420,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Apparently liberals think that any job (because yes, soldiers do "work") that they don't agree with is welfare.
I've uttered no such comment ever.

Apparently right-wingers write the book on what liberals think.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,781,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
She wanted a car and her mom, who also worked at Denny's could not ever afford to get her a car. This girl started working at Denny's when she was 16 years old. She learned that business from the ground up. Some how she found out that Denny's owned another couple chains and had a couple very low performing locations. She was able at a very young age to get a job running one of those locations. She ended up taking it over as an owner and did very well for herself....
Dawn Lafreeda. Who also purchased her first two stores on credit cards at age 24. And purchased four more stores on credit in her first year in business. I'm sure this had nothing to do with her mom being the Denny's district manager for her region. Yes, she worked hard and did a great deal with that work, but someone working equally hard as her who does not have several hundred thousand in revolving credit at age 24 and direct connections to national franchise decision makers is not going to have the same outcome.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:22 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,420,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Yes, what's your point? If you want to get out of poverty you will do what it takes.
No, poverty is a temporarily occuring thing. Most people don't stay in poverty. If we let Republicans stay in office, they will ensure that those that are poor will remain poor.

Poverty is cyclical; it mirrors business cycles. Increasing wages for low income folks (raising the minimum wage) and growing the economy will alleviate poverty. "Individual choice" ignores the reality that many people who are poor are temporarily poor through no fault of their own.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 PM

522 posts, read 723,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
What you are implying is that these people succeeded purely because of hard work.
That there was no luck, no unusual merits and no unusual advantages involved in the success of these people.
That a person with no lucky break, no exceptional talents, and no socioeconomic advantages will succeed purely through their hard work. That is why people keep pointing out that each and every one of your examples involves some exceptional talent, lucky break, or pre-existing socioeconomic advantage. You cannot and will not succeed from hard work alone, and anyone selling that story is making money off the hard work of others.
Speak for yourself.
If one is inept in putting themselves into the "advantage" area, it is one's fault.

People like you make me very sad that there is no negative adjustment to karma on this board, i'd neg you into oblivion (MISCERS?!)

My family and I moved to US 10 years ago.
after paying all that needed to be paid to get a chance to escape the ****hole of a world we lived in, we had roughly $500 to our names.

Yes, I didn't get a chance to go to college; I had to get a fulltime job as soon as I could; before then I was juggling Highschool, and 3-5 PT jobs.
I learned from my dad - we both worked our assess off to build our life here.

I'm not saying we're swimming in money now, but we're doing alright for ourselves; and much, much better than we would have, and better than many whom we've met on the way.

You know what our "exceptional talent" was?
Common sense, logic, and hard work.
Lucky break? We went knocking on doors, sending in resumes, looking to meet new people and build our network.

Anyone who says that the hard work doesn't pay off is full of it, and is simply looking for something to blame for not doing well.
/rant

Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, poverty is a temporarily occuring thing. Most people don't stay in poverty. If we let Republicans stay in office, they will ensure that those that are poor will remain poor.

Poverty is cyclical; it mirrors business cycles. Increasing wages for low income folks (raising the minimum wage) and growing the economy will alleviate poverty. "Individual choice" ignores the reality that many people who are poor are temporarily poor through no fault of their own.
It is not the Republicans that want people to remain in poverty. That distinction goes to the Democrats. Tell me one thing that a Democrat has done to get someone out of poverty?

Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,503,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
She is also 27 and has four kids. I would bet money it's not with the same man.

In 10 yrs she could have earned a degree even going to school part time and have a much better job. Instead of popping out kids.

Talk about an entitlement mentality.
THIS. ^

Go get a vocational or associate degree. Heck, some associate degree jobs are starting at 50-60k and are in high demand. (Welding, Nursing, Medical Tech, etc). The min. wage jobs at McDonald's should not be your life long career goals. There's really no excuse to not work towards a degree, especially in 10 years. At the very least you can probably end up in an Administrative or Customer support position making $15-20 an hour. An associate's degree or certificate would also make you more marketable for industrial/factory positions that also typically pay $15-20 a hour.

Last edited by the_grimace; 08-06-2014 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 01:38 PM

522 posts, read 723,782 times
^^ this!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:02 PM

Here is my story.

I came from a home with 8 kids. I am the second of those 8. My parents did not have the money to send me to school or give me the things that I wanted. If we wanted something we had to earn it. That is just how life was. I started working when I was 12 mowing yards. I was good at that from taking care of my parents yard. I was also good at babysitting and did a lot of that at 12 as well. I washed cars, cleaned peoples yards, garages or anything else they needed. Although I had a bike as a kid I wanted a new bike. I was able to trade some work for an older bike that I stripped and bought all new parts for. I built the bike that I wanted. It was a beach cruser when those were just starting to come back in style. Eventually I found that I could have anything if I saved up for it. I could do anything if I learned how to do it.

One of the people I worked for, meaning i babysat their kids, washed their cars, took care of their lawn, happened to have access to a Mooney 201 airplane. I still love that plane. Mooney is an amazing aircraft. I started flying on the weekends after getting done with my work. Yes it was a connection, but we can all develop them. I started hanging out at two of the local airports. That took me to washing airplanes which lead me to a contract washing a couple of Convair 440's. They like to leak oil on the wing and airframe so needed constant cleaning. In the process I leaned to fly and was able to save up for my first airplane. While all the above was happening I built a customer base of others that I did the same for during my early years. I never worked fast food because I always had an income from all these "side jobs" Yes tax free. LOL

Because of the airplane washing work I found people that also had boats that needed cleaning. I ended up doing that as well. I found a little sabbot that I was able to buy for $100 that I used to sail around the harbor with. One of the people I worked for let me keep it tied to the end of their boat. I had a boat and an airplane before I had a car. I did buy my first car when I was 18. It was a 1971 Olds Cutless. A hot rod really. I loved that car. Paid cash for it. All this work lead me to get offers from people that wanted me to work for them. My first job with a check where they take out taxes, was with a man that was taking apart a building on a local Navy base. He was building a storage yard with the materials. He also had a lot where he sold surplus Navy pickup trucks. I worked for him on that lot. Another family I worked for had a plumbing company and he offered me a better opportunity. I learned a trade in the process and my side work took a second place to my real job. LOL The idea was that over time the business would expand and I would have the chance to be a partner in it. It was an old business with a second owner. I worked their for a few years before deciding that I wanted to do some other things.

I ended up becoming a locksmith with the idea of opening up my own company. I worked for that company for 5 years and found the hosptal needed a locksmith. I started working here in 1998 and love it. In 2000 I was talking to our CEO and asked what it would take to move up. He suggested going back to school and getting my degree. By 2008 I not only had my Bachelor in Business Management but my Masters In Business Administration. Since that time my career has taken off. My wife and I have also started our own business. We are doing well there and have started looking at purchasing rental properties in the area and in the Phoenix Metro area.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:30 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,006,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

This is a good streak. 38 pages on the forum before someone brought up politics on a topic that really has nothing to do with politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment