Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 04:08 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,645,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
give sports massage for 60.00 hr

work 4 days a week

And you still have to build a book of business or you pay someone else a good portion of your hourly rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I will add to this, the major wirehouses Morgan, Merrill and UBS pay base salaries for 2-3 years. During this time you are paid commission as well once you get your licensing taken care of. The series 7 is the first test and if you fail you're fired, after that it's the series 66 or 63/65(you get two attempts here and then fired) insurance licensing and possible the series 31 or 3 depending on your business mix but these would probably come years down the road. At any time in these 2-3 years if you aren't meeting min performance standards you will get termed. Usually between years 2 and 3 your salary starts to decline monthly until you are 100% commission. The failure rate in the business is somewhere near 85-90% through the first 3 years
Exactly. An old buddy of mine from back home is a financial planner, but he's been in the business for nearly thirty years and many of his clients are older, HNW, and not tech-savvy. They pay him for information.

I work at a firm where many employees (mostly younger) are into investing and such matters, and I can't think of one who has explicitly stated they use a financial planner. Many people can do well-enough on their own now.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:59 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,177,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Exactly. An old buddy of mine from back home is a financial planner, but he's been in the business for nearly thirty years and many of his clients are older, HNW, and not tech-savvy. They pay him for information.

I work at a firm where many employees (mostly younger) are into investing and such matters, and I can't think of one who has explicitly stated they use a financial planner. Many people can do well-enough on their own now.
Yup, Vanguard ETFs that track the market with expense ratios of less than .10% are much better than a mutual fund that a financial advisor would recommend that does the same thing with an expense ration of 1.2%.

The only reason to use a financial advisor is if you literally know nothing about the market and/or you are scared of what you might do in the market. For example, if we get a 10% correction and you are scared you would pull out, having someone with "expertise" can sometimes help you avoid that mistake.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:00 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,778,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I will add to this, the major wirehouses Morgan, Merrill and UBS pay base salaries for 2-3 years. During this time you are paid commission as well once you get your licensing taken care of. The series 7 is the first test and if you fail you're fired, after that it's the series 66 or 63/65(you get two attempts here and then fired) insurance licensing and possible the series 31 or 3 depending on your business mix but these would probably come years down the road. At any time in these 2-3 years if you aren't meeting min performance standards you will get termed. Usually between years 2 and 3 your salary starts to decline monthly until you are 100% commission. The failure rate in the business is somewhere near 85-90% through the first 3 years
This post is the most informative in my opinion in this thread about being the cons of being a financial planner. It is a sales job and passing those exams for the licenses is no cake-walk. Often financial planners do not make quota and are terminated. You will also need to have some other finances to fall back on as you grow your business. This is no easy task, especially if you know you are not a sales type.

The other possibility is if you serve a niche market of some sort, say you have an ethnic background where your clients may not speak English well, that will help you make sales over any kind of cold-calling. Or if you or your family are well-known in your community already and have an extensive network to tap. You have to do that with caution, of course. If you don't have this, then cold-calling is probably where you are going to find clients.

Last edited by maus; 07-01-2014 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-01-2014, 01:50 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,645,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
This post is the most informative in my opinion in this thread about being the cons of being a financial planner. It is a sales job and passing those exams for the licenses is no cake-walk. Often financial planners do not make quota and are terminated. You will also need to have some other finances to fall back on as you grow your business. This is no easy task, especially if you know you are not a sales type.

The other possibility is if you serve a niche market of some sort, say you have an ethnic background where your clients may not speak English well, that will help you make sales over any kind of cold-calling. Or if you or your family are well-known in your community already and have an extensive network to tap. You have to do that with caution, of course. If you don't have this, then cold-calling is probably where you are going to find clients.

My advice if you are less sales driven or do not have a big network to work for affluent people start at a bank branch ie chase/wells Fargo as a personal banker. They pay salary in the 30-45k range and you have to get people to open checking/savings/credit cards, whatever they don't have already with you but typically you can also branch out into investments and possibly transition into a financial advisor with their system. The plus side is they have the network of clients and it isn't nearly a high of a failure risk, downside is less money. Learn, grow your practice and then you can possibly plan a transition to a big shop and into their program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment