Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:02 PM

195 posts, read 177,758 times

Advertisements

I interpreted "air of superiority" as snobbish behavior. I don't think most people reading the OP would condemn people for being successful, I sure wouldn't, quite the opposite in fact.

Some people just like wearing their success and/or pedigree on their sleeves (or faking it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 01:08 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
How the hell do you know how much they made or how they budgeted?

My friends and some coworkers assume I make about 50% of what I actually do.
I am FINE with that assumption and do or say nothing to disabuse them of this.

Sometimes I am sure that a purchase I make or a vacation I take makes them question the math, but I am fine with that, too.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I don't know about snob but it is obvious all the work values I grew up with no longer exist.

I remember the late 50's (yeah, I am that old) and early 60's when the very highest thing a man could aspire to be was a scientist or engineer and if you were involved in the space program you were at the top of the heap.

In 1961 if you had asked most any of us if we wanted to be a billionaire or scientist/astronaut nearly all of us would have jumped at being a scientist/astronaut.

While money was important back then I do not remember it being the main driving force to the extent it appears to be today.

Maybe I am wrong but today it appears to be more about the money and flash that goes with it.
That is because no one has respect for true professions anymore. You know, the ones where you have to study hard and contribute to society.

Better you be some worthless thug rapper pulling in millions or a guy who can catch a football for $200k a game.

Celebrity is cool. Poindexter ain't.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Many of the kids who grew up in the area in which I live, fall into this category. They're subsidized by mom and dad, some living on the gold coast, a couple of them even living in Trump Tower, and they walk around like they've made it because they don't tell anyone they're being subsidized. I know because I know their parents who are quite open about it. The air of superiority comes from having material things most adults don't have. It doesn't matter to them how they got it, the bottom line is, they have it.

You must have given off some kind of "I've got money" vibe otherwise you wouldn't have gotten a second look from any of them.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
You're showing a lot of scorn for people you really don't know any better than they knew you. They went to Ivy League schools and you didn't. They might have lower-paying jobs than you do, but perhaps they are free to indulge careers in fashion or retail because they had an income stream of inheritance money to use for luxury cars or homes. That's not against the law, even if you disapprove.

I'm not saying that no rich people have entitlement issues. Almost every day I, too, see people who are, as they say, born on third base and acting like they hit a triple. But I also see another form of entitlement: people who paid their own way and think they deserve a medal for it. I'm one of them myself but I don't think that makes me better than people who came by their possessions and their status easier than I came by mine. I also don't think I'm better than people who started out their lives the way I did but who failed to progress beyond meager beginnings. That's another kind a scorn I see a lot of here on C-D.

You say you have a good job, a nice home, and toys. Enjoy them and stop worrying about how other people got theirs. Your annoyance with people you make assumptions about is unbecoming and reads a bit like jealousy.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Jukesgrrl, in defense of the op, he did say they had an air of superiority, which is enough to turn most stomachs.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:40 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I don't know about snob but it is obvious all the work values I grew up with no longer exist.

I remember the late 50's (yeah, I am that old) and early 60's when the very highest thing a man could aspire to be was a scientist or engineer and if you were involved in the space program you were at the top of the heap.

In 1961 if you had asked most any of us if we wanted to be a billionaire or scientist/astronaut nearly all of us would have jumped at being a scientist/astronaut.

While money was important back then I do not remember it being the main driving force to the extent it appears to be today.

Maybe I am wrong but today it appears to be more about the money and flash that goes with it.
Pardon me Nicet4, I too am that old and recall the 50's. Not everyone thought being a scientist/astronaut was man's highest calling . . . I, for one, wanted to be a cowboy!

Old 07-19-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Jukesgrrl, in defense of the op, he did say they had an air of superiority, which is enough to turn most stomachs.
His OPINION of an air of superiority. Some people think if you use big words or use a fork that you're putting on airs.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:51 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,155 times
If they are anywhere near DC, they probably have trust funds. At lot of confidence comes from not having to worry about money and knowing you can afford what your "social set" considers a "reasonable" lifestyle.\

Old 07-19-2014, 02:56 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Pardon me Nicet4, I too am that old and recall the 50's. Not everyone thought being a scientist/astronaut was man's highest calling . . . I, for one, wanted to be a cowboy!
Cowboy was third down my list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment