Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:18 AM

850 posts, read 1,028,071 times

Advertisements

Hopefully OP got some sleep? My 2 cents, if manager tends toward being a knob/unpolished then fear the worst. But if mgr is pretty smooth, then assume best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,742,298 times
I don't get what is wrong with the manager.....

could be

a.) you're being let go
b.) you're not being let go
c.) you're being let go, but she is telling you about full time opportunities there that aren't in her department and that she may put a word in.

....my guess.... probably C.

either way - it's your job to keep applying.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,001,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I don't get what is wrong with the manager.....

could be

a.) you're being let go
b.) you're not being let go
c.) you're being let go, but she is telling you about full time opportunities there that aren't in her department and that she may put a word in.

....my guess.... probably C.

either way - it's your job to keep applying.
Could even be:

d.) none of the above.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 AM

639 posts, read 1,074,130 times
She will profess her undying love for you and ask you to marry her.

Seriously, you might be right or it might be something else entirely... just be patient and see what happens.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:20 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,757,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
WTF? The manager schedules a meeting and is instantly the worst human alive? Consultants get let go and people usually give notice of meetings. Those are both facts.

There's nothing hostile about it. It's just business.
The manager didn't do anything *wrong* per se. But at the same time, why are they being to secretive about what's going to be discussed and leaving the OP in the lurch? As the OP shows, it can lead to what may end up being unnecessary stress.

Or as someone else aptly put it, they are being a doorknob.

Last edited by 313Weather; 06-05-2014 at 07:53 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 AM

331 posts, read 548,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The manager didn't do anything *wrong* per say. But at the same time, why are they being to secretive about what's going to be discussed and leaving the OP in the lurch? As the OP shows, it can lead to what may end up being unnecessary stress.
You can say that again. She started talking to me through our instant message system near the end of yesterday:

"How are you? I just wanted to give you a heads-up."

"I'm well! How are you?"

"Great, thanks."

"What's the news?"

Then she signed offline. After not signing on for an hour, I assumed she went home for the day. It was time for me to go home as well. I shot her a quick email:

"Hi, [her name]. You wanted to give me a heads-up about something, but we never got to talking about it. I'll be in tomorrow by 9 a.m., or you can email me whenever is convenient is for you."

She emailed me back:

"Ok I'll talk to you tomorrow."

How is a guy not supposed to feel stressed after that??? If it wasn't a big deal, she would've just emailed me back about it. T-minus 2 hours until I find out ....

Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 AM

670 posts, read 1,045,676 times
It's natural to have some anxiety in a situation like this. However, don't start worrying about a problem until you know one exists.

If your contract should not be renewed for some reason, ask if you can use your manager as a reference.

Think positive. Good luck, and please let us know how you come out.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 AM

836 posts, read 1,033,354 times
Personally, I don't think it was cool for your coworker to tell you their good news when they were supposed to keep it a secret. When I received my raise at my previous job, the Manager told me to keep it a secret as not all of my colleagues would be receiving one. So I kept my mouth shut. It's called respect.

I believe that is the true cause to your panic attacks- you are nervous that there can only be 1 piece of good news given and that you will be the one to receive the bad news. I would just sit tight and wait to hear the news (whatever it may be).

Try to stay busy so it will take your mind off of it!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,757,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Personally, I don't think it was cool for your coworker to tell you their good news when they were supposed to keep it a secret. When I received my raise at my previous job, the Manager told me to keep it a secret as not all of my colleagues would be receiving one. So I kept my mouth shut. It's called respect.
That's a good point as well.

All in all, the place seems a bit dysfunctional.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,001,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
You can say that again. She started talking to me through our instant message system near the end of yesterday:

"How are you? I just wanted to give you a heads-up."

"I'm well! How are you?"

"Great, thanks."

"What's the news?"

Then she signed offline. After not signing on for an hour, I assumed she went home for the day. It was time for me to go home as well. I shot her a quick email:

"Hi, [her name]. You wanted to give me a heads-up about something, but we never got to talking about it. I'll be in tomorrow by 9 a.m., or you can email me whenever is convenient is for you."

She emailed me back:

"Ok I'll talk to you tomorrow."

How is a guy not supposed to feel stressed after that??? If it wasn't a big deal, she would've just emailed me back about it. T-minus 2 hours until I find out ....
Lync styncs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment