Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:21 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,123,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
One doesn't have to sit on the opposite side of the table to understand what another is about and where he or she is coming from. The problem is they continually weed out the qualified candidate in lieu of the unqualified one. Then they whine about a dearth of skilled candidates. A vicious circle indeed. Keep being an apologist for the infallibility of hr foolishness even when many people posted opposite experiences.
But they got the "right candidate"because they are educated enough that they won't jump in six months and we won't fire them after two/three months. The problem companies are too worked with the current bottom line that it affects the future bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 04:34 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,216,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But they got the "right candidate"because they are educated enough that they won't jump in six months and we won't fire them after two/three months. The problem companies are too worked with the current bottom line that it affects the future bottom line.
I totally agree. I would also add the their "right candidate" won't be climbing the ladder too soon and possibly threaten current hr people's positions. Hr has anxiety attacks over this scenario.

Last edited by jma501; 06-20-2014 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,207,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
These assessments should be banned and against the law. They are not indicative of the type of person that they need and in some cases block people based on just sheer personality type.
That's the point: they're trying to assess personality traits in order to screen out applicants whose characteristics don't match those needed for the job.

But there's a bigger issue here: anyone who complains about the application process is indicating that they don't have the kind of positive, can-do attitude that employers (and co-workers) are looking for.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:22 PM

634 posts, read 903,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Macy's has this 100+ question personality assessment, guess what, their turn-over is high. I loved it when my wife applied and got a job at Macy's and she put down "neutral" for every question to rush through it.
LOL....I've been tempted, longest one I did was 80+ questions all asking in slightly different ways if I stole or used drugs, /sigh.

The worst questions relate to integrity and if I would snitch on someone else....none of their business is what I want to say.

I always feel violated after taking these "tests".

Old 06-20-2014, 06:32 PM

634 posts, read 903,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That's the point: they're trying to assess personality traits in order to screen out applicants whose characteristics don't match those needed for the job.

But there's a bigger issue here: anyone who complains about the application process is indicating that they don't have the kind of positive, can-do attitude that employers (and co-workers) are looking for.
Oh puh-lease!

If that were the case then all candidates should be required to take them. Some of the most negative attitudes were the IT, Accounting, and CEO offices.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,301,102 times
You might be surprise what these so called stupid questions combined with serious question reveals about personality type. Take a serious security clearance test; filled with many so called stupid question but with a aim overall.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 PM

624 posts, read 768,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
Yeah, I here yah. When I applied to a box store back in the late 90s, applications were single page documents and the hiring process was very short.

Each new year HR types come up with another layer of BS in the application process.
When I applied at Target and Walmart after I was made redundant, each place was a 3 hour interview, with two different managers. All sorts of stupid interview questions such as, "If you could commit a crime and get away with it, what would the crime be?" And you had to come up with an GOOD answer, on the freaking spot.

What the eff, didn't my psychological profile cover that??? So ridiculous and down right INSULTING, considering the caliber of people I've seen working at both places.

Edit: I decided to persue a 'career' as a nurse's aid, instead of retail. My interiews at the 3 places I worked at took all of 20 minutes and I was hired on the spot. No personality tests, nothing of the sort. Just a few random questions that you'd have to be pretty dumb to flub, and boom, you were in. What's that tell you about the priorities of our society??

Old 06-20-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Your logic is flawed in my opinion. You have to prove cause and effect. You also have to have a control group. Then there's the fact that you are using anecdotal evidence and not empirical evidence. This all amounts to nothing more than an opinion, which is fine, as long as its not presented as a fact. Your last statement makes it sound like your just jealous of those with a BS. I may be wrong, but that's the way it comes off.

See above. They do many things. What is your experience? Is it only that of an applicant that got rejected? These studies and the people that make/use them are the result of huge population studies, millions of dollars of data analysis etc. People with far greater educations than me (and i have 2 masters) studied the data and studied the psychology of human behavior and relationships to come to a conclusion. Reposting a job means lots of things. Being overqualified is a very real condition and a bad hire is very expensive for companies. My guess is your experience is pretty limited in comparison, both in scope and in industry. Again, you come of bitter that you didn't get a job.
And you come off like a corporate mouthpiece.

Just sayin'...

Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
This is all such bull. The post directly above you refutes your response about the tests. I shouldn't have to sell myself. The qualifications on my resume and recommendation should do that. That the hiring process has digressed so far that a person has to be a dynamic con artist spewing buzz words to get noticed by these hr idiots shows the high level of incompetence involved. I am also sick of hearing how overworked hr people are. My longest serving boss taught me the meaning of professionalism. You return every call, every email, etc. No matter what. So suck it up.
Any seriously, in this economy, if the unemployed accountant they hired were to leave 6 months later, there at least 50 other unemployed accountants waiting for the position to open up. Just hire the next guy.

Why is this so hard? So HR professionals can justify their profession, perhaps?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,977,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You might be surprise what these so called stupid questions combined with serious question reveals about personality type. Take a serious security clearance test; filled with many so called stupid question but with a aim overall.
Security clearance test? Do not think so, there is no test for security clearances. You may have a test of some sort for a specific job (like I did for submarine duty), but not for the clearance. When i received my State Department clearance, no test for that, I know of no test just for a security clearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment