Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,065,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post

I mow the yard myself now and all I have is a push mower.
Perfect. They should not have to meet your demand, and you should not have to meet theirs. It would not matter, btw, if you are 25, 45, or 75, nor what your income is. If 2 parties do not mutually agree on terms, neither is wrong to refuse the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,724,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Perfect. They should not have to meet your demand, and you should not have to meet theirs. It would not matter, btw, if you are 25, 45, or 75, nor what your income is. If 2 parties do not mutually agree on terms, neither is wrong to refuse the deal.
I think in the OP's case if she had asked them before starting if they planned to do a good job or told them payment depended upon them doing a good job they probably wouldve changed their minds and declined the job. I can see kids today saying something like that. "Why didnt you pay us as much?" / "You didnt do a good job" / "You never told us we had to do a good job"

Old 05-27-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I think in the OP's case if she had asked them before starting if they planned to do a good job or told them payment depended upon them doing a good job they probably wouldve changed their minds and declined the job. I can see kids today saying something like that. "Why didnt you pay us as much?" / "You didnt do a good job" / "You never told us we had to do a good job"

Perhaps they would, perhaps they wouldn't. There are however always many companies in any area that will cut your lawn, with people trained to do a good job. They do not, however, flex their pricing structure based upon the homeowner's ability to pay. Nor should they.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,591,768 times
Oh yes, unfortunately. My neighbors 16 year old daughter asked if she could mow and I said I would give her $40 to do it all (my yard isn't that big) and she agreed. I even told her she could use my push mower and she had the gall to ask "Don't you have a riding mower?". She eventually started but she'd stop every 5 minutes or so to take a break and what would've taken just about 20 minutes was more like 40. Add to that she did a horrible job and missed a lot. Once I saw that I told her she missed a lot and she said in a mean tone "I did the best I could!". I then told her she can either re-do it or I'd just pay her half and she just said "I'll just take the money". Funny thing is I found out she did the same with other peoples yards and she always did a bad job.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Oh yes, unfortunately. My neighbors 16 year old daughter asked if she could mow and I said I would give her $40 to do it all (my yard isn't that big) and she agreed. I even told her she could use my push mower and she had the gall to ask "Don't you have a riding mower?". She eventually started but she'd stop every 5 minutes or so to take a break and what would've taken just about 20 minutes was more like 40. Add to that she did a horrible job and missed a lot. Once I saw that I told her she missed a lot and she said in a mean tone "I did the best I could!". I then told her she can either re-do it or I'd just pay her half and she just said "I'll just take the money". Funny thing is I found out she did the same with other peoples yards and she always did a bad job.
Great reason to call a lawn care company. Of course, they will tell you the price and require payment up front.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 PM

372 posts, read 602,895 times
No. Stop acting like all teens are lazy entitled slobs based off a few experiences. Some of us actually work hard but get overlooked because of the ones that act like that.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,375,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Yes it is typical.

It starts with the idea ( planted in their heads by Parents and Teachers, ) that they are special humans, that should be given every thing that they want, with no effort attached to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
As you said, teens don't do mowing much these days.

Teenage bums. I never behaved like those kids.

I used to mow lawns in my teens.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post

I used to mow lawns in my teens.
I did too, and in today's dollars, got a lot more than $20. My typical rate was about $12, when minimum wage was $2.91, for a yard that would take 30-40 minutes to complete. So while the grocery clerk made $1.46-$1.94, I was making 6-8 times as much. Lets see, minimum is now $7.25, that would make the equivalent $43.50-$58 per hour of yardwork.

PS: Not a single customer EVER paid me less than the mutually agreed upon (prior to start) rate! They were honorable!

Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,015,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Thats actually pretty atypical for most of the early teens I run across. They're usually content to just sit around and play XBox, rather than get out and pound the streets drumming up some money. I applaud these kids for doing so, and I'm sure they'll refine their process as time goes by. Personally, i would have provided some constructive feedback to help them going forward - let's hope they've got someone in their life that can do this.
Yes -- it sounds like this might have been their very first job venture.

I think for a couple of 15 year olds on their own trying to make some money by working, they did okay enough. Practice makes perfect -- lots of us weren't perfect on our first day on a new job.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,934,022 times
You think all of that was a lot to deal with and a problem?

They are teens - NOT a licensed, insured and bonded business.

Just wait and see what happens if/when one of them gets hurt while working on your property.

Their parents will have a lot of fun suing you and getting a check from your homeowner's insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment