Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:17 PM

820 posts, read 1,214,625 times

Advertisements

Go for it man, life is about living how you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,570,083 times
I assisted in some group interviews recently for a new person in our group.
This is a global company, one of the biggest there is and one of the common themes I heard from others in the group was that no one wanted to even look closely at "job hoppers". Just not worth our time. Stay where you are at.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM

18 posts, read 40,974 times
Ok, from someone else in the industry that worked many years in KC (no longer there now) it's not a bad place. However, it's IT market pays pretty low. The job-hopping isn't that much of an issue if your qualifications are good, and telling recruiters that you love what you do and want to be where the movers and shakers are can explain less than two years on the job easily (hey, flattery about their home city will get you there). While much of the country is out of work, IT is booming (if you have a resume and some work examples, as well as a reference or two who will vouch for the fact that you aren't a nut who's hard to work with).

That being said, you're talking about moving to the MOST competitive IT market around (the left coast). In order to compete, find out who you're up against in your specialty by calling some recruiters, and make sure you're on the level that would get you a shot at a position. This probably means certifications, etc. Also, do what some have mentioned and make a plan. Finish out at least a year where you are and eat Ramen noodles, etc., and put money away, you will easily be doubling your cost-of-living. Prepare for this. Living by the ocean in a beautiful and interesting place will suck if you can't afford to go anywhere or do anything and you live in a shared one-bedroom. I would take a visit or two just to scope out where you want to wind up, and meet some recruiters face-to-face, but save and plan before the jump.

Ok, final thought, if you aren't married and don't have kids or family concerns, plan for it and take the risk. There are plenty of open IT jobs in the midwest, and if your work-ethic and interview skills are good, you can always come back. Don't spend your life thinking "what if"?

Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 PM

331 posts, read 550,100 times
OP, I'm in the exact same position as you. I have a decent first tech job except I have to work out in the middle of nowhere. I hate signing into Facebook and seeing all my friends back in the city having fun and hanging out together. While my employment is technically "at-will", they've invested training into me and expect me to be out here for another year. They wouldn't be happy if I left, especially since a guy on my team left last week. On the other hand, I've gotta do what's best for myself. I don't want my life to be stale for another year. There are exciting jobs in the city, ones where I could be working in high-rise, artsy offices, going to fancy gatherings and be near all the sporting and political events and near all my friends. I would gladly take a pay cut in exchange for being able to live in the big city. There's actually no good reason why I have to work out here (It has to do with cheap office space and some type of tax break or other business deal).

Old 06-23-2014, 05:09 PM

15 posts, read 12,714 times
Guys,

thank you for all your comments, I read all of them. I really love to have some feedback on my decision process, which is going to the end closer every day.

A lot of people, especially those from non-IT fields, would rip my head off for thinking about quitting good, stable job with very good pay. I honestly get to save a lot of money every month. But what the money is for? New car, house, …? I have all I need, except for a house. And I am not planning on having kids either.

It would honestly take me another 3-4 years to save enough cash to buy a decent house in KC area, but thats a place where I don't want to end up anyway. And saving for a house in Pacific northwest? That would take an eternity.

I sort of relate to what const_iterator said. It is nice to be in Kansas City and saving up all that money, but life flies and all my friends are out there having fun in places where I want to be. Actually I feel the very same way as const_iterator. My employment is also at-will, so theoretically I can leave tomorrow. I am not too much worried about a reference, because I can use a reference from my previous company where I stayed almost 2 years. More tricky would be the salary negotiation, because now I definitely have more money than I had with my previous company. I just don't want to be a jerk who sucked up all the training and on-boarding costs and then disappears from day to day. The people here are too nice for anyone to hurt them.

And quitting is risky. I am not worried that wouldn't get a job. I am only worried it may not be same salary and same environment. But it might be better though …

I still don't know what to do ...

Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 PM

390 posts, read 827,715 times
I agree with others. It sounds like you have a great job. Do you realize how rare it is to have a job you enjoy? Stay where you are, get more experience, and enjoy the low cost of living where you currently reside. The grass is always greener on the other side...

Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,013,226 times
Stick it out. Leaving at two months wouldn't be a smart move, especially if you admit that you like your job. Plan to move and set a date for next year. In the meantime, keep saving and make some friends while you're there. People have a way of making things look fabulous on Facebook when the reality may be further from the truth. Fat E. Mcbutterpants (love the name!) is correct to point out that the cost of living will be ridiculous and competition is fierce. Get as many certifications as possible now....you have the luxury to study without the distractions and partying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment