Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I would NOT tell. It would worry me that Helen wants HR to know. Why should Helen care if HR knows? I don't think Helen is your friend --at least in this situation. For all you know, she made up the asperger grand-kid thing to get information from you.

If push came to shove I would deny telling Helen anything. I would simply say I had no idea what she was talking about, but perhaps she's having hearing or some other type of age-related problems.
I wouldn't go that far. I would simply say that you have a controlled condition and you would appreciate it that Helen would not discuss it further.

With Lanza and Roger, people who have Aspergers already have a difficult hill to climb. Disclosing it especially when your traits are mild and controlled at best would create an awkward work situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,924 times
As an HR manager, Barbara probably wouldn't want to know about your condition as long as it's not affecting your job performance. Even then, she only needs to know what accommodations you would need to do your job properly - not your diagnosis.

Helen may mean well, but she sounds like a pot-stirrer.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
As an HR manager, Barbara probably wouldn't want to know about your condition as long as it's not affecting your job performance. Even then, she only needs to know what accommodations you would need to do your job properly - not your diagnosis.

Pretty much this. Again, if there is no issues with performance or anything like that, this is no need to disclose. Helen, as an older worker, may have concerns, perhaps even a maternal instinct, but if you think you're fine, there's no need to get into it at work. Again, there's also a stigma attached to the Autism spectrum that people who don't understand it may get... nervous.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:05 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post

this^^^. Say nothing to HR. Tell Helen that your therapist has said it will not interfere with your job performance so there is no need to alert HR. Ask Helen not to mention it to anyone (fingers crossed) and in the future, keep your private affairs private.

I'm not saying there is anything to be ashamed of, but people have a tendency to look for trouble when it comes to anything mental health related, especially when they don't understand the condition.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,437 times
I wouldn't tell anyone else.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:24 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,482,937 times
Don't tell anyone else that you have AS. There's no reason for anyone at work to know about that.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
I would tell Helen that I want this to remain in confidence and thanks for the suggestion, but there is no need for HR to know anything about me since it doesn't interfere with my job performance.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,233 times
I'm trying to understand why Helen feels the need to instruct you to inform anyone at your job of your condition. What's the end game for her? I would absolutely not tell anyone at work because it's not their business. She guessed only because she's aware of the condition. But it's not for her to decide who you should tell.

Keep the information to yourself, keep doing an awesome job at work, and I would also limit what you reveal to Helen in the future as she may appear to have your best interests at heart, I doubt she does.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:11 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Should I tell the HR person at my company that I have Asperger's?

No. Disclosing this can only hurt you

Old 06-24-2014, 02:10 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Your diagnosis is not anyone's business unless it starts to affect your job performance. As mentioned above, tell Helen that you have spoken with your doctor and s/he sees no reason to tell HR because your condition does not affect your performance. I would also tell her that you expect her to keep your confidence in this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment