Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 AM
acw acw started this thread

72 posts, read 73,262 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

Been going round and round about Trucking and what it would be like to get involved with this "lifestyle" / career.

My Biggest concern is the lifestyle.

1. Loneliness
2. Socializing with other truckers?

I don't know much about the field.

Anyone know about this field and what its like to work as a trucker?

Not too many jobs out there (i've been in sales for 20yrs) and few and far between good sales jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 10:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
If you do not want to give up your social life, family gatherings, holidays, taking a shower in your own home all the time, uninterrupted sleep, crap food all the time not just part of the time, being alone all the time, boredom, and dispatchers who are directionally challenged do not get into the trucking business.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Boredom....?
Not sure it would be boring. Driving to different parts of the country is kewl. But, i guess after 1-2 yrs of that, it might get old.

Its the isolation that i'm having a problem with. You are alone in the cab all day.

I guess the pluses would be
-traveling
-seeing the country
-job security

Maybe i need to do a PROS and CONS list?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,476 times
I'm practically a hermit anyway, so the lack of socialization wouldn't bother me one bit.

I've considered trucking, but what turns me away more than anything is the lack of exercise. I know with a sedentary office job, that is a problem as well, but at least you can work out at a gym after work. When you're on the road all the time, eating and sleeping at truck stops, there's no place for you to exercise besides maybe wandering around the parking lot. Also, I've read that the food at truck stops is greasy garbage for the most part.

I don't want to die of a heart attack in my 40s or 50s.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:23 AM

@stat.
yep...that's a negative for me too.
Although, i've heard of some truckers who bring a set of dumbells with them and do their routines OTR.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:23 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,745,280 times
acw,

I think it could work, as long as you don't fall for the advice given above so far. You can eat healthy anywhere, you can also exercise at rest areas, just do some light jogging/pushups/situps etc.

If you are fine with the journeyman lifestyle you could make some decent money. Without degrees truckers do not make that much starting off, but after a few years you could be making 65-70k/yr, and for someone without (hell, even with) a degree that is good in these tough times.

Why not give it a go? If you have nothing else going on at the moment, go sign up and take the driving test to see if you have what it takes.

Personally, I'm probably not the best big rig driver around, so I wouldn't be any good at it (I'm accustom to driving small fast vehicles, not large slow ones).

Old 06-29-2014, 12:01 PM

@MJ7

...so what are you driving MJ?

Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw View Post
@MJ7

...so what are you driving MJ?
I'll just keep it at a 2 seat sports car, with enough ponies to fill my thrill.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'll just keep it at a 2 seat sports car, with enough ponies to fill my thrill.
Oh....lol Ok.

So you aren't a Commercial Driver....sorry for the question. Thought you were a driver.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:16 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw View Post
Oh....lol Ok.

So you aren't a Commercial Driver....sorry for the question. Thought you were a driver.
No, I am not a CDL driver, although I do know someone that is. I'm soon to embark on a career that is a journeyman lifestyle, but not with hours on the road like a trucker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment