Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Most firings are probably for political reasons, rather than inefficiency. It's politics, it always is...
I completely disagree. In fact, I would say that you have to seriously screw up to get fired - to the point of being a liability. The only people who get fired for cause are VP's, and even them get a free ride most of the time. No one gets fired anymore - it takes a year of documentation to do it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Well, I have a background in HR and none of the firings I've been involved with were political. Then again I like to follow the law and the company handbook. I really have no desire to pay unemployment to those who don't deserve it, withhold it from those who do and I really have no time for a lawsuit for a wrongful termination.

And way to help with the OP's fear of firing.
If you have a good and well documented reason for terminating an employee, you should have no trouble with it. The people that get into trouble for it are bosses that just fire people on a whim- because they had a fight with their wife or something that morning or because they want to give your position to a more favoured employee or even a relative. So instead of firing you for cause, they try to find an excuse to fire somebody and when you have worked for perhaps years and years at a company and one day a boss- usually a new one- decides he wants to give your job to somebody else, the employee ought to sue the hell out of him. Despite what many people think, employment is not totally "at will"- especially with long term employees that are over 50 years old. At some point a court will find discrimination and/or a contract relationship exist.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 PM

240 posts, read 471,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I would wait to get fired and have the ability to collect unemployment insurance until I could find a new job. If you just quit because you were afraid you were going to get fired, then you are broke and unemployed. You are worse off.
I thought that if you are fired, you can't collect. You have to be laid off in order to collect unemployment, I think that's how it works here in massachusetts.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:13 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo08 View Post
I thought that if you are fired, you can't collect. You have to be laid off in order to collect unemployment, I think that's how it works here in massachusetts.
Depends on each state's employment laws. In Texas you cannot collect unemployment if you've been fired for cause. It's the "cause" part, meaning violation of published and acknowledged rules, that keep you from collecting.

But in the case a PP gave of a cranky boss coming in after a fight with the wife telling someone randomly that they were fired - in Texas they could and should collect.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo08 View Post
It is murky here in Georgia. If you are fired "for cause" you cannot collect but the term "for cause" can be interpreted many ways. For example, if you work at a desk and the boss comes in and says "hey you, go shovel the snow off the sidewalk" and you say "go to hell" and he fires you for "insubordination", he can argue the firing was for cause but he is probably going to lose because he ordered the employee to do something way outside the scope of their normal work. And the employee is going to argue that the task would have been a health and safety hazard or that you are simply physically unable to perform the task(I got a bad back as it is!) to them and that is why they refused it. And employees often win in cases like that.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Witty View Post
I am fifty one and have been fired three times in my life which I guess could be worse. However now my fear is really getting debilitating, last job I quit cos they criticised me and I wanted out before they fired me. After the boss said it was a difficult job and he was NOT planning on firing me. At this point only God can help me, what will I do in a new job which I must find cos of finances etc
Don't give up. I share the same fears and had lost my job in 2003. I am 55 years old. It took three years of moving around to jobs that didn't suit me until I found one I was comfortable with. Keep applying to many places and going to interviews if you get calls (I did NOT get many calls). But I even went to interviews just for practice because I did not feel secure with myself or know how to do interviews very well. I takes a lot of time to learn what to do. Keep on going and things will start taking off. But keep on putting in applications over and over again. That's my advice. Finally someone called me and I prayed, too, that finally after 3 years of looking for the right job it would finally happen, and it finally did. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 AM

732 posts, read 4,158,552 times
When ever you get terminated, you have to sign a document which says the reason you were fired and when. If you dont agree with the reason then dont sign in. Simple as that.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:33 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I completely disagree. In fact, I would say that you have to seriously screw up to get fired - to the point of being a liability. The only people who get fired for cause are VP's, and even them get a free ride most of the time. No one gets fired anymore - it takes a year of documentation to do it anyway.
Umm...where are you from?

In an at will state, they don't need to document a thing to fire you. Talk to an employment attorney and I guarantee they will tell you that if an employer decided tomorrow they didn't like your sweater, they could fire you. Or fire you for no reason at all. That is what "at will" is...either party can end the employment at any time.

I know plenty of people, and myself included, who have been let go from jobs. Maybe you don't know people who have, but many places let people go before they can collect unemployment, so it happens quickly.
Being fired no longer means you weren't a good employee or competent, it means a lot of politics.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:15 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,502 times
In most at will states, it's much much easier to collect unemployment.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Umm...where are you from?

In an at will state, they don't need to document a thing to fire you. Talk to an employment attorney and I guarantee they will tell you that if an employer decided tomorrow they didn't like your sweater, they could fire you. Or fire you for no reason at all. That is what "at will" is...either party can end the employment at any time.

I know plenty of people, and myself included, who have been let go from jobs. Maybe you don't know people who have, but many places let people go before they can collect unemployment, so it happens quickly.
Being fired no longer means you weren't a good employee or competent, it means a lot of politics.
I agree twixcookie! This is why I got let go from my last job, PURE POLITICS. This goes on more and more these days. No one cares anymore if you do a great job. The employees they love are the slackers that know how to play the game. I speak from personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment