Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:06 PM

818 posts, read 1,018,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would think they need professional help....
That is what I am thinking but not sure yet. Truth is stranger than fiction.

It could be to create tension, drama etc. That is what some people seem to "enjoy" mental illness or not. Hard to trust these types.

It seems many govt. workers are quite delusional but there may be something true here with big bro maturing and all that nonsense. It takes a certain kind to do what many of them do.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 07-23-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM

818 posts, read 1,018,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
all the time.
Care to elaborate? The last thing America needs is for its citizens and workers of it's government to be paranoid about being watched. I understand it may be happening for the safety of its people. Seems mostly "lefties" are the ones who paranoid about these things.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,238,405 times
They're tapping everyone, not just those with security clearances; remember Edward Snowden? Never heard of anyone being harassed for having a clearance, though. Unless you count investigators asking snoopy questions of everyone you ever knew, which comes with the territory.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 AM

534 posts, read 1,172,118 times
In the federal government, it takes an official criminal investigation by a law enforcement agency and a court order from a federal judge to get a "wiretap." I'm guessing there may be exceptions in high-security agencies like the NSA and CIA: they may play by their own rules, but they also usually don't prosecute people in court for what they find. They do it to safeguard intel, and that doesn't rise to the same level of requiring probable cause for a criminal investigation. They're also a VERY small percentage of the government.

As far as e-mail, when a government employee uses a government-owned computer, they give up all privacy rights. This is either via an annual computer-use agreement which they sign or via a login banner. That doesn't mean someone is always reading your mail. No agency has the time or resources to do that.

I have never met another government employee who has had their phone "tapped." If someone believes that this is being done to them (and they don't work in a heavily-armored room at the NSA), I would wager it's based more on paranoia than anything else.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
In the federal government, it takes an official criminal investigation by a law enforcement agency and a court order from a federal judge to get a "wiretap." I'm guessing there may be exceptions in high-security agencies like the NSA and CIA: they may play by their own rules, but they also usually don't prosecute people in court for what they find. They do it to safeguard intel, and that doesn't rise to the same level of requiring probable cause for a criminal investigation. They're also a VERY small percentage of the government.

As far as e-mail, when a government employee uses a government-owned computer, they give up all privacy rights. This is either via an annual computer-use agreement which they sign or via a login banner. That doesn't mean someone is always reading your mail. No agency has the time or resources to do that.

I have never met another government employee who has had their phone "tapped." If someone believes that this is being done to them (and they don't work in a heavily-armored room at the NSA), I would wager it's based more on paranoia than anything else.
All this.

The reason they do background checks is so they don't have to constantly monitor everyone's every move. In most of the most highly secured areas, it's very easy to walk out with classfied information--they don't frisk you as you walk out the vault.

Note, I said "monitor." Obviously--to anyone who understands even the basics--whatever you do on a network is recorded and ultimately traceable. And they don't need a court order to record conversations in their own systems--they only need to warn you that the can and may.

If you give them a reason to start monitoring you, they can. But normally, that takes activity on your part, such as bragging to your workmates about a huge degree of ostentatious spending or a sudden serioiusly negative change in behavior. If you give them a reason to start checking, they check everything.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 AM

741 posts, read 916,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
The government has more to do than...
The "they have better stuff to do" narrative has consistently proven to be false basically every time its ever cited to explain away someone perceived to be 'paranoid'.

With 100% consistency, it will eventually be shown that while they may have had 'better stuff to be doing' in theory, they were nevertheless doing exactly what they were accused of doing in terms of surveiling people.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 AM

741 posts, read 916,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
They're tapping everyone, not just those with security clearances; remember Edward Snowden? Never heard of anyone being harassed for having a clearance, though. Unless you count investigators asking snoopy questions of everyone you ever knew, which comes with the territory.
Just like how 9/11 changed the national security apparatus in every imaginable way, I think its a pretty safe bet that Snowden is responsible for radically changing internal policies of how they monitor people with security clearances. Its not something they're going to announce to the public but its something you can safely bet your childrens life on and not have to worry about being wrong.

It must be a total nightmare to be a part of that world.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:16 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,425,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What do you think about someone who has a security clearance who insists their phones are tapped and they are constantly being harassed for no reason? Have you known someone or experienced this? Eavesdropping, bugs, harassment, lack of privacy etc. Is this stuff real? Do they have nothing better to do to people that are harmless? Is it just paranoia?

I understand you may be hesitant to answer if you know something.
I think this person thinks they are way more important than what they really are. A security clearance is really no big deal at all, many, many people currently have, or had one before.

And no, no one spies on someone with a clearance just because they have a clearance, absolutely a ridiculous claim.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,698,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What do you think about someone who has a security clearance who insists their phones are tapped and they are constantly being harassed for no reason? Have you known someone or experienced this? Eavesdropping, bugs, harassment, lack of privacy etc. Is this stuff real? Do they have nothing better to do to people that are harmless? Is it just paranoia?

I understand you may be hesitant to answer if you know something.
Yes, it sounds like paranoia. Lots of people have a security clearance and it's really no big deal.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,713,141 times
I don't get it. a person with a security clearance satisfied the govt with a background that was satisfactory, so why would someone harrass them? its not like the SC means one has money or something to hide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment