Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:56 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,443,749 times

Advertisements

CA has Labor Relations boards throughout the state, able to assist with these questions.

You could take the burden off your back by having your SO contact them with the concern about not being paid a minimum wage and being classified as he is for all the overtime that he's putting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 PM

6,227 posts, read 6,966,176 times
Typical for retail management. It is not uncommon to work 60-70 hours a week and only get paid for 45-50.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,061,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strkst View Post
Ok, so my fiance has been manager of a store for about a year and a half now.
He works 6 days a week, 10-12 hour days every day. One day off a week and one extra special day off a month.
A conservative guess at his hours is about 60 hours a week. This would be a slow week for him.
He is on salary and gets paid twice a month $850 dollars.
That is illegal, as shown in post 12. Report the employer to the DOL. There will be a lot of back wages, interest, and penalties.

Last edited by bobtn; 05-23-2014 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 05:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,014,457 times
Quote:
So, my fiance feels like he is incompetent and cannot possibly ask for a raise or more time off ... But more so I am starting to feel like I am wasting my life waiting to be reunited with the love of my life.
Quote:
I believe he could very easily, but that's not what he thinks. He has poor confidence in this area
Quote:
Sigh....he can have a bit of an inferiority complex at times.
If your fiancé is unable to stick up for himself in the workplace then you need to take stock as this could be the pattern of the future and may be something you'll just have to learn to live with.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:32 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,586,200 times
Quote:
Ok, so my fiance has been manager of a store for about a year and a half now.
He works 6 days a week, 10-12 hour days every day. One day off a week and one extra special day off a month.
A conservative guess at his hours is about 60 hours a week. This would be a slow week for him.
He is on salary and gets paid twice a month $850 dollars.
His boss told him that he took care of his wife and 2 children on that much money so my fiance should be able to do the same. We live in Orange County so for a crummy studio apartment it is about $1,000 a month let alone paying for car insurance, food, medical insurance, and utilities, gas, etc etc.
I have worked out the math and my fiance is making around $6.80 an hour, being the manager of a very popular but independent store. Their end of day totals are between 3-5 thousand dollars a day during the week. Weekends are much more.
I am not so good at math so I am sorry if my calculations are wrong....
But from what I have gathered, if he were to be at least paid minimum wage in California, he basically working a month for free every year.
The boss has fired people in the past because they wanted to spend time with their family. In fact he will not hire people if they have children or go to school or have a life at all.
He does not hire enough people to work at the store, so my fiance's work is always more and more and more. So, my fiance feels like he is incompetent and cannot possibly ask for a raise or more time off.
He makes about $24,000 a year after taxes.
In the area managers of smaller businesses seem to make around $35,000 a year working 40 hours a week.
I feel like he is being majorly exploited and it is sad because he is very very loyal, hard working, and knowledgable in his field.
Obviously financially this affects us.
But more so I am starting to feel like I am wasting my life waiting to be reunited with the love of my life. It is a torture because he is always dead tired after work, and on his days off he just wants to sleep. He is constantly feeling sick and anxious about work. Also it is clearly bad for his health as he has no time for exercise, for proper diet and he doesn't even have enough time to see a doctor if he needs to.
We are struggling with this and he is either depressed about work or I am crying because I am alone with out any help from my partner because he doesn't have time for me or we are both upset because life seems to be passing us by.
Any advice or help on this matter or what he could try to do would really help. Thank you.
What he could try is to stand up for himself with this boss and find a new job.
You should stay out of it, it is not your employer and not your place to confront the employer.
If your boyfriend is not willing to change the situation with his job you need to decide if you wish to stay with a man who will not stand up for himself expecially when it is something as basic as being paid the legal and proper amount by his employer.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:04 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,907,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If your fiancé is unable to stick up for himself in the workplace then you need to take stock as this could be the pattern of the future and may be something you'll just have to learn to live with.
I agree and will go further. This so-called "inferiority complex" sounds like a serious psychological problem to me. Does he really feel undeserving of a living wage? Is he really too insecure to send out a resume? Is he more scared of the boss than he is of losing you?

This is a person who needs professional help! Stop sweeping his problems under the rug or they will come back and bite you in a huge way later!

Or maybe he just needs to talk to his father about his situation and get some grown-man advice and a swift kick in the ass.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:27 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,048,691 times
He is grossly underpaid and being taken advantage of. There are lots of jobs available, get your man to find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment