Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlea View Post
Well that's to be expected. I'm sure some employers would see that as a red flag. Which is completely understandable.

The way I see it though, I'm still young, i don't have any kids or major responsibilities. The time to do things like this is now. If and when I have children in the future then i won't be able to be selfish anymore.

I do want to hear what some other managers think. Would you refuse to hire someone who worked at 2 places in 3 years? That is also common these days as someone mentioned earlier.
TO me, the very arbitrary reasons you left are more of a red flag.

I would be reluctant to spend time and $$ training you because I can't guarantee you won't get restless and quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:23 PM

134 posts, read 252,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
TO me, the very arbitrary reasons you left are more of a red flag.

I would be reluctant to spend time and $$ training you because I can't guarantee you won't get restless and quit.
Well i wouldn't say arbitrary. I think I had very good reasons to quit the first job. I think i have good reasons to quit this current job as well. Only difference is now the reasons are more personal.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,283 times
If you are making a lateral move, I probably wouldn't give your resume as much consideration as someone who had had only one job in the last 3 years. If you think you can move up, that's a different story.

I would be very cautious about moving to a high cost-of-living area without already having a job lined up. It is much more difficult to find a job when you don't already have one.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:

I left my first job because the pay was low and the work was mind numbing.

Honestly, I’m bored with the same old and I’m feeling pressure family to settle down to get married and have babies.
Not arbitrary? Of course you don't see it that way because you are not the one hiring.

Read your words here ^^^^ and tell me honestly how you think these would appear to an employer.

You do not sound anything like someone who even wants to be employed.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:32 PM

134 posts, read 252,329 times
Quote:
Not arbitrary? Of course you don't see it that way because you are not the one hiring.

Read your words here ^^^^ and tell me honestly how you think these would appear to an employer.

You do not sound anything like someone who wants to be employed.
Well here on the forum, im being honest because i am writing anonymously. Obviously, i wouldn't tell an employer that i wanted a new job because i was bored. I would tell them about how excited I am about the opportunities the new city has to offer. I left my first job for a more interesting opportunity. I'd say was a good professional move. If i didn't went to be employed, Id probably be whining about how much i hate my job and not do anything to change it or make it better. So I beg to differ.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:42 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,607 times
Quote:
Well here on the forum, im being honest because i am writing anonymously. Obviously, i wouldn't tell an employer that i wanted a new job because i was bored. I would tell them about how excited I am about the opportunities the new city has to offer. I left my first job for a more interesting opportunity. I'd say was a good professional move. If i didn't went to be employed, Id probably be whining about how much i hate my job and not do anything to change it or make it better. So I beg to differ.
Leaving a job for a more interesting opportunity is different than leaving the job for a promotion (step up the ladder). I agree with other posters that if you are moving up then Hiring Manager will likely look past the small time there, however, if you are looking for a lateral move, they may consider you a job hopper.

It can be done though. I left Company 1 after 1 year exactly for the next position up the ladder (and with it, more money). Then, I left Company 2 after just 3 months. Now, talk about a flake/red flag! lol

My company took a chance on me though and here I am 1 year later with no plans in the near future to leave! So, you just have to demonstrate why you are leaving for that new city, new opportunity.

P.S. I'm 24 (about to be 25) and I hear what you are saying about family pressuring you to get married. About 80% of my friends are married and/or have children. But just make sure you do the research for the new city because the grass may be greener on the other side. I also recommend lining up a job prior to officially moving there. If you want to rent out a hotel for a week to go on interviews, fine. But as far as officially moving, I would wait to get your job locked in place first.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:14 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
I certainly understand your wanderlust, but as a potential employer I would be concerned about what looks like job-hopping so early in your career for rather arbitrary reasons.
This.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
I learned many years ago that companies have no reservations about saying goodbye to you, so why should we have reservations about saying goodbye to them ? They think nothing of letting a person go, usually without two weeks notice, and yet they hold us to a different standard.

A person has to do what is right for them, you are the only person who will truly look out for you. I would just explain it that I have a better opportunity and that I am leaving in two weeks. Usually, when a person gives that two week notice the employer lets you go immediately anyway, they don't want you hanging around talking with people who are staying. Plus, they know you are just a warm body the last two weeks and not being productive.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment