Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,362 times

Advertisements

By the end of this year, more likely in October, we will be in Indonesia. My husband has a job offer in Jakarta and his offer comes with bringing his family there to live with him. Of course, that would be the best for everyone but the problem is that would mean i had to stop working. It is actually fine with me but I do not want to be a plain housewife, I want to continue working there.

I am a nurse, based on what I heard, nurses are not so in demand in the country. I am willing to do just anything possible. What work can I do there? I already checked on [mod]snip[/mod] but nothing seems to be working.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-10-2014 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 02:45 AM

324 posts, read 407,538 times
Wow! You are very lucky to be an expatriate's wife. Here in the Philippines expats live extremely well. But I really admire women like you that could afford to stay at home but choose to continue with their career. I wish you and your family the best in Indonesia.

I've heard of work opportunities in Singapore and Malaysia but none so far for Indonesia.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:19 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
1. Ability to get a work visa. Will you legally be able to work? Indonesians don't like expats coming in to take over high paying jobs that can be performed by locals, which is why there are usually strict restrictions on employment visas. Your best bet is probably looking for work through a major multinational that would hire you independently of your husband's status, but I can't tell you how much demand there is for nurses via the multinationals.

2. Salaries. Indonesian salaries are very low. Assuming you find an offer with a local company it's highly unlikely you will make much money. And I do mean not much money. Perhaps a hundred dollars a week for a skilled position? Is that worth working long hours?

While I won't say it's impossible to find work it will be very difficult, and as a trailing spouse you are not alone in this predicament and Indonesia is one of those places where trailing spouses end up being housewives. There are volunteer opportunities to get involved with. There will be charity groups run by expat societies and I'm sure Jakarta has an American women's association, or failing that, a British women's association.

Pick up an activity or two. Learn to play golf or tennis. Join clubs.

Ten years ago I had a niece who followed her husband (US State Department) to Indonesia and she said it was impossible to find work. So became involved in various volunteer groups and took up golf, and yes, learned how to manage her household staff (two maids and a driver). She said she'd originally been afraid of being bored but as it turned out the days flew by and as Jakarta is not an easy city to live in, so much of her time was taken up doing the basic errands that she was ultimately glad not to have to work. The expat community in Jakarta was very tight and she was sorry to leave at the end of their three year stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millfletcher View Post
By the end of this year, more likely in October, we will be in Indonesia. My husband has a job offer in Jakarta and his offer comes with bringing his family there to live with him. Of course, that would be the best for everyone but the problem is that would mean i had to stop working. It is actually fine with me but I do not want to be a plain housewife, I want to continue working there.

I am a nurse, based on what I heard, nurses are not so in demand in the country. I am willing to do just anything possible. What work can I do there? I already checked on Moderator cut: snip but nothing seems to be working.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-10-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 05:22 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
ESP - English for specific purposes - if you can teach medical English, it would be a good opportunity.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You are a nurse and there have to be several charities that are doing medical things in the poor neighborhoods. Doctors without borders type of things (I don't know if they are in that area or not). They might give a stipend, but local pay is low, so a stipend would probably be as much as you'd get from a local job.

Also, check around with embassies. Maybe some of them keep a medical staff. Maybe the schools for foreign national children keep a nurse on staff.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:27 PM

307 posts, read 560,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millfletcher View Post

I am a nurse, based on what I heard, nurses are not so in demand in the country. I am willing to do just anything possible. What work can I do there? I already checked on Moderator cut: snip but nothing seems to be working.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work just to stay busy? Listen to Tallybalt...lots of good advice about working overseas. Workpermit can be a real issue. I have lived and worked in many Asian countries (Philippines, Thailand, Japan, Korea...as well as Europe)...the locals are struggling to get jobs and they won't look too kindly to foreigners taking jobs away from them. Besides, you will have plenty to do just managing and supervising your domestic staff. But if you really want to stay busy...be a volunteer! I have seen ads from Indonesia for ESL teachers...why not teach ESL? Contact the local language school in Jakarta. I did when I was assigned in Korea. That was not my regular job...but had plenty of free time from my regular job so I took a job teaching English. I didn't have to get a work visa...because I was already there on a SOFA (Statute of Forces Agreement) job. Check with your husband's employer...they might be able to help you out.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,269 times
There are many secretarial jobs that is hiring now I am currently looking for a job abroad and I target Indonesia as well. You said you are willing to do just anything; a secretarial job is not so bad.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:35 AM

399 posts, read 568,402 times
Military bases? Do we have a base in Jakarta?. Go to usajobs.com and see what they have in Indonesia.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
I don't suppose you have any trips to Indonesia every now and then? If so, make researches instead - go to user groups and the like networks as much as you can. You will learn more before moving and living there for good.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:33 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
You won't get hired for any "regular" jobs like nurse or secretary, etc., there are too many locals with similar skills either unemployed or working for a wage you would be shocked by, unless you find a western concern needing a westerner. The charity suggestion is very good, lots of needs in that part of the world, try finding out which NGO is active there before you go & make inquiries.

Somewhere the State Department has a list of suggestions for expats partners, google it, & they list things like developing clients for freelance jobs like photography, journalism,teaching at an international school, etc...

If you haven't lived abroad & you have never lived in Asia be prepared for a real process of culture shock, things don't work the same way & people have different values & priorities & it can be very difficult to accept,eg., the role of women, the way they mistreat dogs, really poor children, a sense of fatalism as opposed to an American's sense of possibilities. Things are very different, but the experience can be wonderful & eye-opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment