Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It must be Generation Y logic.
Do you get some sort of excitement out of slandering Generation Y all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:38 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Where do I say anything about being disqualified?

Secondly, I shared what headhunters told me about omitting a street address and then I added my own opinion that using a P.O. Box would raise red flags. And it would. Except in towns that use P.O. boxes as a rule, it would create questions in the mind of anyone looking at the resume. In a city or town where people go by street addresses, I'm going to wonder if the P.O. Box was set up because the person isn't really local.
Do you ask why they use a po box or make an assumption and move on?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Do you ask why they use a po box or make an assumption and move on?
If they have what we're looking for, then we'll call them and ask, but it does make us wonder what's going on.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Headhunters told me a few years ago that a recent trend that they recommend is to remove the street address from your resume. City and State will suffice, so there's no need to get a P.O. Box which would just raise red flags.
But wouldn't that also raise red flags to SOME employers if the street/mailing address has been omitted?

I imagine they would question it in the initial phone screening. If not outright asking for your street/mailing address, they may ask you questions that only locals can answer.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
But wouldn't that also raise red flags to SOME employers if the street/mailing address has been omitted?

I imagine they would question it in the initial phone screening. If not outright asking for your street/mailing address, they may ask you questions that only locals can answer.
I did it in my last job hunt, 6 months ago. I leave off the street address for privacy reasons. If they need to contact me, there is a number. They never asked me.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

It could, if they're not keeping up with what's currently being done or if located in a small town that may be accustomed to doing things the way they've always been done.

I work in a major metropolitan area and I'm guessing that more than 90% of the resumes we've received over at least the past two years do not include a street address.

We do not question this when we call them - we're aware it's what people are doing.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Now that I am in need - in the streets with nothing but a suitcase, a shopping bag, and an umbrella - I figure while I'm at it, I'll maybe buy a piece of cake later on using my food stamps, to celebrate my 30th birthday today, after I check in to a women's shelter, after I take the bus uptown.
Well if your truly desperate and reasonably attractive, you can get a job in a strip club or sell your body. I'm sure that's not the answer you want to hear, but one possible solution if you see no other recourse. It may not be moral, but there nothing moral about being homeless and going hungry either.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:03 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,425 times
Quote:
If they have what we're looking for, then we'll call them and ask, but it does make us wonder what's going on.
It shouldn't make you wonder anything at all. People use po boxes, myself included, because they are the most secure way to get your mail. Leave it to hr make having a po box into a conspiracy theory. The incompetence never ends.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
It could, if they're not keeping up with what's currently being done or if located in a small town that may be accustomed to doing things the way they've always been done.

I work in a major metropolitan area and I'm guessing that more than 90% of the resumes we've received over at least the past two years do not include a street address.

We do not question this when we call them - we're aware it's what people are doing.
Yeah, I have seen it in other people's resumes also. Some of my old bosses had me review resumes for teammates.

When we came across resumes without street addresses, it never occurred to us to ask about it.

If we were going to ask a candidate for an interview, HR was going to call them up not send them a letter.

During the interview process, we started off the questioning on their prior SQL experience. Go figure.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Well if your truly desperate and reasonably attractive, you can get a job in a strip club or sell your body. I'm sure that's not the answer you want to hear, but one possible solution if you see no other recourse. It my not be moral, but there nothing moral about being homeless and going hungry either.
The ignorance is staggering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment