Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:34 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,287,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
They must not be to pass on an opportunity like this. All I can say to them is good luck.
It doesn't sound like all that great of an opportunity to them. No one wants to change their lifestyle if they don't have to. Especially if they have a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,433,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Precisely, there is a large body of folks that choose to work lower wage jobs that do not test simply because they have no ambition to change their lifestyle for someone else.
As long as they don't gripe about their low wages and play the blame game, fine.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,433,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It doesn't sound like all that great of an opportunity to them. No one wants to change their lifestyle if they don't have to. Especially if they have a family.
Sometimes we have to do things we'd rather not do. That is life.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,287,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Sometimes we have to do things we'd rather not do. That is life.
Those people would go forward with the change. But not everyone is desperate. Suggesting those who are not desperate are idiots is absurd.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:52 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,788,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Hand them a cup to pee into.
Haha, good one. You are joking, right?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,131,274 times
How does someone using weed 2 weeks ago on the weekend make them unable to operate machinery?

The anti-weed movement is stupid. I don't do weed, never have, but if we traced for alcohol and created the same stereotypes about that much more dangerous drug, you wouldn't have been able to find anyone then either.

Feel free to link the posting to the job. I'd bet your manager has some stupid filters set up that automatically reject tons of applicants. So far, it has happened every single time that I've looked at a posting with "no applicants". How many people were filtered out for drugs? If you don't know the size of the sample, and how many tested positive, you are posting in ignorance. Stats. If you can't do stats, you may need to spend more time with a textbook and less time with whatever crap you are using to fill your off hours.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:48 AM

7,470 posts, read 7,065,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
About 6 weeks ago, a manager where I work told me that he intended to hire 5 new workers. It's low-skill work that does not even require a HS diploma, but the wage rate is not bad, starting at about $17/hr and progressing to $26/hr after 4 years on the job. Right now the company has more work than it can handle, which means that it is having to pay out a lot of overtime.

Six weeks later, the number of successful new hires: zero, zip, nada. Every worker is required to pass a drug test due to the heavy equipment that is used, and also an 'agility test' due to the physical nature of the job. In six weeks they have not been able to find an applicant who could pass both. Marijuana is now legal here (Washington state). How do you find a 20-something to fill a blue collar job who can pass a drug test? The answer is that you can't. I suggested to the manager that he visit a local Mormon temple and inquire if there were any temple-goers in need of employment.
I'm in favor of legalizing pot because I'm tired of having our limited tax dollars wasted chasing down otherwise harmless dolts for having pot on them. Additionally, I don't like the fact that once these otherwise harmless pot-heads are tossed in prison, they become unemployable and thus turn into career criminals, which makes society less safe and costs the taxpayers even more money. As long as the pot-heads aren't harming anyone but themselves, I don't care what they do - spend our tax dollars fighting real crime (crime that has actual victims) and stop turning pot-heads into career criminals via imprisonment.

That being said, I have no idea what people see in the stuff, but I also have no idea what people see in smoking or getting drunk. As for the utter inability to find workers who aren't stoned, that is not surprising and actually has very little to do with pot's legal status since it is not hard for people to get the stuff even if it is illegal. Here in Maryland, pot is still illegal (though recent proposed laws may be changing that), and yet even here it is hard to find people in low-end jobs who don't at least use the stuff now and then. My last job was at a failing machine shop - classical blue collar environment - and the place didn't even drug test the employees because they knew full well that most of them were pot-heads or otherwise on drugs. So, the legal status of pot had no affect there on anything.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 AM

624 posts, read 767,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Marijuana is detectable for months after you use it, so you can't just give it up and get a job. You have to give it up and then maybe half a year later you'll pass a drug test.
Depending on your weight, and how much you smoke, the THC will be out of your system within six weeks to 90 days. The THC makes it's home in your fat cells. So the folks with a few extra pounds will usually have a longer wait to pee clean.

People who smoke, and find themselves in need of a job, will abstain and buy the home drug test kits to make sure they pee clean when the time comes. Or, they find a friend or family member to provide them with clean pee and then sub that pee for their own. There are also businesses that sell powdered urine that you mix up yourself.

IMO, drug testing is a waste of time and money. The vast majority of adults who smoke would never come to work impaired in the first place. Those who do show up stoned should be dealt with the same as someone who shows up under the influence of alcohol.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 AM

7,470 posts, read 7,065,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
Depending on your weight, and how much you smoke, the THC will be out of your system within six weeks to 90 days. The THC makes it's home in your fat cells. So the folks with a few extra pounds will usually have a longer wait to pee clean.

People who smoke, and find themselves in need of a job, will abstain and buy the home drug test kits to make sure they pee clean when the time comes. Or, they find a friend or family member to provide them with clean pee and then sub that pee for their own. There are also business that sell powdered urine that you mix up yourself.

IMO, drug testing is a waste of time and money. The vast majority of adults who smoke would never come to work impaired in the first place. Those who do show up stoned should be dealt with the same as someone who shows up under the influence of alcohol.
Exactly. If somebody wants to smoke pot, get drunk, or otherwise be goofy on their own time, who cares. And if they show up to work drunk or stoned, they should suffer the appropriate consequences. That's all there is to it - anything else is an expensive double standard... nothing funnier than angry, old people screaming about "irresponsible potheads" who then go out and get fall-down drunk every Friday and Saturday night. We had those at my most recent job... heck, half of management, the company president included, had alcohol problems, though since they didn't drug test anyone, at least they weren't being truly hypocritical about it.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:16 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,003,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Exactly. If somebody wants to smoke pot, get drunk, or otherwise be goofy on their own time, who cares. And if they show up to work drunk or stoned, they should suffer the appropriate consequences. That's all there is to it - anything else is an expensive double standard... nothing funnier than angry, old people screaming about "irresponsible potheads" who then go out and get fall-down drunk every Friday and Saturday night. We had those at my most recent job... heck, half of management, the company president included, had alcohol problems, though since they didn't drug test anyone, at least they weren't being truly hypocritical about it.
My thoughts exactly. Just because a person might occasionally smoke pot on the weekends, doesn't mean that it would affect his or her weekday job. Ultimately, it comes down to personal responsibility on the person's part and knowing when and when not to to partake in these kinds of activities. It's not a black and white situation that employers and people, in general, make it out to be. It's really up to the person whether they want to come in and work high and will need to deal with the consequences for doing so. The drug tests will end up being modified because more states are working towards decriminalizing and legalizing marijuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment