Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 PM

10,995 posts, read 20,644,477 times

Advertisements

My daughter told me that a sign of a failing company is the departure of the CFO for reasons other than death or serious illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:14 AM

618 posts, read 943,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post
I would go step-by-step:

- Is it doable at all(do you have enough experience and time to do it), if "yes",
- how big/difficult/time critical this project is, depending on this,
- how much you would like to be paid(hourly or for a project).

Keep in mind, they probably well aware by now in WHAT they are swimming and may be reasonable in regards to compensation to fix the problem.

It may require from you heavy work on evenings/weekends, but if you could keep both jobs it may be rewarding in several ways.
I am going to give him a call and see what the time table is on closing 2013. If it is not a normal work schedule, there is no point in discussing further.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 AM

788 posts, read 1,252,625 times
It seems that you need to give more information. What exactly is the position? Are you the CFO, or the accountant? The controller, was he there when the mess was created, or did he come in after that? If he was the controller when the mess was created, and you have to report to him, run! As hard as you can away from this company. If he allowed this to happen under his supervision he is unqualified for the job and will not be able to train you and supervise you.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,714,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
It seems that you need to give more information. What exactly is the position? Are you the CFO, or the accountant? The controller, was he there when the mess was created, or did he come in after that? If he was the controller when the mess was created, and you have to report to him, run! As hard as you can away from this company. If he allowed this to happen under his supervision he is unqualified for the job and will not be able to train you and supervise you.
Per the first post
Quote:
They can not close 2013 because the previous accountant who was out of school did not finish and / or screwed up the bank recs. A few other accounts are not finished yet. They need someone to come in, close 2013, continue with 2014 and once that is accomplished create better ways of doing things. It is a small department with the Controller, this vacated position and that is it.
It sounds to me like the poster is an accountant, and depending on how long he/she has been doing this job, he may be in over his head.

I'm also wondering if the op is still in school, given the fact that school was referenced when discussing the previous accountant.

I'm all for walking into problems. I've done it twice and I thrive in that environment. But I'm not in accounting and if accrual is harder to sift through, which is the impression I'm getting from those in the field, then I would take their advice and pass.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 AM

469 posts, read 639,423 times
There may be embezzlement going on in the company and specific correlating data that is needed to close 2013 is "missing" or doesn't exist and that is why it cannot be completed.

Sounds like the previous people who have tried to resolve the issue figure out what is going on and go to lunch and never come back.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 AM

618 posts, read 943,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Per the first post

It sounds to me like the poster is an accountant, and depending on how long he/she has been doing this job, he may be in over his head.

I'm also wondering if the op is still in school, given the fact that school was referenced when discussing the previous accountant.

I'm all for walking into problems. I've done it twice and I thrive in that environment. But I'm not in accounting and if accrual is harder to sift through, which is the impression I'm getting from those in the field, then I would take their advice and pass.

This is for a senior role. They never really explained why a college kid was doing the work. I am assuming that the controller did some of the work that the new role will be doing.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,914,090 times
If you have the ability to take the challenge and get the job done, if the money is good and you need both it and a job then what's the problem?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:54 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,780,981 times
I was in cleanup mode before with a financial business. They let me go after a couple of months because I wasn't moving fast enough.

Find another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment