Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,089 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
I would like to talk to medicalcoders or people who hire them about the profession. I am interested inbecoming a coder and I would like to get advice from people in that field. Isit easy or hard to get a job in that profession? Are there any good coursesthat I can take? Should I be certified as a coder or not? Is there a largedemand in the field or is that just hype? How do you find employment in thefield? Any information would be most helpful and appreciated.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Thanks.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,660,485 times
You might look up some of the websites of the professional associations. Here's one. I'll bet there are others.

AHIMA Home - American Health Information Management Association

What is medical coding? (article)

http://www.aapc.com/medical-coding/medical-coding.aspx

Average pay for medical coders by state:

http://salarybystate.org/tag/average...ical-coders-in

Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,867,087 times
I wonder how the transition to ICD-10 will affect job prospects. Anyway, I know a CRC/RN that does it on the side and makes good money, though it is boring work.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,089 times
Thank you Meemur and nifear for the tips and information. The advice and information will very helpful.
redrum1237

Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 PM

16 posts, read 15,198 times
I am a Certified Coder I wouldn't say it's boring, it's like a puzzle and to me it's fascinating. I wanted something in healthcare where I wouldn't have to deal with patients.
Yes coding can be a good career, but in many cases you won't find an actual coding job right out of college. I got lucky and did, and it does happen, especially if you network. But most have to start out at jobs like front desk, insurance, payment poster, etc. to get their foot in the door. Once they prove they are trustworthy and start helping in coding, most get promoted into coding positions.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:13 AM

240 posts, read 453,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
I wonder how the transition to ICD-10 will affect job prospects. Anyway, I know a CRC/RN that does it on the side and makes good money, though it is boring work.
Do you think health information jobs are given to RN's over non-RN's?

Old 02-13-2016, 06:55 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,837,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum1237 View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
I would like to talk to medicalcoders or people who hire them about the profession. I am interested inbecoming a coder and I would like to get advice from people in that field. Isit easy or hard to get a job in that profession? Are there any good coursesthat I can take? Should I be certified as a coder or not? Is there a largedemand in the field or is that just hype? How do you find employment in thefield? Any information would be most helpful and appreciated.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Thanks.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
I learned that many of those "Coding Schools" aren't what they are. Look for reputable ones and always look for those which have standing in the community.

Oh and also consider "Volunteering" at some hospitals. That's one sure way to "Get Noticed" when the choices HR will make help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment